“Lake, room and restaurant issues.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Quartz Mountain Resort Arts & Conference Center

Quartz Mountain Resort Arts & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lone Wolf
Midland, Texas
“Lake, room and restaurant issues.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013

Some good, some bad.. Started with a cold evening when we arrived and got a room with a broken heater. Had to change rooms. Next day the room beside us also had a heater out and the noise from the removal and replacemwnt went on from 4-7pm. It was quite a racket. Rooms have no minifridge or microwave and are all 50-100yds from the parking area so carrying a cooler is a chore. Stayed Friday/Saturday nights. Saturday one of the ice machines died and it was difficult to find ice. Sunday morning at check out the computers died and it took 15 minutes to check out. There is a wonderful library you can wander through but you can't look at any of books (locked behind glass). They should simply close and lock the library door, it was just a tease. I doubt our experience is the norm but it sure put me off of ever going back.

The rooms are also showing their age. Popcorn ceilings, thread bare rugs, toilet didn't flush right and the shower head was much more like a garden hose than shower. I'm 6' tall and the shower heads are about 5' from the floor (I just don't get that).

The lake itself is dying up. The water is now 1/4 a mile from the lodge and must be down 50ft or so. The drought has also caused a massive fish kill at the lake and it will be years before it recovers if it ever does. I feel sorry for the birds that come next year looking for fish to eat. I doubt there will be any left as there were literally tons of dead fish littering the shore.

Restaurant is a review of it's own.

The good of it.. Shower stayed hot and the rooms were really clean and neat. The cleaning lady was very helpful at getting me an extra pack of decafe coffee. The hiking trails around the lodge are scenic and there is something for almost everyone except the most hard core of hikers.

Room Tip: Odd number rooms face the main lodge building, even numbers face what's left of the lake. Be sur...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Arlon M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Rendon, Tx
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013

This resort is in a fantastic location...the Quartz Mountains...flora and fauna are truly wonderful. Great hiking and bike paths. The lake is very low, so you need a boat to fish. The restaurant at the resort, Sundance Cafe, is very good. The prices are fair and the portions are generous. The room is ok..not particularly posh, but the bed was comfortable. They have excellent weekend getaway rates, so checkout the specials, especially if you just want to kick-back over a two days.
Grounds were well maintained...recommend this place if you like to get out and explore. The golf course is in good shape and a nice challenge.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view room.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Fred W
St. Louis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2013

I am currently on a project in Altus, OK., and staying in a small motel there etc. Quartz mountain has been a life safer. I head up there every Saturday and Sunday. Somedays I spend a few hours at the resort/conference center just relaxing in the library. They have a nice little art gallery that is great to view. I have a favorite painting there!. Also on most visits there is a piano in the hall of the center that gives me the chance to bang out a few ballads!
My favorite is the bouldering on the granite mountains. You can make a little trek over to Baldy
mountain for some strenuous climbing. I climb about three quarters of the way up. On nice days there are more serious climbers trying to reach the summit with ropes etc. Then when I want to do some serious bouldering I have another spot at Quartz that provides a great workout
hiking up the mountain. Here you can summit without using ropes etc. I have found a few nice spots to just sit down, doff the shoes, socks and shirt and get soaked in by the sun and the blissful quiet. I also have enjoyed a few hikes on the shore of the lake. They even have a sand beach there. Seems because of the drought the lake is much lower then it has been in the past. They have a performing arts center on the grounds. Have not been able to get inside, but this would be a great place for a concert (outside) or show. There is a main hotel at the lodge center and they have various other camping spots scattered around. Since I am staying in Altus, OK I cannot give a review of the hotel at the center. My drive up is interesting as at the start of this small mountain range there is a awesome log cabin style home. I would love to meet the owner one day and see the outside/inside of this home. Since it is out of season you will pass an abandon amusement park. Would make for some great still pictures. In season seems like it would be a fun little family place. Golfers, there is a golf course with nice views of the range. Overall just an awesome place for me to chill out. The painting I referred to earlier gives a great representation of the textures and colors that these granite boulders possess, with a tinge exaggertion by the artist, thank you very much. I hope to get there at night, (small moon clear night) one day and see a sky/star show. My only sadness with this spot is I am always there alone. It would be great to share with my wife/sons/ or friends. Would be awesome to hike with my old Labrador (Angel), really would be a blast hiking with a dog friend.
Thus if you like the outdoors and have a day to spend please head out to this area. I gaurantee you will enjoy this small little treasure!

