“"Luxuriate" in plastic flowers, 1960s wallpaper and no service” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Choctaw Casino Resort

Choctaw Casino Resort
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Durant
Dallas
“"Luxuriate" in plastic flowers, 1960s wallpaper and no service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

They're building a new tower when they should be renovating the existing one. My wife and I went for a date (away from the kids left with grandma) to hear Toad the Wet Sprocket and Counting Crows. With the concert over at 10:30, we went back to find a game to play. There were 400-500 "slot machines"; I put that in quotes because it's all electronica: no coins -- stick you dollar bills right into the machine and get a "print out" of any winnings. There's no "chance" involved. This is not a game. You're just watching a computer program run with predetermined moments to "award" you and take your money. There were (in the whole casino) about 5 actual card tables manned by humans, but they were packed and I didn't care to be surrounded by chain smokers. I used to smoke many years ago. I'm not a smoke hater. But this was a thickly smoky, nasty environment. So we went to the bar for a drink. There was no waitress. You had to go to the bar and fight the gambling floor waitresses who were served first by the one bartender. Unserved after 10 minutes, we left. Up to the room, we discovered it was difficult to sit comfortably in the bed. It was like sitting on an 8' x 4' piece of plywood. After 2 hours of bad TV and miserable, my wife was able to fall asleep by 1:45. I feel asleep around 4:30AM. Both of us woke up stiff with backaches. This "deluxe" room (including a plastic flower arrangement) I was assured was "one of our best". During the week it goes for $99. On non-concert weekends it goes for around $145. With our "concert discount" of 20% from ticketmaster it was $220 (concert weekend). The usual price, the front desk told me for a concert weekend was around $270. I wouldn't sleep in this room again if it were free (unless I could pay someone to change out the mattress or perhaps as a "camp out" experience with an air mattress?). Seriously, this was bad. I've had better sleeps at a Motel 6 on a deserted highway and other motels. It's a casino. They make a lot of money. Yet, there are plastic flower arrangements in the lobby and rooms, decades old wall paper, and a fountain that works only some of the time, and when it does only part of it works. I don't want to count all the bad details and am trying to find something nice to say. The cleaning ladies were very nice. The shampoo was of good quality. The toilet paper was the institutional kind that chafes and causes bleeding if you need to use it more than once. Ugh. Forget late checkouts on Sundays. Even though they're less than 25% occupied on Sunday night, "it's just easier if you leave". We were content to oblige.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms as the "mattress" is unsleepable. I suspect they got a deal somew...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
9 Thank FamilyMan1963

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

First time staying here and the last! Waited at 4:00 for a room for an hour, when checkin was at 3:00. Then when in the room, another guest accesses the room with a key from the front desk. Apparently the front desk gave them the room too an hour later. Managers did nothing at every turn, never so much as a sorry! Save yourself the trouble and $$$, stay elsewhere!!!

• Stayed August 2014
      Cleanliness
8 Thank Ryan K
Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Nice, safe place to stay. They offer a shuttle to the casino 24 hours a day and you just tell them you want the shuttle and they call and they come. They have 3 places to stay and we stayed in the one farthest from the casino. The casino was very big and lots of different machines. Nice breakfast in the morning too.

