“Bed Bugs: Need I say more?”

Comfort Inn & Suites
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Elk City
Reviewed 5 March 2013

My family was moving across country from California to Tennessee. We stayed in this hotel because we like the Choice Hotels, and it was the less expensive hotel in the town of Elk City. We stayed on February 5th in room 310, which is a HUGE suite with two queen beds and a king bed. We got in around 8 pm. My wife noticed a bug on the king bed, but thought nothing of it and killed it. We also noticed a large one on the wall and I killed it. (1/2" long). We'd never seen bedbugs before, and thought this one looked like a small roach. Around 10 pm, after our infant daughter had been sleeping for an hour in the bed, my wife checked once more and we found more bugs. I took a live bug on the pillow to the front desk along with the larger one I'd killed earlier. The gal at the desk identified it as a bed bug. She gave us plastic bags to put any clothes in and moved us to a similar room in 410. It was after midnight by the time we got our children back to sleep and thus we got a late start the next day on our trip.
I approached the same girl at the front desk to ask about discount/comping the room since $123 should come bug free. She said she couldn't do anything, but would talk to the manager and call me back that day. This was a month ago! I have called the hotel 6 different times, sent multiple e-mails, and even called corporate. The Choice Hotel Network said that they would have to call me within 72 hours, yet I've heard nothing.

In addition to the poor customer service and health-code issue, the breakfast was meager and the room was outdated somewhat, especially the bathroom, where the grout was chipped and dirty. While I am loyal to the Choice Network of Hotels, I will not stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank 1967Yankeesfan
There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn & Suites

Reviewed 22 January 2013

The room was pretty clean except the bathroom. The grouting on the floor was missing in places an(room 202) and had paper stuck in the cracks. Expensive granite in the bathroom ruined by someone trying to chalk it with a very unskilled hand. The breakfast was well maintained by the lady there and she was very pleasant. Desk was polite and on the ball. A little pricey but better than many.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2012

Was looking for a reasonable place to stay the night before Thanksgiving that would accept a small dog. This was advertised for $94/night (with AARP card).
Room was decent, but not exactly a SUITE as expected--a king bed, half wall with a big Window cutout in it between the king bed and the pull out sofa sleeper. No linens were provided with the sleeper although they knew we were bringing two children with us who would be sleeping there. Had to go to the desk about 11 p.m. and ask for linens which had to be collected from another room. The desk clerk was really nice through all this, but it was very inconvenient to have to go down to ask and wait for something that should have already been in there.

There was a smashed cricket and crumbs just at the edge of the air conditioning unit in plain sight, so it was obvious that if the room was vacuumed, it was done haphazzardly. Breakfast was very "iffy"--a few "discs" of eggs, cold cereal, waffle makers, stale donuts, cold biscuits and really runny gravy. Again, a very nice lady was taking care of the breakfast room, but the breakfast was one of the poorest we've had at this price hotel.

Grade--C--comfortable king bed, poor breakfast quality, and not really clean.Was charged $15 per night for a small dog. Probably will stay across the street at the Clarion next time.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank CAReed55
Reviewed 18 November 2012

This is the most important review I've made and maybe it will save a life. I stayed on November 16, 2012 and if they fix this safety issue I will ask TripAdvisor to remove this post because otherwise this is an excellent motel with an excellent staff and great rooms.

Let me explain: I was on the north end of the second floor when I decided to walk down the north stairway which is also the emergency escape route. When you get to the bottom of the stairs you can either exit thru the door in front of you which takes you to the first floor or you exit the building with the door to your right. And here lies the problem!!! You exit to an outside fenced pool area. WHERE DO I BEGIN WITH THE SAFETY ISSUES???
1. THE POOL WAS EMPTY AND UNCOVERED!!! THE GATE WAS UNLOCKED!!! A disoriented person or a child COULD fall into that empty pool. Wow, that's an injury or death.
2. In Florida an outside pool has to be fenced and locked. But the problem is that this is the emergency exit, YOU CAN'T ESCAPE A BURNING BUILDING only to be locked into a small fenced area.
3. If the pool had been full you would still have the same safety issues except now you have the additional problem of neighborhood kids that might sneek in if the gate is unlocked.

I can only guess that this pool was an afterthought and not the original design at this motel. I can't imagine a building inspector approving this.

When I mentioned this to the staff he did put a nut and bolt in the lock mechanism to prevent outside entry into the pool area but it did nothing for entry from inside the motel.

I probably wouldn't have gotten so riled up about this if the pool had been covered but that opened up all these other scenarios. At the very least, this is a future accidental drowning waiting to happen. All motel pools should be accessed only by motel key and should never be part of a fire escape route.

I don't go to this area very often so I hope TripAdvisor or other guests follow up on this.

Room Tip: Normally I would rate this motel very high in all categories but I won't rate it with the safety...
Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Eugene D
Reviewed 12 November 2012

We thought that this motel was overpriced but decided to stay here as there was an outdoor pool. The room was a good size but a bit outdated. They provided a nice breakfast with a good selection of items.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Don't stay here. I arrived at this hotel, which is the most expensive hotel in the area, but since I had a lot of work to do and it was a Comfort Inn, I supposed it would be worth it to have a clean room. Well, I wasted more than an hour because of the room they assigned to me. There was a horrible smell in it. They knew it because they had placed a machine in it to suck out (or really just to redistribute) the smell. Since I had asked beforehand for a room where no pets had been, due to my allergies, I was surprised that they put me in this room. Well, after an hour of trying to do my reports, I could not stand the smell any longer so I called and asked to be switched to another room. I had to wait another 30 minutes while they called housekeeping to see why I might need to change rooms. Housekeeping told them there had been burned popcorn in the room and they were trying to get it out with the machine. Well, it did not smell like burned popcorn to me, but rather old vomit. Anyway, rather than changing my room immediately, they made me wait to confirm that I knew what I was talking about. They finally let me move - which meant I had to go down and get another cart to change to the room on a different floor where they assigned me to. No one offered to help. All of this put me 2-3 hours behind on my work, and then the internet kept crashing all night, when I was trying to meet my deadlines to get my reports in. I will never stay here again. It seemed that everyone was just concerned with catering to the oilfield workers' needs. I paid for my room just like their company pays for theirs, and should have been shown the same consideration.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 August 2012

I have stayed in the comfort inn and suites a couple times. The first time was just because they happened to have a room available. I always get the double queen room with the sofa bed, there's six of us. Anyways my room was very nice, they always have nice soaps and shampoos, my kids like the little shampoos! Oh and the pillows and beds are so soft! They also offer free breakfast till 930 which has several choices... The guy that was making waffles and helping you get what you wanted was very friendly. It was a great stay.

• Stayed: August 2012