“Not anymore”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hobart
Deer Ridge Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Hobart B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 December 2010

My husband and I have stayed at Deer Ridge at least five times. Once a year or more for the past four years or so. While in the beginning, this was one of the most wonderful places to stay, each year it gets a little bit different. The owner had begun about two years ago to multitask the B&B. While still a B&B, she was operating a steak house on the weekends. This eliminated one room downstairs, which was the first room we ever stayed in. Also, the kitchen which had once provided a home like atmosphere to make coffee in the morning, had begun to feel like being in a restaurant kitchen. No worries though, still immaculate rooms and cozy atmosphere upstairs. The B&B offers high speed Internet with one machine and wifi for laptops. Three years in a row, however, we were unable to use either for the lack of any kind of virus protection. The first time I realized this, I couldn't even get to the Internet at all, and since then, before I hook into the wifi, I check to see if the virus protection has been updated, and it has not. Still ok though because rooms are wonderfully spacious and supremely comfortable. I don't like sleeping away from home, I never sleep well, but at Deer Ridge, I was always guaranteed to sleep great.
We went this year, my husband and sister and brother-in-law, and the minute we walked in, it was clear that things were not alright. I smelled what I thought was gas in the entire downstairs area. The Hitchin Post room, which is the only remaining room downstairs, is situated near a small 3/4 bathroom and a larger full bathroom. I turned the heat down some, hoping to eliminate the gas smell. My husband said it smelled like a grease trap. Although I don't believe there is one. So we decided to wait and see what the smell was before we scared the owners with a possibly expensive gas leak. We spent all of our day the first day at my mother's. At night, we slept with the window open, although it was below freezing outside and the heat off because of the smell. We woke up freezing but the smell was mostly gone. So we determined that it was not a gas leak. We again spent most of the day at my mother's. When we returned the second night, we were actually thinking of staying another day until we got through the door. The smell was sweet and pungent, like sewer. We did call the owner who said that it sometimes does smell like sewer and that it is the city main. It did not smell like sewer outside or inside any other establishment in town, and we are talking about a town with a population of about 4500 people. It was horrible the second night; it was far too cold to sleep again with the window open. We woke up, my husband and I with the smell of sewer in our mouths and both of us got ready in a hurry because we felt as though we were going to be ill. Check out is noon, so we just got what we needed, planned on getting some fresh air and coming back for our things. It was Christmas Day. At 11 am, the owner called at my mother's to say that she had new guests arriving in an hour and we needed to come and get our things right now. Needless to say, we went and got our things, and we will not ever again be taking the chance with Deer Ridge.
By the way, she has opened a new B&B three blocks from the original, and it has been open and had guests. When we called about the smell, she didn't offer any reduction in the fee or any alternative space at the other location. In fact, she told us that she didn't have rooms available at the other location. However, we did not ever see any lights on at night at the other location, nor were there any cars parked at the other location. All in all, it was grossly unpleasant, and I would rather sleep in a cramped camper trailer next year.
A note for would be travellers to Hobart: there are at least two other B&B's in Hobart. There is one at the old Gish funeral home and one about a block away. Both are very nice, and a little more "urban". Anywhere that doesn't have a sewer smell or an owner who isn't really trying to do anything about the sewer smell is preferable to us. And it's a shame. It feels like breaking up with someone.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sharla F
Reviewed 16 April 2010

If you're looking for a place to stay in Hobart, Deer Ridge is the best bar none! My husband and I live in Oklahoma City. My sister, her husband and their daughter live in Lawton. We visit Hobart often to see family (my mother and aunt live there).

My mother, realizing her home was too small for all of us to stay, set us up with rooms at Deer Ridge. I was reluctant at first because I've never been fond of the whole bed and breakfast thing. My husband and I stayed in the "Hitchin' Post" room and my sister and her husband stayed in the "Round-up" room.

Although during holidays, full breakfast is not provided, you do have access to many continental breakfast choices, as well as snacks, soda, orange juice and milk.

The rooms were immaculate, the home was quiet (even at maximum guest capacity), and the location is perfect.

I will definitely stay there again and again!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank lthornton79

Been to Deer Ridge Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!