“Holding my money hostage!!!”
Review of Magnuson Hotel

Magnuson Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Durant
Dallas, Texas
“Holding my money hostage!!!”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

My mother and I had a girls night at the casino on November 29th. It was a busy weekend because of the Thanksgiving Holiday and the place was packed. We had managed to book a room at the Choctaw Lodge and were looking forward to staying there for the first time (we are already frequent guest of the Tower & Inn).

When we checked in, the front desk lady whose name I did not catch was very nice/friendly but distracted. I told her I had a free room coupon and she took it and checked us in. She asked for a debit or credit card for the $50.00 incidental fee that would be "authorized" on my card but would be returned to the card once we checked out. Since we have stayed at the tower many times before I knew the drill. I handed over my card and signed the paperwork.

When I checked my bank account on Monday morning, my account had $321.00 pending. I called my bank and they said it was being held for the Choctaw Lodge and they told me to call them to get the funds released. I called and spoke with a lady at the Choctaw Lodge who explained to me that my card and accidentally been authorized for the full cost of the room even though it should have been free. She explained that there was nothing she could do for me and that it would take up to one week for the money to be credited back to my account. She suggested that I call back the next day and speak to a Manager at the Tower.

So today I spent my lunch break on the phone with a desk clerk at the Tower. She also explained that the billing department told her there was nothing they could do to help get my money back to me sooner. I asked to speak to a Manager and was put on hold for 30 minutes. I eventually had to end the call to return to work. No one has called me back or resolved my issue.

I have bills scheduled to be paid as it is the first of the month and now I am in jeopardy of those checks being bounced because my money is being held by the Choctaw Lodge. I am very dissatisfied with the customer service I received and believe someone should have been able to help me.

This was a mistake made by the Choctaw Lodge and they should have made it right for me.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Lindsey V
Englishhogg, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear Guest, we are sorry this happened and I know that we have spoken and fixed this for you already but I wanted to say sorry in a public way. We should not have done this and it was an honest error. Thank you for telling us how we got this wrong and allowing us to fix this situation.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Denison, Texas
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Nice hotel. Chose the lodge over the Inn because it had a continental breakfast which the Inn did not. Breakfast offered included biscuits and sausage gravy, scrambled eggs, bacon, bagels, muffins (the chocolate chocolate chip one was excellent!), cereals, hot chocolate/cappuccino, coffee, juices and milk. They have 24 hr shuttle service to take to and from casino, but did not use it. Free WiFi works great. Thought the rooms were nice, comfortable beds. Would stay here again!

Room Tip: If train sounds bother you, let it be known that several pass by through the night.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Laura C
Englishhogg, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Thank you very much for your kind review, We are all very glad that you came and stayed with us at the Lodge. We hope to see you again very soon.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 19 October 2013

No complaints! Enjoyed our stay. Great breakfast, not just donuts and coffee. Always excellent with bacon, sausage gravy, eggs, and biscuits! :-) Nice staff! Clean rooms! Great value! Definitely want to come back and stay. Thank you!

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank D-Kellie-31
Englishhogg, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Thank you for your review, we are very glad that you had an excellent stay and that you liked the breakfast. We too are glad to see the winter come and that gives us an excuse to serve bacon and hot chocolate. We all look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Fort Smith, Arkansas
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I stay here for business and it is exactly what I need it to be. It's affordable, the staff is very friendly and helpful, and it.s very clean and safe. The beds are comfortable. They offer a complimentary breakfast spread in the morning. I mean, there is a lovely hotel 100 yards away if you are looking for that experience but if you just need somewhere more affordable and simple for the night this is the place for you. The casino is next door and has a lot of restaurant options to choose from. Other than that, most of the businesses in Durant are further away.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank jeeyol
Thank you for your review, we work hard to make the Lodge a good place to stay and we are glad that you had a good stay. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Dallas
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We stayed at the Choctaw Inn last week - what a disappointment. I ran into the manager in the hall when walking the dogs outside, who asked I be sure to write a review of the hotel and let everyone know they accepted pets. As promised I am doing so because it was a nice option for a trip to have them so close to the casino and not have to board them; but beyond that we have nothing good to say about our stay.

