“Route 66 style on the outside, less than retro on the inside”
Review of Flamingo Inn

Flamingo Inn
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Elk City
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I was excited to stay at The Flamingo Motel on our Route 66 journey. I was a little disappointed by the lack of retro touches on the inside. I wanted a nod to the 66 glory days. Once I got over the disappointment, the motel was fine. The manager was quite friendly and we chatted up the neighbors. There were a number of gentlemen working on the pipelines staying there, but it was surprisingly quiet despite being full. .

It was clean. The bed was quite comfortable. Flat screen TV's as others mentioned.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 May 2013

Had a great visit here. The rooms have been renovated with brand new baths and large flat screen tvs. I would give it a five except being an older hotel the walls are thin and electrical is scant. The office staff was friendly and location is perfect. It was a special part of our Route 66 tour.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 May 2013 via mobile

...way more character than that. I love the the pink and black tile. Very clean. Didn't have any odor of stale smoke or mildew (sometimes all too present in "local" establishments). Close to restaurants, gas, and the Interstate. Wi-fi works (amazing for ANY hotel, chain or local)!
All in all a GREAT value for the money and a little different from the common fair.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 3 April 2013

This property had mixed reviews, but seemed a good value, so we took a chance. Elk City is a pretty small place, and we were tired, so there it was. It advertises low price rooms, ours, a king, was $70.00 with tax. The property is undergoing renovation, and our room was next to the last rooms being worked on. It gave me some pause when we had to walk around contstruction materials to get in our room, but the guys looked like they were picking up for the day. We unpacked and settled in for the night. About 8:50 p.m. I jumped out out of bed to the shriek of a power saw right outside the door. I opened the door and here was a worker cutting plywood right outside the door! When he finally heard me, he stopped, and there was no more noise for the night. All that said, the room was great. A large comfortable king bed, granite bath counter, two lounge chairs, frig, microwave, beautiful flat screen tv. This is an older place on Route 66 that is in the process of being upgraded. Our room was done, and a good value. The other issue is communication. They don't take online reservations, and phone is problematic, as the owner's English is spotty. I wasn't sure I had a reservation, but when I arrived, he greated me with a smile. He provided some coffee when I asked, and was very pleasant. So I say thumbs up, providing the construction is not ongoing when you check in.

Room Tip: Try and make sure the room has been upgraded, and that the construction work won't be going on w...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank peterthegreatmlkj
Reviewed 12 February 2013

I stayed in this motel for a week on a trip advisor review. The motel has a classic Route 66 style but has been remodeled. There is big flat screen tv's in every room, new micro fridges and furniture, and new beds. During my stay my room was very clean apon arrival and due to the snow the entrance of the room was getting dirty every time I entered the room and they cleaned that every day. The bathrooms are still that old 50's style pink and black tile and old bath tub and toilets but the owners told me and the gentleman that was checking in while I was there that the bathrooms were getting remodeled in March. There is internet and it works well for the most part but every once and a while it would lag and take a while to upload my work files but it always worked.

The rates that are on trip advisor are incorrect their rates run $60.00 after taxes for booking just one night or $55.00 a night for booking more than one night. The owners are foreigners and speak broken english but enough to get your room setup or if you have issues they can help with it. The owners live in the back of the office so they are always available.

In closing, this is definately the best motel/hotel in the area for the price. I will definately be staying here any time I have work in the area again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 December 2012

I called to make a reservation, and had to try several times because no one answered the phone. When I got someone, they barely understood me. When I checked in, it was the same. We were traveling with our three young children, ages 1, 4 & 5. Once the lady at the front desk finally understood me, all she said was to make sure the kids did not trash the room. Then told me two additional times to be careful and not let the kids hurt the room. She was simply insulting. Then, I was charged $75 for the room, when everything in read said $50. Was this a penalty fee for the kids? The room itself was ok, the bathroom was small, and my shoulder hit the wall! I am not sure what the remodel included, several electrical outlets did not work, the mini frig and microwave were plugged into a power strip that did not work, and was plugged into the wall using a converter from three prong to two prong. Cracks in the ceiling, and just generally unimpressive.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Kim W
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Took the advice of other tripadvisors and was so incredibly pleased. The owners live onsite and are very proud of this hotel. They actually held our room when we were three hours late.(dont count on this of course) The rooms are perfect if you want to stay somewhere on route 66 this is your plalce. Love the owners loved the room.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business