“Not sure how to describe... but I'll try”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #16 of 17 Hotels in Elk City
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Our experience was decent, but it's clear this was once a much better hotel/motel than it is now. Our rooms were fine, beds were clean and comfortable, and we didn't have noise problems. The interior rooms face a very large enclosed courtyard with a small pool (not open when we stayed), suggesting it might have once been one of Holiday Inn's "Holidomes" that I remember from way back. The downside is that the place has a run down look and feel too it, not awful but clearly past it's prime. The primary demographic seems to be oil workers and "roughnecks" who need a short-term place to stay for a few days while near a jobsite, much more so that road travelers or families.

The "free breakfast" was in the form of coupons at the on-site restaurant. A basic diner if there ever was one, but the food wasn't bad, the service was friendly, and the hand-painted wall mural of John Wayne (as Rooster Cogburn) was kitsch at its finest. I wouldn't recommend it for families or if you are fussy, but it's not that bad.

A comment about the local insect life. As we walked in to the back entrance, we saw a number of fairly large beetle-like bugs in the parking lot and sidewalk. I will say clearly that we never saw any in the motel or in the room. This appears to be an indigenous inevitability as we saw similar bugs around a local gas station and restaurant.

Room Tip: Get a room with the entrance from the interior courtyard
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 26 March 2012

I didn't feel safe here and the noise above on the second floor kept me awake. My son and I stayed one night on our road trip to GA. My son left his watch behind in the room after we checked out and called after we had left and asked if the hotel could send his watch to him. The hotel said we would have to fax them a shipping label. So, I attempted to fax it to them and the fax line had problems. I had asked if I could email it instead and was told we have no email address. Then, the other person said I have an email address! Great, so after emailing the label I waited checking the status of the tracking number online with no result. I finally contacted them and the response was, "you have to request a pickup." No common sense. He could have handed the package to the U.S. Postal person. No request for pickup was necessary. No courtesy or offer to just do the right thing. I'm sorry we stayed there to say the least.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Anne751
Reviewed 16 November 2011

Stopped here on a cross-country trip from LA to Boston basically being forced to stop here from exhaustion. That day, we left a snow storm in New Mexico and Amarillo had a ridiculous dust storm, so we tried to put as much distance between us and those Western storms. I wanted to see the Washita National Battlefield.

Basically, driving East on the I-40, we had tried to find a hotel from just before the OK-TX border to there and found everything booked for “workers”. Actually we found an old/ run-down Days Inn charging $69 a night, which would have been $35 had it been in Needles, CA. (Personally, I can’t quite understand why every place along this stretch, Amarillo to Oklahoma City, is so overpriced and make the recommendation for anyone to avoid it.)

I think we paid $64 a night and let’s say the room was not worth it, but from the reviews of other places in Elk City, probably the best we were going to find at under $100. The bed’s were large and comfortable, the sheets were clean and this was the first place from LA that had a high definition TV. But that’s it. The TV itself didn’t have all that many channels, nor was there a channel guide to suggest what the channels were or where they were located. The toilet flush was broken and we arrived to find a plastic bag was rigged to help flush the toilet. The night stand drawer was broken and overall the room looked a bit rundown. The safety latch on our door was broken and the door itself was a bit tough to wedge close and lock.

The hotel get’s something in terms of character and I will remember this hotel for as long as I live. First, it’s primarily a truck stop and workers motel and so the many of the people who were staying here were of a more blue collar background. As my dad and I were bringing our stuff in, there was a random woman knocking on a door and she seemed unsure of what room she was looking for (as if someone else had sent here there). I thought, could this be a prostitute and my dad later made a mention of this girl referring to her as a call girl. I’m not saying she was, she could have been stopping by to preach the bible, but she was a bit out of place. There’s a truck stop Choke n’Puke (that’s what they called it on Smokey and the Bandit) and it was exactly that, and breakfast at this place is included.

We returned from dinner (if someone could tell me where you eat in Elk City other than at Denny’s) and there was loud country music coming from the first floor. Now the woman at the counter, didn’t tell us that there was either a bar or dance club, but I’m presuming there is. With a couple of earplugs, I drowned the noise out rather easily… but still it would have been nice had someone warned us – or had invited us.

Even if you don’t stay here, if you’re in the area, or driving by, it’s worth the visit. Right off the I-40, exit 41. It’s the first covered motel I’ve been to. Yes, you walk through the front doors and you’re in an enclosed motel. There are no elevators and, relative to the other hotels we stayed at, it’s a bit of a walk and a climb from where the cars are to our 2nd floor room. There’s a pool that seems to have been empty for years . And while there are signs to not smoke, there was a definite smell of old cigarette smoke hanging over this common area.

We checked out and the check out girl, didn’t ask how were the rooms (the only place in eight nights that happened) and so I draw the conclusion they know the rooms are rundown. it was a comfortable bed for the night and I definitely felt safe but the staff doesn’t go out of there way to make you feel invited.

Basically, I give this place this provisional recommendation, that is, if you need to sleep the night in Elk City or any place within 100 miles, and you want to spend under $100, this is the place for you.

Otherwise, I don’t recommend this place whatsoever. There are a far more affordable hotels/motels in OKC or Amarillo, and for the character, there are a lot better Route 66 kitschy motels, like the Big Texas Ranch Motel.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Teddy K
Reviewed 14 October 2011

The reviews on this place must have come from the owners or friends, as it not #2 it the area.
The ceiling was falling down over the bed looked like from water damage. Front door didn’t have a deadbolt on it. The bathroom door had no lock. The paint job was terrible. The floor was like in a fun house as it tipped and leaned in every direction.
After the look of the room we didn’t even eat their free breakfast.
Stay anywhere else but here.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Ken L
Reviewed 15 July 2011

I do not understand how this place got the rating of the #1 motel in Elk City. There is no way it can compare to the Clarion, Comfort Inn or Hampton Inn, The room was clean, mini fridge, microwave, high speed internet. Not fancy. Not by a long shot. The exterior is a mess. They are working on it but still have a long way to go. Front desk help were not professional at all but they were nice, not rude. The indoor pool looked clean but the area around it was messy. Make sure they do not put you in a room close to the club. My husband stayed here several years ago with his work and the place has greatly improved since then. Only way I would stay here again is if the nicer places were full has they were tonight.

Room Tip: Do not let them put you in a room at the back near the club.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank nanamol
Reviewed 21 June 2011

Huge rooms, it was clean, flat screen tv. It is a big place and a bit empty in some parts, but the room was great. They even include breakfast. Great find. Trucker stop.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 April 2011

The discount hotel coupon book clued us in to this find. At this point, I’m not sure what to think about Oklahoma hotels. The Ambassador wasn’t scary like the Sallisaw Motel 6 was, just a little quirky – or more like whacky.

The Ambassador was a huge rectangular building, almost like a warehouse. There were two levels of rooms on the outside wall and the inside wall. The inside rooms opened up into a roofed courtyard – of sorts – filled with live plants which climbed up to the vaulted ceiling. There were patio chairs and tables on one side, an indoor pool towards the back end, and on the right side, where there should have been patio furniture – there were two piles of used mattresses, stacked about 6 feet high. The ice and other vending machines were located in this courtyard on the backside of the office.

The room was fine: no bed bugs, clean, with fast internet, mini-fridge and the works. It even came with two free, hot sit-down breakfasts in the restaurant next to the check-in desk. There were good breakfasts, too!

I wouldn't let the strangeness stop me from staying at the Ambassador again. It was a good stay.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business