“Great Hole in the Wall”
Review of Home Cooking Cafe

Home Cooking Cafe
Ranked #15 of 48 Restaurants in Elk City
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Don't judge this place by its looks--the food is perfect diner food. We had breakfast here going in one direction and lunch in the other.
The Polish sausage and eggs was great. As was the Denver omelet. The biscuits with them were perfect though the gravy was average. Service was good though the staff seems to be running hard.
Though untraditional we both enjpyrd our turkey clubs. The fries with mine were hand cut.
If you're hungry between Amarillo and OK City this is the best place to stop. Just don't trust Google maps--its behind the Motel 6.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Food was good. Service was terrible. Waitress tossed the menus on our table & said be back in a minute. When she returned to take our order, she was in a great big hurry & it felt we were in the way. When she brought our meal, she had given us Ranch Beans for our vegetable. Neither of us can eat beans, but she never returned to our table to refill our water or ask us how the food was. Would have been a lot better experience if we had been given any service.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

We've eaten at this place 2 or 3 times as we travel across I-40, since we discovered it a few years ago -- really good food, friendly, fast-moving waitresses. Lots of local customers, including truckers, ranchers. Now they've adorned one wall with a really good mural of John Wayne . . . . perfect for the place and the area. Don't pass up this chance.

And by the way -- there's no longer a Motel 6 there anymore . . . . now it's something called the Ambassador Motel, but I'm not sure the motel's in operation.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

This homely little restaurant adjoins the motel 6. It is also very close (within 1 block) to Sleep Inn and La Quinta hotels. My husband and I went every morning for about 2 weeks. The patrons included hotel guests, truck drivers and local regulars. Every morning the same 2 elderly gentlemen sat at the same table drinking their morning coffee. It has that "home town" feel to it.

Parking is convenient. The floor of the restaurant is scuffed (pretty badly in some spots) and some of the chair coverings were cracked/ripped from wear. Other than that the place was clean and tables were stocked. One TV was always on and that usually had on the morning news or CMT.

Nonetheless, I definitely recommend this place to eat. The same two waitresses worked every morning. Both friendly, casual, and prompt; they seemed like well seasoned waitresses.

The food was good. The breakfast menu was simple and had all of the staples. Every morning I ordered bacon, eggs and toast. Sometimes hash browns were on the plate too, but the price was the same. My husband tried the bacon, sausage, polish sausage, and pork chops. The bacon and polish sausage were good. The sausage patties were dry. The pork chops were very good too and at first we thought there was a mistake when they were delivered because there were 3 of them on the plate (plus 2 eggs, toast, and hash browns). The servings were generous; indeed 3 pork chops came with that meal. We did not pay over $8.00 for any meal and most were less expensive than that. On average our tab with tip included was $15.00. We did not order any drinks.

The only (minor) complaint I have is that my eggs were a little runny for my taste. That being said, after 2 weeks of dining there every morning, I did not once ask for them to be cooked longer. I saw on a sign that they serve breakfast all day. I believe they close at 9pm. They do have other menu items aside from breakfast. To my knowledge here were no children's menus or crayons with a paper place mat to color on. I never saw a child there though. Food was delivered so quickly I don't think there would even be enough time to color anyway.

Prices are very reasonable. Overall a pleasant dinning experience and I recommend eating here. We have been stay in hotels in Elk City for a few months now and I wish we would have stumbled across Home Cooking Cafe sooner than we did. It is by far better than hotel or fast food breakfasts.

2  Thank Asdoek