“Front Desk Clerk”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #16 of 17 Hotels in Elk City
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Wanted to write a review to all of our viewers out there to let them know we have gone under construction and New Management! And give our deepest apologies to any past experiences that was unpleasant for any of the guest. We have gone above and beyond to make our hotel more accommodating to our guest. So if you are traveling through Elk City Oklahoma, stop by and stay with us! Thank you everyone who had a great stay with us in the past and hope you all come back soon! Have a blessed and safe travel!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank RachelPenny31

Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

I can not express how blessed I was to have met all the wonderful staff at this hotel as well as the staff at the conjoined cafe. Everyone was very helpful and caring when I ended up stranded there with literally no money at all, no vehicle, and I didnt know a single person in the entire town...or state for that matter. My fiance (now ex-fiance) and I were traveling across country. We were about 1000 miles away from our hometown and had not been getting along real great. Well I would have never in my life imagined that he could be as heartless as he was that day when we stopped in Elk City and he abandoned me like a stray dog. I had no way to get anywhere, no money for food, no where to stay, and no body I could call for help. I was screwed!!! Well then I met the god sent angels at this hotel and restaurant. The lady who managed the restraunt gave me a job washing dishes right then that day and paid me daily so that I could have money to live. The management at the hotel put me in a room for about half of what the room usually rented for and also gave me a part time housekeeping job. I stayed/worked there for about 2 months until I had the means to be able to get back to my home state. Everyone was so nice and helpful. They went above and beyond for me and I thank God for them and what they all did for me!!! The rooms were very nice and clean by the way. New pillow top mattresses, flat screen tv, in room coffee pot, mini fridge, and microwave. Awesome all the way around!!!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank marymarycontray
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Stayed here for two days, clean and big rooms. Like the new beds, they were clean and comfortable. The service offered was great. Great buy for the price paid. I haven't used the restaurant so not sure about it's quality.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Checked in, first room had no towels and lights didn't work, second room toilet was broke. Awful, nasty, dirty, should be shut down. Sleep in your vehicle before you go to this dump! Received a refund because we wouldn't go into a third room and then they messed up our credit card charges so now we have to go thru a dispute through our bank.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Diane M
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Our experience was decent, but it's clear this was once a much better hotel/motel than it is now. Our rooms were fine, beds were clean and comfortable, and we didn't have noise problems. The interior rooms face a very large enclosed courtyard with a small pool (not open when we stayed), suggesting it might have once been one of Holiday Inn's "Holidomes" that I remember from way back. The downside is that the place has a run down look and feel too it, not awful but clearly past it's prime. The primary demographic seems to be oil workers and "roughnecks" who need a short-term place to stay for a few days while near a jobsite, much more so that road travelers or families.

The "free breakfast" was in the form of coupons at the on-site restaurant. A basic diner if there ever was one, but the food wasn't bad, the service was friendly, and the hand-painted wall mural of John Wayne (as Rooster Cogburn) was kitsch at its finest. I wouldn't recommend it for families or if you are fussy, but it's not that bad.

A comment about the local insect life. As we walked in to the back entrance, we saw a number of fairly large beetle-like bugs in the parking lot and sidewalk. I will say clearly that we never saw any in the motel or in the room. This appears to be an indigenous inevitability as we saw similar bugs around a local gas station and restaurant.

Room Tip: Get a room with the entrance from the interior courtyard
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I didn't feel safe here and the noise above on the second floor kept me awake. My son and I stayed one night on our road trip to GA. My son left his watch behind in the room after we checked out and called after we had left and asked if the hotel could send his watch to him. The hotel said we would have to fax them a shipping label. So, I attempted to fax it to them and the fax line had problems. I had asked if I could email it instead and was told we have no email address. Then, the other person said I have an email address! Great, so after emailing the label I waited checking the status of the tracking number online with no result. I finally contacted them and the response was, "you have to request a pickup." No common sense. He could have handed the package to the U.S. Postal person. No request for pickup was necessary. No courtesy or offer to just do the right thing. I'm sorry we stayed there to say the least.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Anne751
Reviewed 16 November 2011

Stopped here on a cross-country trip from LA to Boston basically being forced to stop here from exhaustion. That day, we left a snow storm in New Mexico and Amarillo had a ridiculous dust storm, so we tried to put as much distance between us and those Western storms. I wanted to see the Washita National Battlefield.

Basically, driving East on the I-40, we had tried to find a hotel from just before the OK-TX border to there and found everything booked for “workers”. Actually we found an old/ run-down Days Inn charging $69 a night, which would have been $35 had it been in Needles, CA. (Personally, I can’t quite understand why every place along this stretch, Amarillo to Oklahoma City, is so overpriced and make the recommendation for anyone to avoid it.)

I think we paid $64 a night and let’s say the room was not worth it, but from the reviews of other places in Elk City, probably the best we were going to find at under $100. The bed’s were large and comfortable, the sheets were clean and this was the first place from LA that had a high definition TV. But that’s it. The TV itself didn’t have all that many channels, nor was there a channel guide to suggest what the channels were or where they were located. The toilet flush was broken and we arrived to find a plastic bag was rigged to help flush the toilet. The night stand drawer was broken and overall the room looked a bit rundown. The safety latch on our door was broken and the door itself was a bit tough to wedge close and lock.

The hotel get’s something in terms of character and I will remember this hotel for as long as I live. First, it’s primarily a truck stop and workers motel and so the many of the people who were staying here were of a more blue collar background. As my dad and I were bringing our stuff in, there was a random woman knocking on a door and she seemed unsure of what room she was looking for (as if someone else had sent here there). I thought, could this be a prostitute and my dad later made a mention of this girl referring to her as a call girl. I’m not saying she was, she could have been stopping by to preach the bible, but she was a bit out of place. There’s a truck stop Choke n’Puke (that’s what they called it on Smokey and the Bandit) and it was exactly that, and breakfast at this place is included.

We returned from dinner (if someone could tell me where you eat in Elk City other than at Denny’s) and there was loud country music coming from the first floor. Now the woman at the counter, didn’t tell us that there was either a bar or dance club, but I’m presuming there is. With a couple of earplugs, I drowned the noise out rather easily… but still it would have been nice had someone warned us – or had invited us.

Even if you don’t stay here, if you’re in the area, or driving by, it’s worth the visit. Right off the I-40, exit 41. It’s the first covered motel I’ve been to. Yes, you walk through the front doors and you’re in an enclosed motel. There are no elevators and, relative to the other hotels we stayed at, it’s a bit of a walk and a climb from where the cars are to our 2nd floor room. There’s a pool that seems to have been empty for years . And while there are signs to not smoke, there was a definite smell of old cigarette smoke hanging over this common area.

We checked out and the check out girl, didn’t ask how were the rooms (the only place in eight nights that happened) and so I draw the conclusion they know the rooms are rundown. it was a comfortable bed for the night and I definitely felt safe but the staff doesn’t go out of there way to make you feel invited.

Basically, I give this place this provisional recommendation, that is, if you need to sleep the night in Elk City or any place within 100 miles, and you want to spend under $100, this is the place for you.

Otherwise, I don’t recommend this place whatsoever. There are a far more affordable hotels/motels in OKC or Amarillo, and for the character, there are a lot better Route 66 kitschy motels, like the Big Texas Ranch Motel.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends