“Surprised and impressed”

Red Roof Inn Cleveland - Westlake
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Westlake
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I normally stay in a Hilton/Marriott type hotel, so I wasn't expecting much from the Red Roof Inn. However, I was traveling alone for a quick funeral trip, and I didn't want to spend too much. The hotel was right off the highway and easy to find, and the check-in person was friendly and helpful, but as I carried my bag up the outside, wooden steps, I was NOT expecting much. However, as soon as I opened the door, I was pleasantly surprised. The room had a huge king bed, four pillows, a microwave, fridge, and large-flat screen TV. One comfy chair was next to the TV (the stand had three large drawers, which I also liked, since I always unpack, even for one night). Another nice office chair was in front of a large L-shaped desk area. There were two nice lights on bed, another light overhead, one on the desk area, and several near bathroom, which was pleasing. The bathroom was small, but scrupulously clean with a semi-circle curtain rod which made the tub seem more spacious. Next to the bathroom, there was a long counter area (loved the space!!) with a sink and large mirror (another large mirror in desk area). A luggage rack and closet rod with hangers was against wall, as well as an ironing board and iron. A blow dryer was next to sink. Amenities were so-so (Pantene shampoo w/condition built in, two bars of soap), but towels were plentiful and room set-up was great. Furnishings were perhaps not super high-quality, but I honestly loved the room. It was so spacious and airy, air conditioning worked well (normally I hate wall units), room was quiet, and shower pressure was high (hallelujah!). I didn't really watch TV besides catching the morning news, but there seemed to be a lot of channels (and some premium), and I didn't try the coffee, but there was a coffeemaker and coffee. I didn't use it, but there was a "room service" outside service that would deliver food. It looked pretty good and reasonably-priced. I wish I had seen it before I went looking for food on a Sunday night, but I didn't assume a hotel like the Red Roof would have room service. I'm shocked that anyone would find the rooms dirty. I can truly say it was probably the cleanest hotel in which I've stayed. Plus, when I left the next morning, there was a gentleman walking around the parking lot picking up any litter (not that it seemed like a problem) and a woman washing outside windows. I got a great deal on my room (had a coupon through a booking site) but even without it, the room was significantly cheaper than any of the surrounding hotels and I was really happy. I didn't bring my camera, so I just took a few quick pics with my phone-not the best quality, but you can see (I hope) that room is both big and very clean (bed looked better before I sat on it and threw luggage there!). Highly recommend!

Room Tip: My room was on the second floor, corner, near the highway. I was shocked that it wasn't louder...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank 03040810
Jim E, Manager at Red Roof Inn Cleveland - Westlake, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such an extensive review of your stay with us! All of the staff, but especially the housekeepers, were very happy with your comments as we all take pride in the appearance of the property and our rooms. We will be happy to provide the same accommodations the next time your return to the area, and we sincerely hope your travels bring you here for a more pleasant reason.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Westlake Red Roof Inn room was very nice only complaint is upgraded to King room to get free wireless so I could do work and wireless was spotty and unreliable. Very slow and kept disconnecting due to weak signal strength.

Room Tip: Don't expect wifi so go for the cheaper room.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Jim E, Manager at Red Roof Inn Cleveland - Westlake, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Thank you for writing a review of your recent stay with us. Not only our Superior King rooms, but all of our rooms come with free Wi-Fi. We are very sorry you had connection issues during your stay. I have contacted our provider to ensure that our Wi-Fi is working as it should and available to all of our guests. Thank you again, and we hope we can better serve you the next time you are in the Cleveland area.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

It was a quiet, nice night at this Red Roof Inn. The room was a little small but clean. The staff was nice. Check-in took a long time due to their computers crashing, which seemed to happen often. I did not have any issues with any noise from the other patrons, I was even surprised how quiet the hotel was. The location is good, close to Crocker Park and easy to get to from the highway. Overall, it was a good value for the area.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. Please accept our apologies for the computer issues which caused your check-in time to be longer than it should have been. After you were finally checked in, the staff and I are very happy you had a nice, pleasant stay and found us to be a good value. Thanks again, and see you next time!

Reviewed 7 August 2014

The sign at the entrance that says "All New Rooms" is misleading! Although the room we were assigned was remodeled, it was DIRTY! There were stains on the comforters amd bed skirts. There was grime around all the light switches and on all the lamps. The fronts of the refrigerator and microwave were greasy and covered with fingerprints. The AC produced a pungent mildew odor!!!! All throughout the evening until around 11 pm, we were subject to a BBQ and beer festival hosted by several guest two doors down from our room. These guests apparently stay at the hotel for weeks at a time and as a result have a small BBQ grill on which they prepare meals. The evidence of their party (about 12 empty beer cans left outside their door) was left behind! I actually took a picture of the cans in the am which I will post upon my return home. As a result of their noise, we wore ear plugs and turned up the fan on the AC, however this resulted in all of us having sinus headaches in the morning! At around 7 am we were awakened by the cleaning staff's boisterious conversation in the laundry room which was around the corner from our room. Upon our rude awakening, we attempted to shower only to discovery that we did not have enough towels! When I walked around the corner to request a towel I was told to go to the front desk which I did only to receive the smallest bath towel I have ever seen! While returning to the room I discovered the beer can pile and promptly took a photo with my cell phone. A maid saw me, and scurried to remove the cans which I found odd since it was already 7:45 am and the cans didnt seem to be an issue until I took a picture?!?! I am confused how this hotel is so highly rated by others!

