“Not the best stay”

Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Elk City
Tucson
“Not the best stay”
Reviewed 9 September 2013

This hotel is in need of remodeling. The rooms have a heavy smoke smell. The furniture shows its wear. The beds are ok but the carpet needs to be replaced. The staff was wonderful. The first room smelled of smoke badly that when I asked to be moved they could not have been more accommodating.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank arizonatraveler02

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Lovely hotel, for once the description and photos were accurate. The room was well appointed, the pool was big and clean. The breakfast was generous and varied and was included in the room rate. Overall this property was great value for money

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Before I jump into the reasons why staying here received a poor review from me, I'd like to say that the gentleman at the breakfast bar was very pleasant and went out of his way for the hotel's guests. It really was a pleasure to be greeted by him in the mornings. I enthusiastically give props to him. The continental breakfast was good too - had a better selection than most, if not all, of this degree of hotels I've stayed at. My daughter was thrilled she could make chocolate waffles with chocolate syrup, strawberries, and whipped cream. She liked the cheese cubes too. All of the food looked safe to eat.

With this hotel chain I have seen everything from no pet deposit required to $50 pet deposit. This particular hotel wanted a deposit and non-refundable $15 per day for pets. My husband made arrangements for our cat to stay without deposit/fees with the agreement that we pay any incidental damages. She is spayed, declawed, current on vaccinations, and has a collar clearly labeled with contact info. We have stayed in various hotels daily for the last 2 months and have not had a single problem or complaint with her. So, that was cool of them to waive the fee, as we were scheduled to stay several weeks. BUT THEN...when we checked out (prematurely due to bugs bites) I signed a receipt that was presented to me for room and sales tax charges only. When we left I requested a walk through of the room so we weren't charged for bogus damages. I had the front desk clerk and a house keeper sign a statement saying that everything was in the same condition as our check in. 2 days after we checked out, the hotel, on an independent invoice, charged my husband's employer's charge card $120 for pet fees. Upon booking, the hotel was explicitly told by said employer they did not have permission to charge anything except room and tax to the corporate charge card. But, without mention of it to anyone, 2 days later the unauthorized charges appeared. After being called on it, 5 days later the front desk clerk refunded the $120. The general manager didn't have the back bone to come out from the back room to address the renegation personally.

The work out room was better than most. 6 pieces of equipment and free weights. The pool looked clean.

Our room looked like a standard hotel room. Decent decor. No noticeable damages. The layout of the furniture was a bit awkward. A chair was angled in such a way that it jutted out into the entrance way by about a foot. One wall was angled without discernible purpose.

As far as the front desk and housekeeping, generally speaking, they were polite and courteous enough. Our first room had two queen beds even though we asked for a king bed with a sofa sleeper. They couldn't accommodate, but that happens. We were told that as soon as the room we wanted opened up the next day we could move in to it. When I went to the front desk at 3:00pm the next day to see what the delay was, the gal said that our room had been given to someone else. I was told there was no vacancy because someone reserved a block of rooms just before I came down to inquire. She apologized and admitted she had forgotten to hold the right room for us. My husband had asked for the new room as soon as we arrived the day before. The woman at the desk promised us the proper room and even wrote a note to the other front desk employees to hold that room for us. He checked again at the desk the next morning to confirm the request. He dealt with the same woman each time.
When I was at the desk she and another clerk fumbled around, looked befuddled, and stalled about how they were going to address the issue. I got the impression that they were just hoping and waiting for me to throw my hands up and just accept the mistake. We eventually got the handicapped king bed room.That's fine. Problem resolved.

One housekeeper in particular was helpful and polite. Unfortunately I did not catch her name. I had the "do not disturb" hanger on my door one day. Even though she had passed our room already, she caught me in the hallway and asked if I needed any linens and if everything was acceptable. Props to her for good costumer service. As far as a couple of other housekeepers go though, I did not appreciate that when they cleaned the rooms they had kids/teeny-boppers in tow. I noticed that the older children were helping with housekeeping chores - knocking on doors and cleaning rooms. A couple of days the kids and house keepers were playing annoyingly loud music. On the last occasion I asked them to turn it down and they did. There was no incident after that.

On our last full day there, when housekeeping came, I asked for them to return after a few minutes as I was still in my bathrobe, just out of the shower. Instead, a few minutes later, the front desk called to inform me it was hotel policy that housekeeping come into our room because they hadn't been in for four days (at my request). I don't think my request for a few more minutes to get presentable warranted a phone call. Not a big deal. Just a minor annoyance to add to the rest of them.