Broomfield, Colorado, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

The choctaw Lodge is a very nice place to stay, but it is not connected to the Casino. It is about a 1/4 mile walk to the casino. Having said that the people that work there are very friendly and will help any way they can. You also have access to the Oasis pool at the main tower and it is well worth the trip.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kathryn D, Manager at Choctaw Casino Resort, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Kim,
Thank you for recognizing our excellent team at the Choctaw Lodge. We greatly appreciate your kind words. There is a 24hr Shuttle service as well so no one has to walk in this Oklahoma heat. Have a great weekend and we look forward to your next stay.
Burkburnett, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Oh how I wish after reading all the reviews I had listened to the honesty of the negative ones. From the moment we arrived we were herded about like cattle in and out. I'm not sure what the valet attendants were therefore this past Saturday for the Boston concert as I opened my own car door, hauled in all my luggage while they stood around talking, I had to approach them about valet parking, then heard the one my keys were handed to exclaim I can't believe I'm getting ready to drive a Porshue and I then painstakingly listened to the gears he was missing as he drove off, then met the check in clerks who looked and acted like they'd rather b anywhere else who then rudely said I guess you want to go the pool now I'll have to make wrist bands, we were given no information on the hotel at all not even directed to the elevators, when we made the reservation months ago we had requested a high floor room w a view, we got 3 floor and a view of a roof as far as the eye could see which looked like baby solar panels right next to the construction area turns out those were multicolored neon lights that flashed n our room all night as we listened to trains going by, yes the minute we got to the room we went downstairs and asked for our reassured at the time of our reservation requests and was rudely told not possible and then yelled Next while we were still standing there. Went for a walk around the pool area, kids were literally standing n it like sardines, they didn't even have room to swim, all the hot tubs were completely filled w beyond drunk, slurred speech holding up glass beer bottles yelling bring me another drink, at 3:00 n the afternoon, no security on site anywhere, one adult then leaned over and threw up n the pool then went and got another drink and was served one. So the pool was out and I'm not sure why we were given a wrist band, there was no one there to check who was staying at the hotel and who wasn't. We never saw a waitress on the casino floor at any point nor security evidenced by people staggering, holding each other up, vomiting n the bathrooms. We literally stayed n our room until our dinner reservations at 5 at the 1832 restaurant that were made at the time of our hotel reservation only guess what the person that made our reservation never made them and they were completely booked. If there is any positive thing to b said it was the Host Brandon at this restaurant he booked us for 10:15 after the concert and apologized. Speaking of food looking at their web page and menus it reads well, appears to have numerous restaurants, reality is it is a baby mall food court, u know pick a choice and all eat n a common area just like the mall. At this point starving and went to their so called Starbucks to discover the only person that knows how to make any of the coffees is on break but I could have a cold drink w my wrap, seriously, 3 girls standing there at a Starbucks and no one can make coffee? I questioned $14 price for the simple wrap and was told take it or leave it, for a wrap? no drink? Concert Venue next, this is not a concert venue, or shouldn't b, think high school gym set up w folding chairs no elevation, so I could hear the band but when everyone stands no one can c anything, this concert venue is a joke, finally get back to the restaurant I say finally due to 5 busses running to bring us back but when people tried to board them they were sent away as they were "only using two tonight" then why were they there? Completely frustrated we met our waiter John, who did not rush us, let us relax finally, we tipped him 50 percent just because of his service, the food was not worthy of a tip, cold, cold, cold and this late at night had been n a warming tray beyond help, we took 2 bites of the m potato trio and left it, I'm glad that's all, we were within an hour throwing up all night, and despite not touching a slot machine, going n the pool, came home, went straight to the doctor for my first ever pink eye. I implore you not to stay here, this all happened at their new Tower self imposed 4 Diamond Resort, to the manager please don't add insult by asking me to contact u, we repeatedly asked for u while we were there and we were denied.

Sleep Quality
20 Thank MInman2014
Kathryn D, Guest Services Director at Choctaw Casino Resort, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Please contact me at james.dry@choctawcasinos.com. I know you requested that we not contact you but I would like to speak with you if possible. I look forward to your email.
James Dry
Guest Services Director
Madill, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

What a friendly place! Took 3 grandchildren, ages 5, 7, and 10 for two nights. From check-in to check-out all staff went out of their way to help us have fun! We rented the family cabana in the pool area and spent 11 hours in our swim suits. The various pools and games entertained us all day and into the night. The grandchildren said it was like being in Hawaii! We stayed in the Tower and the room was beautiful, clean, and very comfortable. This is a fun resort and very family friendly. We will definitely visit again.

Room Tip: The rooms on the east have less road noise.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Mar5177
Thank you very much! We greatly appreciate the opportunity to have you and your family as our guests. We look forward to your next stay. Hawaii, Shma-waii...Choctaw is where it's at!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed and played for three nights. The casino is beautiful! I won every night which is always a plus! There are a lot of slots I haven't seen at Winstar or Commanche Red River Casino. Oklahoma casinos are my favorite. There are about 7 restaurants as well. The waitstaff at on the casino floor are not very good but hopefully that will improve. We stayed in the grand tower. The rooms are really nice and comfortable. The staff is helpful and friendly. The pool is absolutely amazing!!! There are three different sections with waterfalls, swim up bars, tanning ledges with tanning ledge chairs, and food you purchase poolside. At night around the pool there are tiki tour he's and fire pits lit up and it is beautiful. There is no adult pool which is a little bit of a pain but it was still OK. Why people take their kids to a casino is beyond me. This is a great Resort Hotel! We will go back very very soon!

Room Tip: Over looking the pool is a great view!
2 Thank Julie W
Julie,
Thank you for taking the time to recognize our Choctaw team. I'm very pleased to hear that you had an amazing time with us. We look forward to your next stay and we hope to see you again soon.
Kat DeCaire
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durant
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Durant
BEST WESTERN Markita Inn
Hampton Inn and Suites - Durant
La Quinta Inn & Suites Durant
Best Express Inn & Suites
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Denison

Been to Choctaw Casino Resort? Share your experiences!