“What a wonderful hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Guthrie-North Edmond
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Guthrie
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We stayed here on a trip from New Mexico to Kansas and choose this hotel because it allowed pets. The rooms were very clean and quiet, and the staff was friendly and helpful. We stayed here when it was incredibly cold (in the single digits), and the rooms were warm. The breakfast (including the cinnamon rolls) was very good. There are restaurants across the street, but we stopped at a Valero station about 3-5 miles away (on Highway 33) that had a diner. Had not planned to eat there, but the brisket smelled too good to pass up. It was some of the best I've ever had, and I am picky about barbecue. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor. If you have a pet, this is a good idea.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Barbara B
HIEGuthrie, Front Desk at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Guthrie-North Edmond, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2014

Thank you for choosing the Guthrie Holiday Inn Express & Suites as your home way from home. We look forward to having you again in the future.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Not wanting to drive any further, we decided to stop in Guthrie. We were surprised to find a Holiday Inn Express and pleased that rooms were available. The young man who checked us in was quite nice and friendly. Our room was ok - it was clean but it was dark, even with all the lights on. We did have a good night's sleep and an ok breakfast, with the Breakfast Nazi standing guard over everyone. When we departed, we were greeted very nicely by several staff members and wished well on our continued travels. I give the staff (except for the Breakfast Nazi) a big A and the room a solid B+.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Booked more than 30 days in advance, also hosting a conference and paying for meeting rooms. Called by hotel night prior with c/o "overbooking" unable to provide rooms as booked, so "dropping price". A "visiting manager" stepped in and assisted with our rooms being switched with another unhappy patron who did not have the room they wanted either. First look was awful once up close, red clay all over parking lot, in halls and elevators and stayed that way despite complaints all weekend. Room was only 1/2 serviced(one bed made) table moved and not moved back and NOT replenished until we inquired, then toiletries coffee and cups were dropped off without any cleaning done, including left dirty linens on the floor under sink.
Price was not lower, but higher on check out (claimed it was due to occupancy changing), despite prior reservations changed by hotel, not me.
Breakfast and staff in kitchen were helpful and meeting rooms perfect. Would like to go back for another meeting in future, but not unless staffing issues and reservations change :)
Although website said hot spa available, no rooms with tub were available and hot tub in pool area was tiled over (old signs remained). Pool room was trashed with dirty towels and puddles of water at late 0900 am opening without new towels available.

Room Tip: Friends came day of and got a better price and room on meeting floor...so why bother? Wing it here i...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Miniwife
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Guthrie-North Edmond, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2013

Dear Miniwife,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. Please accept our sincere apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to pamper you and provide you with exceptional service.

Karen G.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

there is not much at this exit so I didn't expect much from the hotel, much to my surprise the hotel was clean and well maintained however the parking lot was a bit of a challenge to navigate, the night clerk was friendly and helpful with information about the local eateries, the room was large and spacious, the king size bed was comfortable and the selection of pillows allowed me to chose the right one for me. even on the fourth floor the water pressure in the shower was excellent, the room was quiet which was good for sleep. Morning brought the usual Holiday Inn breakfast items but it was good to get a cup of coffee that had a good flavor after all the colored hot water I found while driving. if I am in the area again and in need of rest I will stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 September 2013