Room Tip: Sorry as I mentioned on my review I have not stayed overnight at the hotel. The staff that I have en...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Max B
Oklahoma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013

My husband and I took advantage of a special reduced rate deal online, traveling to Quartz Mountain "Resort" for our anniversary. To be completely honest, we were a little disappointed - it was not what we were expecting. We are used to traveling to more luxury-type resorts and hotels. However, there were a few things that we liked. I'll try to give you a helpful synopsis of our experience.

We enjoyed the drive in. We live in Oklahoma, so it was only about a 3 hour drive for us. The closer we got to Quartz Mountain, the more scenic it became. I love the rock formations around the area. It's a very remote place, so if you are looking to get away from civilization, this is the place to do it.

However, if your version of a "resort" includes any form of luxury, such as a spa, a work-out center, gourmet dining, nightly entertainment, or landscaped gardens, this is not your place. This place is very rustic and simple, with the basic accomodations, plus wi-fi. The staff is friendly, but you will not leave feeling pampered.

Our room was quaint and clean, with southwest-inspired furniture and decorations. We were on the ground floor with a door that opened up to a nice view of Quartz Mountain. There is a very small place to sit outside the door, but the only thing that separates you from your neighbor is a thin wooden wall; otherwise the area is completely open so there is no privacy. Our sitting place was littered with broken beer bottles. A member of the staff accidentally walked in on us right after we checked in. She didn't knock, just used her key and came on in. Luckily we were just relaxing, reading a book, so it wasn't as embarassing as it could have been.

We explored the grounds and looked at the art exhibits, which took us less than an hour. After that, there wasn't much to do except go for a long walk. There are different hiking trails you can go on if that's your thing. It was really hot while we were there (a typical Oklahoma August), so we did not do the trails. We spent most of the time taking a nap or reading in our room, since there is really not much else to do there. There is a small pool, but it was full of several children, so we didn't do that either. Best to let the kids have their fun and us find a different way to relax.

There is one restaurant on the grounds, which was a disappointing experience. After driving all the way in, we didn't want to get back out again and drive to another town for dinner. So, we ate at the resort restaurant for dinner. The food was mediocre at best. The only reason we ate breakfast there the next morning was because our internet deal included a free breakfast. It was also mediocre. The restaurant is advertised as having a "chef", but I've eaten better food at local diners.

All in all, we were not completely dissatisfied, though we probably would have been had we paid the full rate. We do not plan on returning, as there are too many other places to visit in Oklahoma for a weekend trip.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank LMarie99
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

We went to Quartz Mountain Resort for a quick anniversary weekend in January. The rock formations on the drive up to the lodge really did remind us of a recent trip to Sedona. It is probably a bit of a stretch to call this a "resort," but it is a beautiful state lodge. The art diplays in the lodge are worth the drive. The room was clean, attractive and comfortable, with a strong and free wi-fi connection. We took a long walk around the lake. The staff was pleasant and helpful. We also enjoyed sitting by the fire in the lodge. There are a few signs of deferred maintainance that I hope management will take care of before the lodge begins to look run-down.

We made a day by eating lunch at Luigi's in nearby Blair and prowling through a couple of good antique shops. The only disappointment was dinner at the lodge's Sundance Cafe (and it was a MAJOR disappointment, but I'm posting a separate review.

Room Tip: Ask for view of the lake.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank oklaborn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2013

We had a great time at this somewhat out of the way but worth the drive resort. The out of the way is the charm of this place. It's quiet peace made for a great wedding anniversary weekend. All of the staff were very pleasant for the front desk to the room stewards. We had a delightful breakfast that was delicious. It was quiet and we were not rushed to move on. The wait staff was very attentive and polite. Our room and the facility was very clean and smelled wonderful. We have already booked another date.

Room Tip: Although the lake is very low, a lake side view is on the back quieter side of the hotel. Be prepar...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Reynolds3701
JERSEYVILLE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2012

I was pleased with the special Thanksgiving weekend rate we received. I read that travelers in the past had been offered a rate that was not honored. I will say we were supposed to be booked lakeside and were not, instead we were on the courtyard. I talked to the clerk when we checked out and he did give us fair compensation for the change. My husband was so impressed with the quiet. We live close to a State Park lodge and I think Quartz Mountain is one of the cleanest State Park lodges I have ever seen. I did hear there were water problems at the lodge the weekend we stayed but it did not affect the main hotel. It was very nice.

Room Tip: Lakeside would have been beautiful and my preference if we stay again.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Altus
Days Inn Altus
Days Inn Altus
#2 of 7 in Altus

Been to Quartz Mountain Resort Arts & Conference Center? Share your experiences!