“Worst motel I've ever stayed in”
Review of Trade Winds Inn

Trade Winds Inn
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Clinton
“Worst motel I've ever stayed in”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We did a 3 week trip across the US and stayed at 15 hotels/motels in that time and this was by far the worst motel.
What made it worse was that we aimed for this hotel due to the fact that Elvis had stayed there in his early days and its obviously not changed since!
The motel says there is a pool and a spa but both were drained! The front door didn't look like it closed right, the decorating was from the 80s, the bathroom door didn't close at all, the ceiling above the shower looked like it was going to fall down and the shower head was about half a metre from the light switch that had no cover on it and you could see bare wires.
The next day we were itchy which could only be down to their being bedbugs and the room was just not clean. Rm 107 was an absolute [--]!

I spoke to the manager the next morning and was told this was due to crazy people staying there.....so the crazy people of Clinton like to take bathroom doors off and then screw them back on so that they don't close, they also like to steal the covers off of light switches. And of course they didn't notice this because they hadn't checked that room in a while! DO NOT STAY HERE, they charge you $50 for staying here too which is ridiculous, the manager did not even offer to come and see any of the complaints we had and was obviously eager to get back to his tv.
Again, DO NOT STAY HERE, its a shambles, the owner is lazy and doesn't care.

And finally......... DON'T STAY THERE, this person doesn't deserve to run a motel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank cwse07004

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Anthonystjoseph
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I stopped in this place because I couldn't find the EconoLodge and was really tired. The daughter was going to let me see a room ( I always check) and then the mom came from the back as they clearly live there and said, "NO" I couldn't see a room! I was in shock and said okay. I walked back in after leaving and asked if I did something to offend her and she said, "No". I went to the convenience store a block away and THEY said it was a horrible hotel with a horrible reputation. Clearly others who asked to see rooms must have said no thank you!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank Anthonystjoseph

Travellers are raving about these Clinton hotels

Wareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Having stayed here once before a few years ago when we had a super room with a Jacuzzi for a really good price, I was willing to give it a go again, despite the poor reviews, as its location opposite the Route 66 Museum and next to an Italian restaurant is very convenient.
Our 2-bedded room was in the single-storey section, which can be useful, as there's no chance of being kept awake by people in the room above. The décor was a bit "tired" looking, but there was enough space for our bags and the usual amenities which you'd expect in a moderately-priced motel. The beds were very comfortable and supportive, but one of the main lights didn't work. Also, when I asked at reception for a couple of hand towels (as there were only two bath towels in the room) the Indian lady seemed to misunderstand, as she just gave me two face cloths! We had a good night's sleep, but were disappointed to find that there was hardly anything left for breakfast by 8.30am - considering that it was supposed to be on offer until 9.30 am.
Although it appeared that the rear block of the property was being used for some social housing, this wasn't a problem, apart from the fact that there was an unnecessary amount of litter. If the owners could just address some of these basic problems and apply a little "TLC", I am sure that they would attract more travellers. The restaurant next door was a real bonus, with a good selection of meals, beers and wines.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank EveW702
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 January 2013

I have a soft spot for dive motels. The Route 66 mystique is defined in part by kitchsy little way stations that give bad taste a good name. The Route 66 Museum is literally across the street so you would expect that the Trade Winds would stand out as a shining example of the little motel that attracts weary travelers and makes them happy it did. Their business card boasts "Sleep Where Elvis Slept" and I've seen it advertised on their parking lot sign, though it was not up there when I passed through in December. I have to believe that Elvis's room was nothing like the one I was in or their motto would be "Sleep Where Elvis Left." I am grungier than the King was so I took up the challenge of staying the night.

Looking at other reviews for the Trade Winds, I feel bad about piling on but I give my one star rating with love. I really do have a weakness for dumpy motels. They're so much fun to talk about.

The front door to my room was nicely dented as one might expect. I figured it was done on departure as a review of someone's lodging experience. I requested a non-smoking room and I believe it technically was but the musty odor was so powerful that tobacco could have been drowned in it.

The interior highlights!
A piece of particle board was affixed to a gap above the door frame. The door frame had a security chain hanging from it but there was no track on the door to attach it to. So it was a decorative chain basically. The tangerine accent wall had multiple white scratches on it and a large hole stuffed with socks, apparently for insulation. I'm not sure if credit should go to motel management or to a previous lodger but someone was trying to be proactive. The still life artwork from the 1950s matched the bedspreads which also probably hail from the 50s. More holes and craters in the yellow wall facing the beds and violent gouge marks on the side of the dresser/TV stand. The carpet had never been vacuumed as far as I could tell and featured a large piece of electrical tape that covered a tear in the fabric I assume. Unless it was decorative -- hard to be sure. The walls in the bath and under sink area were dinged up, peeling, bubbled, scribbled over with pen marks, and had holes where bolts used to be before they were pulled out from their anchors. The complimentary Kleenex dispenser had also been yanked out of its wall slot. There was one hanger on the hanger bar. I guess the others became souvenirs. There was a fist-sized hole in the bathroom door and grimy bath tub with hair in it. The ceiling light fixtures in the bedroom and the bathroom were both uncovered, just exposed bulbs. I had concerns about sleeping in these beds but fatigue caught up with me and I bit the bullet. The sheets were probably a 50 thread count, smooth as fine sandpaper. The heat was quite good though and so was the wifi access. So hey, there's that. Make sure to ask about their great weekly rates!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
21 Thank bluesdog
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 31 August 2011

The hotel was horrible! Towels was dirty and I was wondering if they washed the bedclothes or just left them after the previous guest (guests?). The air conditioning was working so loudly that it was impossible to sleep and we had to switch it on and off a few times during the night. Don't stay there.

Room Tip: Run! Run away!