• Stayed: August 2014
Jim E, Manager at Red Roof Inn Cleveland - Westlake, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Thank you for writing a review of your recent stay with us. Please accept our sincerest apologies for all of the issues you encountered!

We take the cleanliness of our rooms and overall look of our property very seriously, and I apologize that you were checked in to a room that was not such and found trash littered on the property.

We constantly monitor activity on the property for the safety and security of our guests, and if any guest is found to be disturbing others, he will be given a warning first and then asked to leave if he does not comply. I am sorry that we missed someone disturbing you during your stay, but had we received a noise complaint from any guest about another, we would have taken immediate action.

So that our guests are not disturbed in the morning, Housekeeping and Laundry staff are not permitted to start working before 8:30 am during the week and 9:00 on the weekends. I am very sorry that you were disturbed by the staff, but I am puzzled at how this happened at such an early time. I am also sorry that you had to see the trash left behind by others, but I am happy a staff member immediately picked it up as he or she should.

We take great pride in providing our guests clean, comfortable rooms on a property that is well maintained and free of trash, and again, we are very sorry we failed to do so in your case. We hope that you will give us another chance to earn your business should you travel to the Cleveland area again.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

The front desk workers were very nice when we checked in this afternoon - no complaints. After showering, we realized there was no hair dryer. We have not stayed at a hotel that did not provide a hair dryer in at least ten years. When we called the front desk, we were told only the superior king had hair dryers. I have never heard of such a thing. The front desk attendant did not offer the use of a hair dryer. Now we will be searching for a store to find a hair dryer. The website needs to indicate that hair dryers are only included in specific rooms. Also, it seems this is a popular hotel for extended stay construction-type workers. There were several groups who were grilling on small grills in the parking lot using car spaces. The room seemed clean, but there was definitely an odor (pet, I think) when we walked in the door. Not sure we would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We are very sorry about the confusion over the hair dryers. Our Superior King rooms are equipped with hair dryers, and we have them available at the Front Desk as well. I am not sure why you were not offered one when you inquired, but you should have been, and we apologize for that. We also ask that you accept our apologies if any of the other hotel guests who were gathered disturbed you. Guests who disturb others are given a warning and then asked to leave. Finally, your room should have had a fresh, pleasant odor, and not one of pets, and we apologize for that as well.

We hope you will give us another chance to better serve you when you return to the Cleveland area. Please contact me directly, and I will personally ensure your next visit is better!

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed there for two nights. The first night was wonderful. We needed a few things and John and Mckenzie were so gracious and took their time to accomodate us with the items. We are from another state so we also needed suggestions on where to go and cabs. Mckenzie and John at the front desk were more thank helpful and wonderful.

The next morning we needed more towels...it seemed to be an issue with getting us towels. They only gave us bare minimum amount of towels...their complimentary shampoo was a shampoo and conditioner in one...so make sure not to forget your shampoo or go get your own.

Unfortunatelly, we also noticed bugs in our bath tub....they strongly resembled baby roaches....lets hope that those weren't roaches, but one of us found one in our beds....

The appearance of the room was very clean and the beds looked and smelled clean. I happened to walk by the laundry fascility and noticed that they even wash their comforters.... there is no cigarette smell anywhere around that place and even thought it is by the highway, the place is quiet around there.

Every single person who works there who we encountered were nothing but extremely sweet to us and polite. We appreciated that very much.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for writing a review of your recent stay with us. Jon and McKenzie were very happy to see that they were mentioned and that you were happy with the service they provided. On the other hand, I apologize for the issues you had with the simple request of extra towels and for the issue of bugs in your bathtub. I will address these problems with the staff, and I hope they do not prevent you from staying with us again. Thank you again, and we hope to see you in your future travels!

Reviewed 23 July 2014

My husband and I were tired on the road and, unlike our usual pre-planned stays, hadn't made prior arrangements. During dinner, while checking his tablet, he found this place and there was a vacancy. He typed it into our GPS, and when we arrived, the desk clerk was friendly and helpful. Our room was in another building where they all had outside entrances. Although there were no special amenities like a continental breakfast, we slept so well that we had a late start and decided to have brunch an hour later, further down the road. I recommend spending a night or more here, depending on your itinerary!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ileen E
Jim E, Manager at Red Roof Inn Cleveland - Westlake, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Thank you for writing a review of your recent stay with us. I'm glad that your husband found us on his tablet and that we had a room available for you as Cleveland has been abound with activity this summer! We very much appreciate the comments about the friendly and helpful Guest Service Representative. Thanks again, and we hope to see you the next time you are in the area!