“Bad value, inflexible and billing mistakes”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Youngstown W - I-80 Niles Area
Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Youngstown
GreenLeadersSilver level
Clarkston, Michigan
“Bad value, inflexible and billing mistakes”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This stay could have been enjoyable the accommodations were okay... But the hotel is pricey for what you get. The front desk quotes policy not prevalent at other Holiday Inns and additionally misquoted charges then billed a higher price. (Eventually the bill was adjusted but why not just get it right the first time?)
Further the breakfast had a huge variety of food but somehow it all tasted the same. I read reviews about hot appetizers/wine but saw none of this. Coffee was in the breakfast area but it was closed due to the carpet being cleaned. The only special touch was cookies by the front desk. We stayed here two nights but for the price there are better places to stay.

Room Tip: There is another hotel being built next door,...maybe try that.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank swimbaseballmom
Anthony C, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Youngstown W - I-80 Niles Area, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
swimbaseballmom,

Thanks for the review of your recent stay at our Award Winning hotel!! As such, we pride ourselves on our outstanding service & accommodations,as told by other reviewers and are sorry to hear you feel differently. We do our Managers Reception with appetizers and drinks as a thank you to our guests Monday through Thursday from 6:00-8:00 in the evenings and are sorry you could not participate. I will be passing on your comments to the staff and thanks again for your review of our Award Winning property. Safe travels in the future and we look forward to your return!!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Grafton, Wisconsin
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This hotel was a wonderful surprise! They have clearly gone to great lengths to break out of the pack & offer thoughtful & unique touches for their guests! We arrived late afternoon to be greeted with hot appetizers & drinks (including wine & beer) in the dining/lobby area which was nicely decorated with "homey" accents. The staff was friendly & helpful and the hotel spotless! Our room was large, clean, fresh & comfortable. A nice special touch in the room was a welcoming note on the bed & a Twizzler candy. In the morning they offered a delicious free breakfast that included a wide array of both hot & cold items. My husband was particularly fond of the fun pancake making machine! All in all, a great experience!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mzzipi
Alyssa J, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Youngstown W - I-80 Niles Area, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear Mzzipi,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on our award winning property. My hotel prides itself on being able to add those unique touches you mentioned for our guests. Going above and beyond is something we strive to do daily. It makes me very happy to know that our staff was able to WOW you during your stay. We hope you come and visit us again next time you are in the area.
Mesa AZ
Reviewed 30 May 2014

After having stayed at numerous name-brand hotels in the Youngstown area, we decided we would stay in Austintown at the Holiday Inn Express because of the rate. We had been dreadfully disappointed with all the hotels on 224. We could NOT have been more pleased with the Holiday Inn Express. Every facet of our stay was perfect - the friendly staff, the beautiful rooms, the EXCELLENT beds and bedding, the size of the room, the free internet, the lighting in the bath, the rain shower, the water pressure, the sound proofing, the amazing hot and cold breakfast buffet - FREE...one of the best I've seen. And the location turned out to be convenient to everything - just minutes from the freeway. We will stay here again. We loved it!

Room Tip: All rooms are the same - all great!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Alyssa J, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Youngstown W - I-80 Niles Area, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank you for your kind words. We really strive to provide excellent serivce here at our award winning hotel. I've very glad to see we were able to do that for your stay with us. We hope that if you are ever coming back to the area, you stay with us again so that we can continue to WOW you with all the amenities we offer, and our excellent staff.
Warren
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Business trip that took me across Ohio made this a good choice on the outbound trip. I was rather astounded that this was pretty much the only HIX with any vacancy in the area.

I haven't had very good luck with lodging in this area in the past, it's nice to find a good one at an affordable price.

First night there was good enough I reserved for the return trip, glad I did, as weather was somewhere between thunderstorms and tornados and it was good to know I had a good spot to come back to.

The location on this for I-80 is first rate, easy-on, easy off, lots of services at this exit.

Room Tip: I was next to elevator/laundry and even that wasn't too noisy.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Alyssa J, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Youngstown W - I-80 Niles Area, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our award winning hotel. I'm glad to hear we made such a good impression that you returned to our hotel on your trip back. I'm also glad to hear that your second stay was just as good as your first. We hope you come visit us again if you ever return to the area.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Mostly the hotel was nice. Convenient location off I-80; small indoor pool; clean; usual HIE breakfast OK. But for over $120; to have only a trickle of cold water come out of the bathroom sink is ridiculous!

Room Tip: Try to get a room with decent water pressure?
Green Features: OK. In addition to waste cans; should have recycle bins for plastic and paper in breakfast area.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Devan P, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Youngstown W - I-80 Niles Area, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our award winning property. Here at the Holiday Inn Express Youngstown West we strive to make every guest stay with us a memorable one. I apologize that we did not meet the expectations you set for us, and the expectations we set for ourselves. We have notified our Engineering department about the issue and we have resolved it. I would like to again thank you for notifiying us of our shortcomings, as we always use these as training initiatives so that we can continue to be an awarding winning property. We hope you will give us another chance to WOW you the next time you are in the Youngstown area!
Livonia, Michigan
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Holiday Inn Express is my go-to brand and the Austintown location is a big reason why. Five grown men, one Chrysler Town and Country and a trip to Gettysburg... where to stay on the way there? I searched high and low and found this brand new Holiday Inn Express, easy on and easy off the Turnpike. We arrived very late in the evening and were greeted with a warm cookie and a smile. Even as grumpy, saucy and surely as we were from being in a confined space all day, the staff humored us and made sure we had everything we needed. The Suites were fab and gave us plenty of room to spread out. Rooms are comfy and wow is this place clean! The hot breakfast was a great way to start the final leg of our trip and we were ready to hit the road!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Devan P, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Youngstown W - I-80 Niles Area, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Dear TK2012114,

Thanks for the awesome review! Our number one goal is to make sure every guest leaves here feeling more relaxed and rested then they did when they checked in. It's great to hear that our staff accomplished just that! We hope you had a great time on your trip to Gettysburg, and we look forward to seeing you the next time your in the area!
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Sean at the front desk was wonderful. Welcomed as an IHG Ambasador and treated as such. asked if they had wine glass and he said no. I got a knock on the door 1/2 hour later and there he was with two nice wine glasses he went out and bought. Brovo I will be back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Devan P, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Youngstown W - I-80 Niles Area, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Golflad69,

I'm so glad to hear that our staff went beyond your expectations! It is our #1 goal to make every guests' stay a memorable one, especially our IHG Ambassador members. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel the next time you are in the Youngstown/Niles area!