“expensive and stuffy”

Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Zanesville
Tiffin, Ohio
“expensive and stuffy”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

It was clean. The breakfast was excellent. The hallways and breakfast areas are were very stuffy and the aid conditioner didn't seem to cool the room that well either. Way over priced at $159 per night! Staff was friendly. Was not impressed that the curtains did not completely close and that our view was a train track which consistently had traffic throughout our stay. Not the best place to build a motel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This is a very typical fairfield inn, a nice clean updated facility with a pool and really great breakfast. The staff is very friendly and knowledgeable about the local area. We stayed two nights on a recent trip to the Wilds in Cumberland Ohio and enjoyed the stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Temperance, Michigan
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Being a Marriott Rewards member, I stay at many Marriott Hotels every year. This Fairfield Inn is what In would call "Typical", thats not a bad thing, but a good thing. The facility was clean, comfortable and the staff was efficient and friendly at check in. Again, what I've come to expect from Marriott. Its not a 5-star hotel, but with a corporate rate of $89, you would not expect it to be.

The pool area was clean, and looks to have been recently renovated. Like most Marriott's, the breakfast is complementary, which is a benefit and convenient when your in a hurry.

Overall, a nice hotel and I would recommend it.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Maryland
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We arrived about 7:00 PM after a 9 hour drive, just needing a place to sleep for one night on our way to Maryland.

I had booked an executive king room, which is larger with a sofa sleeper. Upon entering our room, I saw that it was a smaller room with 2 queen beds. As a Marriott Platinum, I have never had this happen (the other type is more expensive, but I wanted the space). I was told that the larger rooms weren't available (even though I booked it online?!). As a courtesy the front desk gentleman gave us $20 off. The queen beds did end up comfortable so it was okay, just not really acceptable to do this.

The room smelled like either someone was smoking in the hallway or had done so in the room. I always bring a travel candle, so that helped a bit. The beds didn't smell, just the room in general. I choose Marriott for, among other reasons, the fact that in the US all their properties are non smoking. By morning it didn't smell but still that was unpleasant.

Last negative, yes the walls are SUPER thin. I suppose that is typical of a smaller property of this type. I use a white noise app on my phone to help cut down on the sounds, and luckily I don't think they were busy at all that night.

The positive aspects of this property are that it's convenient to I-70. The bed was very comfortable. The staff seemed to be friendly. There are enough choices nearby for a quick dinner (we did Chinese carry out and ate in the breakfast area, as we were too tired to eat in the restaurant). They have coffee and juice all day. Breakfast looked fine, but we weren't very hungry so just grabbed a bagel and banana in the morning. Water bottles would be a nice touch though!! I did like the fridge and microwave in the room. The fridge actually has a separate freezer section, which was good as i had a couple of ice packs for our small travel cooler.

If we did stay in Zanesville again I would consider this place - I don't honestly think there is much better.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top (3rd) floor, as the walls are thin and you can hear the other rooms.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Hillsboro, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Wow there was some good and some bad things about this hotel. First off the staff was quite pleasant and brought us extra toilet paper. You could here the people above your room so get a top floor. Then the breakfast was good but the pool was just down right cold. Lastly our light in the bathroom made a lot of noise.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Paula C, Manager at Fairfield Inn Zanesville, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Thank you for your feedback, Sorry about the noisy light in the bathroom it had a ballast that needed repaired. The engineer read your feedback and checked on it that same day. The staff was so happy to hear your wonderful comments about how pleasant they were and asked that you visit again so that they have a chance to give you a problem free stay. When you are ready call and ask for me, I'll be glad to make that reservation for you. Yours in hospitality, Paula C., Asst. General Manager and the Zanesville Fairfield Team.
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Have stayed there twice in the last month. It's a Fairfield, so you know what you're getting, basic room and a decent breakfast. As a Marriott Gold Rewards member I always request an upgrade and they have demurred both times. Not a problem, I realize it's optional for them but the last time the hotel only seemed half full.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the front of the property. There are railroad tracks across the back and it c...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Paula C, Manager at Fairfield Inn Zanesville, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Thank you for your feedback about the hotel and staff, I am sorry that an upgraded room style was not available at the time of your request. We only have a few of that style in the building and there is a high demand for them. I would love to know when your next stay is so that I could book the reservation for you so that you get a opportunity to enjoy the larger room. Please call me when you are preparing for your next trip to Zanesville. We look forward to seeing you again. Yours in hospitality, Paula Cendrowski, Asst. General Manager.
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I stayed at the Fairfield Inn in Zanesville, OH for one night, as part of a block of rooms for the soccer team that I coach. Overall, the hotel was a quality Fairfield Inn. The hotel handled all of the reservations well and had all of the basic amenities needed. Breakfast was well stocked and the hotel was clean throughout. The lady that checked us all in was not very friendly, but the rest of the staff were. The AGM Paula was especially great to work with and I appreciated the follow up email she sent. As someone who used to work in the hotel industry, those extra things like that do make an impact.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Justin T
Justin, Thank you for the feedback, the entire team loved having all of you visit and hope that next time you are here for a tournament you will visit us again. Thanks for making the weekend a wonderful one. Go! Mad River Lady Mustangs!! Yours in Hospitality, Paula Cendrowski, Asst. General Manager