We booked a suite at the Inn for two nights the room was small and the bed was only a FULL SIZE for a suite! Upon entering the room it smelled like a sewer issue but not in the bathroom area the entire room smelled bad. We got settled and went to the Casino and came back a few hours later to call it a night. The bed was so small. My husband is 6'4" and I barely had any room for myself. I rolled over at one point and knocked the phone off the hook on the nightstand next to my head. We didn't sleep well at all.

The next morning we thought the smell was gone when went to eat, only to come back to realize it was there, we had just gotten used to it. So we decided to check out and not stay the second night because of the small bed, the smell and the fact that the room would be $80.00 more then we just paid for the first night and we were no where near happy with. It ruined our Anniversary Trip. But the fun didn't stop there.....

About 2 1/2 hours after checking out I realized we left three shirts hanging at the hotel. I called the front desk at the Inn and asked someone to help us and they transferred us to lost and found (in the main tower) who said it was "too early" to help us we needed to call back in 2 hours when lost and found items were brought over. But if found they were located we could pick them up in the main tower...... I said I am not driving all the way back there and start back out towards home again; I asked if they couldn't be shipped and me charged for the services if I gave them a credit card. He then told me I would have to send a prepaid box to him to ship my items back and once items were there he would give me the address and further details.

I immediately hung up and called back to the Inn's front desk to ask if they could just ask the housekeeper, or one of them in the lobby, to go down the hall 5 doors to our room and get the articles before someone else checked in. I was told they could not, and I would have to call lost and found as instructed. I asked for the number to lost and found, as I was not given it before he hung up, I was told I would have to call the front desk at the Inn back and then be transferred to them. I could not have a direct number. I did as instructed, actually waited 4 hours, and they said not items had been turned in for our room.

The gentleman at lost and found said he would call over to the Inn and see and see if they finished cleaning rooms and for me to call him back in 5 minutes. I did so as he requeted, only to be told he was now gone for the day and got a whole new person to deal with. I explained the story and he put me on hold and said that he called over to the Inn and that the housekeeper and the supervisor both looked in the room and nothing was found and now someone had checked into the room. I was not happy as I explained that is why I was adamant earlier in the day they checked before someone checked into the room.

In a rage of madness of all that had gone wrong I called the room directly and talked to the gentlemen in the room and he was kind enough to look and said that there we no articles hanging; which means someone has our clothes.

It was only three shirts and it was our fault we left them in the first place; but it is all a sign of the poor quality and customer service there is at the Inn.

We will not return to the Inn, but it is truly a place fit for the dogs!

Room Tip: Suites are small, rooms smelled, don't leave anything behind.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Amy S
Englishhogg, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
I am sorry we did not meet your expectations, we try hard to give every guest a good stay and it looks like we did not succeed with you, sorry.
Texas, United States
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Cheap room ($72), newly renovated, former Microtel. Rooms are REALLY small and I wouldn't want to stay here with kids, but they are nicely appointed for an individual or couple. Hotel was clean, staff was friendly. Earned 4 stars and docks one for a major "no weapons" policy posted on every door. CCL holders be prepared to leave your protection in the car or book somewhere else. I wouldn't book here again solely based on that policy.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Cory S
Englishhogg, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Thank you for your review, I know that some guests dislike the CCL policy of the Choctaw Nation, I am sorry this would stop you coming back to stay with us.
Trinity, Texas
Reviewed 20 September 2013

My wife and I have stayed at the Choctaw Lodge several times and have always had an enjoyable stay. The rooms are as good as any resort for half the price. The beds and pillows are very comfortable. This time we stayed 3 nights and got the third night free which included a great hot breakfast every morning. The Oasis Pool is like a beautiful Tropical Oasis with a winding river and several hot tubs above, complete with waterfalls and spiral slide. The staff at the lodge was very friendly and helpful. We were especially impressed with Merna. She seemed to always be there to help us with a smile. If you stay at the Lodge be sure and ask for Merna, she will brighten your day. We travel a long way to go to the Choctaw Casino because they have the slots we like to play . The staff at the Casino and Lodge are very courteous and friendly.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 717Joe
Englishhogg, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Thank you for your review, Merna is new to our team and has made a great impression on us and it looks like you too. We love her as all she wants to do is keep the Lodge clean and ensure each and every guest has a great stay. Thank you and we look forward to seeing you soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durant
Best Western Markita Inn
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Durant
Best Express Inn & Suites
Hampton Inn and Suites - Durant
La Quinta Inn & Suites Durant
Quality Inn & Suites Durant

Been to Magnuson Hotel? Share your experiences!