Other disapprovals that prompted a poor review:
-Bed bugs!! The first morning of our stay I woke up with what looked like multiple bug bites on both my arms. After a few nights my husband started seeing (and itching) bites too. Our daughter slept on the sofa and thankfully came out unscathed. I suspect that the bites were from bed bugs, but I CANNOT confirm that. Either way, we both were bitten several times while staying at the hotel. After a week I counted a dozen bites on myself. They itched and bled for several days. This occurred in both rooms we stayed in.
-Toe nail clippings on the floor bedside.
-At 2:30 in the morning our neighbor's television could be clearly heard through the wall.
-3 out of 3 beds I slept in during the stay were less than comfortable. On the first night I went from the queen bed to sleeping on the chair.
-An ironing board and iron were provided, but there was not an accessible outlet to plug in to while the sofa sleeper was pulled out.
-As mentioned in other reviews, the bathroom had poor lighting.
-Although there is an area designated for smokers, the staff smoked a few feet from the hotel entrance twice that I noticed.
-Our A/C unit could not keep up with the heat.
- Wifi was slow and hit or miss at times.
- Used Q-Tip in nightstand drawer.
- there is an awkward ramp at the front entrance that makes it difficult to push the dolly in and out of the hotel.

The bathroom in our first room was ridiculously small. The shower was behind the door. In order to close the door to get to the shower one would have to sit on the toilet or squeeze in along side of it and up against the counter so there would be enough clearance to close the door. I'm not exaggerating. Also in the bathroom there was a piece of metal stuck in the wall outlet.

One day the fire alarm went off. The housekeeper, who was vacuuming outside of my door, seemed to be oblivious to it. I tapped her on the shoulder and pointed out the flashing lights and screeching alarm. She turned off her vacuum and said it was probably just a drill, but didn't know for sure. My daughter and I hustled down the stairs and outside to err on the side of caution. When I noticed a few people in the lobby we went back in and the manager said that a fan had set the alarm off. The alarm going off was accidental, but the staff showed exactly zero sense of urgency. By the way, why would there be a handicap accessible room on the 2nd floor when evacuation procedures require the stairs be used in case of an emergency?

When I brought my laundry down to wash, I was irritated that to wash just over a half a load of clothes it cost $2.75. That was not including the dryer cost. I put my laundry and coins in and the washer started without letting me select cold water wash. The door was locked. I went to the front desk to see if someone could turn the washer off so that I could restart my clothes with the proper water temperature. The woman at the desk went to the laundry room, stood in front of the washer, stared at it, and then said there was nothing she could do. When I just stood there and stared at it, it didn't do anything for me either. I told her that I thought $2.75 was a rip off for that quality of machine. She went back to the front desk, completely useless.
I went to my room to fetch a plastic storage bin to put my wet clothing in so that I could bring it to the laundromat instead. Upon returning to the laundry room with my storage bin a few minutes later, I unplugged the machine so that I might get my clothes out before they soaked too long in the hot water. I went to the front desk and asked for the maintenance guy because I assumed that when I opened the washer door water would be everywhere (it was a side loading machine). What I presumed to be the head house keeper came storming out from the back room with an unacceptable attitude and without stopping she stomped past me and brashly said she had to get the manager. I apparently was an inconvenience to her.
At any rate, she and the manager went in to the laundry room. I don't think she realized that I was standing behind her because she grumbled and expressed dissent to the manager about me under her breath. I'm sure as far as she was concerned, I, not the washing machine, was the problem. The manager explained that the cost of the machine was out of his hands. That's understandable and so be it. He pulled open the washer door and to my surprise water didn't come gushing out.
Both left and I felt like they thought my concern was petty and that I was an idiot or something for thinking water would be all over the floor. I began taking my clothes out and indeed the clothing at the bottom was sitting in a few inches of water. I spent a couple minutes wringing that water out of my clothes in to the drain of the nearby ice machine. The water that spilled on to the floor during transfer to the ice machine was still on the floor hours later.
Tip: the laundromat in town, which I subsequently used, cost $2.50 to wash 2 loads and $1.00 to dry 2 loads. Do yourself a favor. After checkout I spent about $20 at the laundromat washing all of our clothes in hot water to avoid spreading bugs. So much for cold water wash.

We checked out more than a week early and went to a different hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Elk City hotels

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I rarely stay at Comfort Inn, but booked here because it was close to the office I was working out of and several colleagues booked here. My eyes have been opened to just how good Comfort Inn can be. The facilities are gorgeous, with all modern decor, bright clean rooms, an outdoor pool/lounge area. The rooms were large, with plenty of space even in the king room with a seating area. The bathroom was very spacious and very attractive, with glass-enclosed shower. To top it off, the service was very friendly and efficient. Great place!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Jack H
Amesbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed 20 June 2013

On our trip to Arizona, we had gotten to the end of a very long day of driving and desperately needed a place to sleep. We happened upon the Comfort Inn in Elk City. It was a huge mistake to stay. It reeked of oil smell and was NOT cheap. As it turned out, oil riggers stay there during the week and the oil company agrees to pay a certain price to house them. Joe Tourist pays oil company rates as well. DRIVE ON! Will not stay again! On the positive, the receptionist was apologetic, but could do nothing.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
New York
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Elk City rolls up the carpets by 8pm every night. There is no restaurant on the property--if you are looking for a meal any time after 8pm, good luck, and may I recommend the vending machines? The hotel was very clean and the rooms are nice and large. They offer "free wireless" but it is just a couple of wireless accounts that are accessible to everyone, first-come, first served. It was hard to get online and then stay online.

Room Tip: This is a pet-friendly hotel. If you can't handle the sound of a dog bark every now and then, m...