“Our favorite place on the Illinois River! Great trout fishing in Oklahoma, family friendly and always enjoyable!!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gore
Marval Family Camping Resort
Midwest City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

This is our favorite place to stay at Lake Tenkiller or the Illinois River! The cabins are great and the kids and us love it! We got a cabin a little walk from the river, I am talking 2 min.! We took our dog and she loved it too. The cabins are clean and have stoves, refrigerators etc. I like the fact that you have to take your own linen. You can rent some as well. They have a very nice store and check in area. They keep the park very clean and they have quiet hours that most everyone respects. You can rent a golf cart or walk everywhere. This weekend we chose to walk and the kids rode their bikes. Fishing is great. The river was up the entire time but there are still many areas to fish. In the summer they stock the river with trout so I can't wait to go back!!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank boyzonlymom2

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Norman, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2013

We really enjoyed our stay here. Beautiful, very well kept grounds and clean restrooms. Lots to do for the whole family. We stayed in our pop up camper and the site was very user freindly. Can't wait to go again!

Room Tip: We stayed in our camper, so I don't know about the rooms.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank ThomasClan93
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2012

I will start by saying I stayed here 3 weekends in a row for business and plan to go back in the off season with friends for some R&R. Where to start....it's Gore, Oklahoma and I have stayed in MANY places in the area and wish I had found Marval years ago. I had one of their simple cabins and they gave me the same cabin every weekend I was there.

The cabin was very nice. Way better than similar KOA cabins I have stayed in several different states. Their wifi is more reliable than KOA but there were still issues and I was unable to log in several days. Bathrooms and showers were just a quick walk from the cabin. Always clean and safe. Well kept up. I will say they need to leave a few showers open as they clean others. I couldn't take showers twice because they were all being cleaned (in various stages) at the same time.

The place was packed each and every time I was there and it's right on the Illinois River. The dumpster facilities are well away from the main cabins and rv's so NO wildlife problems. People are nice, quiet, friendly. I will be back for sure when I have time to spend some time on the Illinois.

Great place to stay. Well worth the money. Ok, they don't sell beer on site and I had to drive to town.... oh well.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank marlawscc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

If you’re like me you’ve looked all over the internet and not found many pictures of the Marval Family Camping Resort outside of a mud pit, some tie dye shirts, and people who’ve caught huge fish on their river. So I went into this trip with a lot of questions and hoping against all hope that the resort was as good as its reviews. It was.

My wife and I gave the resort every chance to fail. First we went on, arguably, the worst weekend of the year: Memorial Day Weekend. Second, we went without kids but camped directly across from the playground. Third we forgot several items and had to purchase them at the store onsite. And the list goes on and on. In every case (but one) the resort met or exceeded our expectations.

Let’s start with the resort itself: Very clean and very friendly. You won’t find litter at Marval. You also won’t find a dirty restroom or shower. In fact, the restroom and shower facilities were shockingly clean. As clean as my bathroom at home. ON MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND! As for friendliness the staff rivaled any resort staff that I’ve ever experienced.

Another notable fact was the family atmosphere. In fact, it was so family oriented that there was a noticeable difference between the level of alcohol being consumed at Marval and what seemed like the entirety of Lake Tenkiller. Not that alcohol is prohibited (we brought some ourselves) but with so many people bringing their kids, we simply didn’t encounter any problems associated with alcohol. Again, this was MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND!

From the pool, to the arts and crafts building, to the evening drive in theatre, to the trout stream that runs through the camp, there’s plenty to do without ever leaving the campground itself. We made several attempts to go offsite and enjoy the lake only to find that the atmosphere everywhere else was noticeably more crowded and rowdy. Each time we came back to Marval and chose to partake in the activities on site (with me choosing to fish on site all but a few hours of our weekend).

Another thing that really stood out for us was the lack of an overcrowded feeling. Again, this was Memorial Day weekend and the campgrounds were completely booked up. Yet we didn’t feel crowded. I don’t know if it’s the layout or what but at no point did we feel like we were at a campground that was running at capacity.

My one complaint about the entire trip/resort was the very spotty wifi reception on site. My own 3g connection was pretty weak (being several miles from I-40) yet it was better than the onsite wifi reception. I assumed that it was due to the number of guests on site, but my wife and I stayed an extra day and the reception never got any better. This absolutely would not keep me from coming back, but an upgrade sure would be great.

Finally there’s the camp store which is fully stocked and DOES NOT mark their items up like a typical camp store. In fact, we paid $10 for some sun screen in Oklahoma City just before we left for our trip. Upon realizing that we’d left the sunscreen at home, we entered the camp store with fear and trepidation, certain that we’d be paying considerably more for sunscreen onsite. You’ll imagine our surprise when we were asked to pay exactly $10 for the same sunscreen on site. The only thing that was noticeably marked up was the ice which was approximately twice the price.

All in all I cannot say enough about the Marval Family Camping Resort. A friend threw a few snide remarks our way about camping on a family resort. One look at our bathrooms and she shut up real quick! One look at hers and I quickly got in my car and returned to Marval!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank Timothy M
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

Came here for a weekend and had so much fun that we decided to host our family reunion here. Kids will have a blast. They always have stuff to do and this normally over protective parent felt completely safe with letting the kids run around. Fishing, mini golf, pool. We stayed in a cabin. The cabin was nice...the bed was too hard for my liking. I still recommend this to everyone.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Urmama777
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

Miniature Gold, Tie-Dyeing T-Shirts, Horse Shoes, The River, clean cabins, and quiet camp grounds, priced very well, I recommend this camp ground to everyone.

Josh Barnett

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank JoshOKC
Collinsville, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2011

We had been planning this stay for quite some time and were not disappointed. This park is truly a family oriented destination. It is very well maintained and monitored. It sits on the bank of the Illinois River which is a cold, clear stream suitable for several types of fishing as well as numerous other water sports (floating, swimming, canoeing, kayaking, etc.). Trout are stocked frequently and caught in a range of sizes. Our son caught his largest rainbow ever just a mile upriver from the park. The park has numerous cabin rentals and plenty of RV spaces. We walked, rode bicycles, swam (pool and river), fished, took part in the crafts sessions and other scheduled activities for both adults and children. We just had a terrific time and we have already made reservations for this fall. The staff was GREAT!!! This is also a truly pet friendly park.

Room Tip: Reserve early........
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank cvillekats3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gore
Suite 16 Motel
Suite 16 Motel
#1 of 1 in Gore
Sallisaw Inn
Sallisaw Inn
#6 of 6 in Sallisaw
Fin and Feather Resort

Been to Marval Family Camping Resort? Share your experiences!