“Bad experience - management doesn't care”

Sonesta ES Suites Cleveland Westlake
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Westlake
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We are staying at this property now for 1.5 weeks after a fire in our home. I expected a great experience in our "penthouse" room at a Marriott property, but I am shocked by how poorly this property is maintained and how little management seems to care.

(1) the couch sinks on one side. For a family of four with a small couch and 1 chair in the living area, being here for 10 days, this is a problem as it only provides seating for two people. (2) the dishwasher doesn't do a good job of cleaning the dishes. We did a load and there was still dried food on most of the dishes. (3) we have used the laundry facilities many times and we have to run the dryer on two cycles and still bring back damp clothes that needs to be hung throughout the hotel room to dry. The dryers are so loud you can't stay in the laundry room. Given that we are here because our dryer caught on fire at our home, this is a serious safety concern. (4) The furniture is generally uncomfortable, and (5) the second "bedroom" is really a a loft with a bed up against an open balcony, so we spend a lot of time worrying that our 4-year old twins will jump/fall over the balcony.

We live in this area and would NEVER recommend that anyone stay here. I travel all over the country for business and am truly shocked that this is a Marriott property.

What is worse is that management doesn't seem to care. For example, we have spoken to the front desk multiple times about the sinking couch and were told (1) we've never heard about the problem with the couch [seriously, it must be a decade old], (2) don't worry we've ordered a new couch and it will be delivered in a month (we are staying less than 2 weeks), (3) we can't swap it out with another couch because there is a liability risk for our staff to move furniture (4) our manager is out of town at a conference and I can't reach her (5) and my personal favorite: "We've found another couch. We need **you** to take time out of your day to come to another room on the property to sit on the other couch and see if it is OK before we move it..." [because hotel staff are not able to determine which couch sinks and which is OK?]..."but it needs to be between 9a - 4p when our staff are here". We work full time and have twins in school so we aren't here during those hours. When we asked our nanny to check out the couch she was told by the front desk "the other couch has the same sinking problem too."

We have also complained multiple times that the dryers don't work but front desk staff don't seem to care. Oh did I mention that the housekeeping staff doesn't always show up to clean the rooms?

This property seems to survive on the fact that there are few other properties in the area with kitchens. If you have an opportunity to stay at another property, or in a 1-month lease for corporate housing, I suggest you take it!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Kris P
There are newer reviews for Sonesta ES Suites Cleveland Westlake

Reviewed 26 February 2014

I usually stay at Marriott properties elsewhere in Westlake; but tried the Residence Inn this time to my great pleasure. Very nice room, well-tuned staff and service and a comfortable stay in front of the gas fireplace on two very cold nights! Thank you, RI, for a great alternative Marriott home in Westlake for my frequent visits!!!

Room Tip: All good; but I always stay on the upper floor (2nd in this case).
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I have stayed here with family around 1 yr ago but we still talk about this place sometimes. I remembered I booked two studios for only 50$/ea. We didn't expect much at the beginning based on the low price. But it totally rocked us over with its huge studio: huge living room with cozy fireplace, full-functional kitchen with dinning space, and large&clean bedding space. The breakfast serving next morning was wonderful as well. We found sausage, eggs, yogurt and etc.(Seriously in most of the hotels I stayed in this price level, I usually only get cold hard muffins and unfresh 'fresh fruit'). And my dad found his old favor -waffle maker. He made each of us a waffle and it reminded us of those mornings he made breakfast for the family when I was a child. We spent a greatly pleasant morning that day.....Anyway, we did have a great time here, though I don't know if they still keep their standards high since my stay was long ago....

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank RukiaKw
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I always enjoy staying here when I travel to Cleveland from Jamaica to visit Hyland Software. I've never had a bad experience and the staff has always been friendly and courteous in the 10 years that I've been doing this trip.

Great job to the team and keep up the good work!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 January 2014

This place is awesome! The price was really good, and all the extras were great. Free breakfast and I mean a full breakfast, waffle station, cereals, eggs, etc. Coffee bar and a hot chocolate bar all day/night. In the afternoons they provided free soup also. On the counter at the front desk was a basket full of brand new scarves, gloves and ice scrapers for anyone who needed them, free of charge. Everyone who works here is super friendly and so accommodating. Our accommodations were perfect. We had a two bedroom unit with a loft. Perfect for us. The kitchen was fully stocked with pots, pans, dishes, everything you need. A nice living room, and nice comfortable beds in the bedrooms. There is not one thing I can think of to improve our stay there. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: There are upper and lower units, so if steps are an issue request lower level.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights over Christmas. I was very surprised that first night at how loud both the heating system and the refrigerator were. The heating system makes a series of clicking noises. Then it goes on at a loud volume. You may not notice this when you initially get to the room, especially if you are tired from driving all day. But it will likely wake you up in the middle of the night. This must be why there is a card by the thermostat asking guests not to turn the heat below 68 degrees. On a related note, you need to turn up the TV volume when the refrigerator cycles on.

As the Marriott web site says that this is one of the original Residence Inns, I figured that all the rooms must have these issues so I never asked to change rooms. Also, as I was out visiting with relatives for most of the day and only in the room to sleep, I just had to put up with these noises a few hours a day. After the 2nd night I got somewhat used to them and wasn't bothered as much. However, I could never stay at this hotel for a business trip where I'd need to work on my computer in the room. I'd never be able to concentrate.

On the positive side, my room was spacious and very clean. The water pressure in the shower was good and there was plenty of hot water. However, I never could get hot water from either the bathroom or kitchen sink. No matter how I turned the faucet while letting it run a couple minutes, the water was always cool. I did like the long counter in the bathroom as there was plenty of space to put my toiletries.

The breakfast buffet was very reasonable and well run. There were scrambled eggs with fixings on the side like shredded cheese, scallions, and salsa. There were fixings for the oatmeal as well such as walnuts and granola. In addition there were yogurt parfaits with granola, fruit, 2 waffle makers so you could make your own, a meat such as sausage, and various breakfast breads like doughnuts and bagels.

I won't return to this hotel as the loud heating system and refrigerator made my time in the room less relaxing than it should have been.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 December 2013

My friends and I were there just one night on December 21 2013. The room was clean and very roomy. It was rainy and awful weather that day. The girl who checked us in was pleasant and inquisitive about how our trip was and if there was anything special we were in town for. She explained about the hot chocolate bar and the available soup. Since it was December the decorated Christmas tree in the lobby was beautiful and just made you want to sit there and watch tv and relax. Since it was a one night stay we did not take our laptop so I don't know about how the wifi was. The gas fireplace was comforting and made the time in the room very calming and serene. DEFINATELY will stay there again. Property was very clean and beds were comfortable.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westlake
Hyatt Place Cleveland / Westlake / Crocker Park
Hampton Inn Cleveland Westlake
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Cleveland West - Westlake
Sonesta ES Suites Cleveland Airport
Sonesta ES Suites Cleveland Airp...
#2 of 11 in Middleburg Heights
DoubleTree by Hilton Cleveland Westlake
Red Roof Inn Cleveland - Westlake

Been to Sonesta ES Suites Cleveland Westlake? Share your experiences!