“Quaint, private, but service to be desired”

White Oaks Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 109 Restaurants in Westlake
Price range: US$23 - US$40
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Casual Fine Dining, Six fireplaces, Scenic views hovering above the Cahoon Creek. Ducks, Deer, Squirrels, Chipmunks are fed daily. Don't be surprised to see wild turkeys, albino racoons, or hawks. Menu has a variety of selections including Filet Mignon, Rack of Lamb, Beef Wellinton, Veal Marsala, Atlantic Salmon, Twin Maine Lobster Tails just to name a few. Meals come with a tray of relishes and cottage cheese, fresh tossed house salad, homemade twiced baked potato, stir fry vegetable, and fresh in house baked bread from our exposed ovens ...served with honey chive butter. A former speakeasy during prohibition, the main hallway has remarkable memorabilia with old menus, pictures, adorning the walls for customers to enjoy. An overall grand experience awaits at White Oaks. Celebrating 88 years in business!!
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Food was great - good portions. A bit odd that the standard starter fare is cold veggies and cottage cheese. Server was very disinterested in our business, but I would go back again - though, only using Groupon deal.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

first time I ever ate here was 1982. just had the chance to go back after 30 plus years! service and meal just the same as it ever was! GREAT!

Reviewed 1 October 2013

I want to be careful not to rave too much about this fine old place.If you live hereabouts you already know about it. If you're visiting, you should. I've been around here for nearly thirty five years and my admiration increases with every visit. This place exemplifies every element I know of that defines a first class spot:
1. Great food well made and served with grace.
2. Big drinks
3. Very nice people
4.An elegant old building in a stunning setting.
5. Owners who live there and look after their business.
6. (and) prices you can pay.

If you're visiting and staying in one of the hotels nearby I'd suggest you look into the bar before being seated in the dining room as a "party of one". I've never liked that and the road cats reading this will know what I mean. It's a delightful little room with a fireplace, a TV and windows overlooking a verdant (or) snow covered ravine.

The "Oaks" was, in 1928, a "speak". The sliding panel on the men's room door attests to that. So does the sign that announces,"Old Overholt. . .Twenty cents.

You'll like this place.

Reviewed 7 September 2013

We have been to the White Oaks many times through the years for various celebrations. It had always been a good experience. However, this visit will be the last, I'm afraid. First of all, there were no parking spots left if you wanted to park yourself - but many spots were free and designated as "valet". It was ridiculous because there were all kinds of empty spots right across from the entrance that did not require valet service. My husband told the valet he wanted to park by himself and the valet complied, but did add the service was "complimentary". Valet is always "complimentary", but who doesn't tip when it is used? Our table was wonderful, looking out on the scenic creek and woods behind the restaurant. The menu items sounded very tantalizing, as always. I elected for the Normandy pork and a companion for the "Sunshine Chicken". A third companion got the Ahi tuna. My Normandy pork medallions were tasteless and dry, some of which I attributed to a lack of sauce and an overabundance of apples, dried cranberries and almonds. I told the server, who said she would bring out more sauce. It did not arrive until at least 10 minutes later, after I was done eating all I wanted to eat. It was delivered by a male server (not our regular), who quickly set it down and I noticed it was all apples, dried cranberries and almonds - no sauce. When I mentioned this to the male server who brought it, he sarcastically said "Sorry", and sped off. This was aggravating enough, but also my companion who ordered the chicken said hers had a funny taste. She did not finish hers. I asked our regular server to get the manager, and he took his time getting to our table. His personal demeanor would have had me guess he was not the manager, and his attitude was equally unpolished. After airing my complaints, he simply said "I'll adjust the bill" and sped away, my unfinished plate in hand. When the waitress returned with the boxed remainder of my meal (which no one plans to eat for obvious reasons), she simply gave us the check. Yes, the manager had taken off part of my dinner, but charged me $4.95 for a "dinner salad" which had come with the meal. I cannot help but think he spitefully added the $4.95, just because I had the audacity to tell him about the food and flippant male server. We paid the bill, but I can assure you we will not be going there again. I learned the manager is part of the family of owners. I shudder to think what the future holds for the White Oaks if the other family co-owners treat customers in such a curt, unprofessional way when they voice a concern about the food. To be fair, I will say that the female server did her job admirably and that is why I gave the restaurant a "poor" instead of a "terrible". Also the third member of our party did enjoy his meal. But we will not be going back. For a restaurant that has such a pricey menu, better food and attitude are expected...and a parking spot right across from the entrance that does not require a valet.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

Had a very enjoyable meal here last night. We had the tenderloin of pork and the salmon and we both enjoyed the meal. Waitress was pleasant and checked on us while we ate. The relish tray is a nice touch, the bread was warm, and the salads were crisp. The atmosphere was primarily for an older crowd however, there were a few children eating. We will keep this restaurant on our short list.