“Oklahoma treasure”

Wichita Mountains National Wildlife Refuge
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Indiahoma
More attraction details
Owner description: A federally managed praire covering more than 59,000 acres.
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Driving to the top of Mt Scott is not as exhilarating as Pikes Peak, but it is a true treasure. Wonderful view of SW Oklahoma ... and if they are firing, you can watch artillery maneuvers from Ft Sill. A trip to Meers should not be missed for a Burger and awesome peach or cherry cobbler. I was raised in Lawton and have been there many, many time. There are many trails, sights and lakes to enjoy and always something new to explore. The hike to 40 foot hole from Sunset campgrounds is a great hike...but not for small kids or the elderly. And don't forget the undiscovered gold stash somewhere out there!!

2  Thank Nick P
There are newer reviews for Wichita Mountains National Wildlife Refuge

Reviewed 25 November 2013

It was Sunday before noon when I left Oklahoma City to go to Wichita Mountains, I turned on the GPS and drive... first thing I did while driving within the Refuge was going to Mount Scott, an amazing view with a lake in the proximity ... after seeing the bison's ... I saw a few, I did not have the fortune to see herds, as in the videos of others who have visited the place, which I did not believe see was prairie dogs and had enough in a place known as the Turkey Creek, on the road. I saw some elk but they were too far away to take their picture with my lens. Also would recommend visiting the town of Medicine Park very picturesque, I park to eat at a restaurant called The Old Plantation. The lake Lost in sunset had a amazing view. Finally I return to Dallas in a long drive.

2  Thank CharlieGza
Reviewed 13 November 2013

My friend and I headed up here to go climb/boulder, hike and camp from Dallas, TX in November. We were amazed at how pretty the area is. It's hard to get over the fact that this place is only three hours from Dallas. It's amazing!

The quality of the rock is fantastic. Loads and loads of places to boulder. We went up to the Charron's Garden summit area to boulder ... and there was stuff all over the place. The climbs ranged from super-easy to pretty darn hard. Plenty of good highballs out there, if thats your thing.

The semi-developed campsites are great. We picked one tucked in the woods and only saw one person the entire time we were there. There is running water and toilet facilities are dotted throughout the area.

Loads and loads of wildlife out there. Bison, elk, deer etc.

Amazing place to visit. I cannot give this place a high enough rating. Probably one of the coolest places I've been East of The Rockies.

1  Thank hannmen
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I have made several trips to the refuge. There are lots of wildlife and trails. On my recent trip i saw : elk, deer, turkey, coyote, prairie dogs, buffalo, long horns along with many different birds. We went to the top of Mt Scott where you can see for ever. Do yourself a favor and explore this place.

2  Thank Scott D
Reviewed 10 November 2013

A wonderful place for a drive, hike, picnic or camping. Wildlife spot tongs. Holy city of the Wichita. Wonderful visitors center. Just a short drive out of Lawton, Oklahoma.