“Avoid this hotel at all costs!!!!!”

Days Inn Wheelersburg Portsmouth
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Wheelersburg
“Avoid this hotel at all costs!!!!!”
Reviewed 19 July 2010

Recently my family and I stayed at this hotel. It was our last stop on our way home from a nice vacation. If only I knew how horrible staying one night in this discusting run down hotel could be. As we pulled into the parking lot on our motorcycles I noticed that the exterior of this hotel was a bit rundown and in desparate need of a renovation. I know they say don't judge a book by it's cover but in this case we should've gotten right back on our bikes and drove far far away. As we entered the lobby to checkin I noticed that the continental breakfast area was less than to be desired. The staff at checkin were not very friendly. We got our room keys to 3 separate rooms and headed that way to unload. Upon entering our room I was hit in the face with the awful stinch of cat urine. It smelled so bad it made me gag. The carpet was old and filthy coming up in the corners. The couch had brownish colored stains on it. The bathtub was old and nasty. I walked down to my parents room to see how their room was. Again the carpet was old and filthy, but at least it didn't smell of animal urine. My dad then tells me that the people in the room next to them had two dogs. It then made since why our room smelled so bad. My sister and her
husband stayed in a room on the
other side of the building from us
and it didn't get much better for
them. Their carpet was filthy,
potato chips were all over the floor
in fronton their sink, there were
ants crawling up the wall. Brown
spots to the furniture and their
bathtub buckled under your feet
and felt like you were going to fall
through the floor. The worst part of
the whole stay was the next
morning when we awoke with bites
from bed bugs. I cannot express
how disgusted I am with my stay at
this hotel. I've stayed at other
Days Inns before and this place
definetely doesn't live up to the
Days Inn name. We were charged
75.00 a night which was way over
priced. If they can charge you that
much then they can afford to clean
this place up. Housekeeping? What's that? It apparently doesn't exist at this place. If you want a room that you can rent by the hour then this is the place for you otherwise AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!!!!!! Will be reporting this place to the health department.

4 Thank Fireyredhead
LotusConsultantsLLC, Director of Sales at Days Inn Wheelersburg Portsmouth, responded to this review, 18 August 2011
Dear Guest,

We deeply apologize that you had such a bad experience at our Wheelersburg location. Also, we are very sorry this response is over a year from your review. Since your stay, last year in July, we have changed the carpet, bedding, furniture, and renovated the bathrooms. We have also added brand new Samsung 32" High Definition LCD TV's in all of the rooms.

The hotel is still pet-friendly and we apologize you were able to smell the pets, however we have designated certain rooms to allow pets and if you do not wish to be near one it is very easy for our front desk to assign a room not near a pet occupied room.

As far as the bugs, every hotel in Ohio is faced with this epidemic and we take every measure to ensure that no room has any presence of bed bugs. All of our housekeepers have been through hours of training in spotting bed bugs. Every few days we have the rooms and the exterior inspected, sprayed, and maintained by a professional pest removal company. Thankfully, we have never had any cases of bed bugs in our hotel. I would assume, since you were riding bikes around, maybe you were bit during the drive. Wheelersburg is nestled in the Appalachians and we have plenty of ‘wilderness’ to enjoy. If you are planning to be outside, I would suggest bug repellent. However, once again, we have never had any bed bugs in our hotel rooms.

If you are travelling in the area, please stay with us again and we will offer you a 25% discount for mentioning this review. Come see all our new amenities!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Reviewed 16 July 2010

My wife and I along with 2 other couples stayed in 3 separate rooms, all 6 of us woke up covered in bed bug bites! My wife had a bad allergic reaction and had to seek medical help, another couple ended up spreading the bed bugs to thier house! I wouldn't stay there again even if they paid me to!!!

4 Thank Bluzman
North Carolina
Reviewed 9 May 2009

I am writing this review as I look around my room. The carpet is filthy. The mattress looks old and ripped in places. Bathroom is old. I do not think this hotel will stay in business much longer. Uugggg !

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank WilsonNC
Ohio
Reviewed 9 December 2008

My experience here was disappointing. The hotel was dated and badly in need of renovation. The furninshings and pillows were dirty and old. The ice maker did not work. The breakfast was slim and not up to par. The carpet is old and filthy, however the front desk and housekeeping staff was friendly and accommodating. It was obvious that the housekeepers were doing an excellent job with what they unfortunately had to work with. It's a shame this hotel is in such desperate condition given its prime location. In my opinion the owners need to put some serious money into this hotel to be worthy of the Days Inn name.

• Liked — Housekeepers
  • Disliked — The Owners
  • Stayed December 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Rick68
wisconsin
Reviewed 10 June 2008

This hotel seems decent from the outside, but the service towards my husband and I was far from superior. We had a long-term stay because my husband was working in the area. They did not care to give us a clean room or allow us to check-in anytime earlier even with prior arrangements due to arriving at 6am with our baby. (The hotel was not even close to full that day) My husband also requested a ground-level room which we were not given. Our housekeepers were very friendly; however, our floor in our room was just gross. Our feet turned black whenever you set your foot onto the carpet. Our poor baby was covered in black from crawling around. It just did not live up to our expectations for the price we payed for this hotel. Needless to say, we found a much cleaner apartment for the same cost as a weeks worth stay at this hotel. :)
Pool was nice.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank aaronw1980
Perrysburg, Ohio
Reviewed 17 October 2007

I booked the room through Days Inn Reservations and secured the room with a credit card and was told the room would be held until midnight. I arrived a 8pm and found the clerk had given my room away at 6pm. They then placed me into a filthy room where the door only unlocked with a master key. The TV had no cable, the smoke alarm was chirping due to a low battery, the air conditioner did not work, the tub was filthy, and the ceiling had patches where it had leaked. I complained to Days Inn but got no satisfaction at all. The next day they had a new room for me so I had to move all of my things around to the other side of the building. The new room was as bad as the first. The floor was filthy, the microwave was beeping, the chair at the desk had semen stains on it, and several lamps had no bulbs. Again I called Days Inn direct but nothing was done, The clerk told me she had given me a discount but the rate she told me was the rate I was originally supposed to pay. If you want to stay at a hotel that charges by the hour this is the place for you otherwise you would be significantly better off if you slept in your car. Avoid this place at all costs.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — filthy and poorly maintained
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank roadwarrior5
Perry, Ohio
Reviewed 10 August 2007

My wife and I have stayed 3 times at this hotel. The internet never worked, the first room we were put in had supposedly been remodeled but had no towel rack, no clock, no dryer, the carpet was nasty, and the work was very poorly done (what little work we could see). We thought we could give them a break because they were remodelling so we stayed a second and even a third time. The beds are stained, the showers are stained, the "remodeling work" is sub-standard, the internet only works in the office, the dining area (a tiny room with crap for food) was kept at about 60 degrees with TWO air conditioners running flat out, the manager was never on site and when we finally got ahold of him to complain (forget about Days Inn customer care) he was vacationing in Florida (explains where all the hotel maintenance fees have gone). He promised to send us a business card for 50% off and that never happened. We are heading back down there again but this time we have reservations at the Comfort Inn.

Stayed June 2007
1 Thank ddfarren
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wheelersburg
Comfort Inn
#3 of 6 in Portsmouth
Franklin Furnace Inn & RV Park
Franklin Furnace Inn & RV Park
#2 of 2 in Franklin Furnace

Been to Days Inn Wheelersburg Portsmouth? Share your experiences!