My experience at this hotel was limited to interaction with probably the worst customer service staff in the hotel industry. I called during the week before my reservation was to begin and verified my room type and that my reservation was good to go- getting nothing but the all clear. Towards the end of my four hour drive to the area for the Gentlemen of the Road tour I was called by Denise, a staffer at the hotel. She informed me she "didn't know how I made the reservation but there was no room for me". She was intent upon arguing how I was able to make the reservation when the hotel was full for "6 months". I said that I was not sure but was aware of the IHG policy that when a hotel is overbooked the Holiday Inn responsible must provide a room for the customer- and pay for the room. She blatantly refused and said they would be doing no such thing. This left me and a friend in a town for a concert with no room to stay in, no assistance, and not even an "I'm sorry". I asked Denise to verify with IHG and she said she would call me back.
I never heard back from her so called IHG directly to ask what my options were. The lady that I spoke with at IHG once again verified the policy of overbooking and said that the hotel would need to reimburse me for one night's stay since they had no room for me. She called the hotel to speak with them and was also not able to reach anyone, so instead she booked me a room at the nearest HI 12 or so miles away (not ideal but not many choices remained on the day of a concert in which 35k people are coming into a town of 10k!). My only option was to pay full price (over $200) and wait for the Guthrie HI to reimburse me.
When I arrived in Guthrie I stopped by the hotel to see if I could speak with a manager on duty. I was "greeted" by an unpleasant Denise after the gentleman at the front desk told me they "had to send away at least 8 other people" the night before who were also overbooked. She told me she would contact her manager, Melanie, on the phone - in the back office. She returned and told me in no way did they have to pay for me to get another hotel room, as they had not done that for anyone else either. She was rude and offered absolutely no assistance in this matter.
After I left I called IHG back and told them that the hotel was refusing to pay for my new room reservation and they put in a request for the hotel to respond (as well as sent them a copy of the policy and procedures manual from IHG) and said that the hotel had 48 hours. Though it was a pain to drive the additional miles when we thought we would be right down the road from the concert, I was happy with the help I received from IHG's customer service department.
Two days later I had still not heard anything and called IHG to check in and see if they had gotten a response either. While on hold they transferred me to the hotel and put me in touch with Melanie directly. Immediately she launched into the same tirade about how the hotel had been sold out for 6 months and that I came in too early and that maybe if I had waited I could have had a room (this, after being called and told I didn't have a room and simply arriving to speak further with the Manager). However, my psychic abilities must have failed me that day because I had no way of knowing that could have "possibly" been an option! She told me there was no way they would pay for the room, that they could have just sent me elsewhere like they did with everyone else (whom they did not pay for either, though she did inform me they cited the same IHG policy I reference here).
Luckily, IHG followed through with their policy and I received a check for the amount paid yesterday. I hope anyone else who had this same issue contacts IHG with a complaint as well. With this type of customer service, I wonder how they can possibly remain an IHG property- after all, they clearly aren't complaint with their own policies!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank coastalsummit
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Guthrie-North Edmond, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Dear coastalsummit,

Thank you for your business and review.

Though it was a relief to hear that you already received the refund, I am disappointed to read the troubles you had with our staff. I sincerely apologize for the lapse in service and poor customer care you have encountered. We deeply regret that these aspects have negatively affected your overall experience.

Your feedback is indeed of utmost importance to us and rest assured that actions will be taken to ensure our guests continue to enjoy superlative levels of service, comfort & security that they expect when staying at our hotel. Your feedback is not only essential but is also a helpful tool to measure the level of service we extend to our guests and at the same time provides us with an opportunity to improve our standards. Once again, thank you for your comments.

Dhan M

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Not the sound, but what I found in my room today, 4 of them in my room when I woke up this morning. Seems like the area is plagued by crickets and grasshoppers right now.
Pretty disappointed in the hotel "gym". The bike and elliptical machine are not hooked up to a power source so they do not function properly. The universal machine uses a screwdriver to hold the weight plates in place.
As far as rooms go, they seem a little tired, but they are clean.
Breakfast is the typical Express breakfast.
Staff is very friendly and all seem to enjoy working here, so that helps offset some of the negatives.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank sirsmokeyjoe
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Guthrie-North Edmond, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2013

Dear sirsmokeyjoe,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay with us. Our staff always goes out of their way to be helpful and attentive to the guests and we are glad that you enjoyed their hospitality. It was unfortunate to see your stay was not as comfortable as it could have been due to the room condition and the gym. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you again in the future.

Karen C

Reviewed 9 August 2013

The price was good, and we reserved a two room suite for three adults. The day before our arrival we got a phone call from the hotel asking us if we were sure we really wanted that room. I thought it was a bit strange, as I had made the reservation, had already paid for the room, and hadn't inquired about making changes.

We were there for five nights. After the second night, housekeeping didn't give us clean towels, and had left coffee cups behind. And they didn't refresh the in room coffee service. The coup de grace was the penultimate night when they did no housekeeping in our room, beyond picking up the wet towels from the prior days swim. They never came to clean the room.

Breakfast was mediocre, but the coffee wasn't bad. One of our rooms smelled like smoke, despite being a nonsmoking room because it was right over the front entrance where many guests went to smoke, and the AC just sucked it up and spewed it into the room.

It wasn't a total disaster. The room itself was not luxurious but very nice and spacious. The beds were very comfortable. It was certainly conveniently located. The pool was nice as well, although it really does miss the hot tub. However, I won't be staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Carol F
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Guthrie-North Edmond, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Dear Carol F,

Thank you for posting a review of our property. We were sorry to learn that you were disappointed with your stay as we always strive to provide a unique experience to all our guests. We apologize for any inconvenience caused by housekeeping and food selections that was served. Rest assured that your comments have been documented and will certainly be looked into. Nevertheless, we sincerely hope that you will afford us another opportunity to showcase our usual levels of service. Once again, thank you for your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Zelyn N
IHGCare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Guthrie
La Quinta Inn & Suites Guthrie
Hampton Inn & Suites Guthrie
Americas Best Value Inn - Guthrie
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#5 of 7 in Guthrie
Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Edmond
La Quinta Inn & Suites Edmond

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Guthrie-North Edmond? Share your experiences!