“Run down and poorly managed”

Quartz Mountain Resort Arts & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lone Wolf
Blair, Oklahoma
“Run down and poorly managed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

Very run down and poorly managed. After looking at the pictures on the website I decided to see about booking my daughters upcoming wedding here. The girl in charge of weddings and events told me that there was another function the week before, ending on the morning of the wedding, but that she didn’t think there would be a conflict since we only needed the ballroom and the amphitheater. I asked her if she could let me know as soon as possible one way or the other as the wedding was 3 months away. After trying to reach her numerous times in the next three weeks I decided to drive up there and see if this place was worth the trouble. I am so glad I made the trip, I was shocked how run down this place is. I spoke briefly with the people at the front desk who told me where to find the amphitheater and pavilions, which I found to be in complete disrepair. On my way to the car I finally got a call from the event coordinator who was furious that I had been up there asking around. She told me that we had spoken every day (only twice in three weeks) and that I was being very impatient. After seeing the place and speaking with the person in charge of weddings, I’m happy to say that we won’t be having it at Quartz Mountain Resort.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Stacy4him

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here with a groupon. We enjoyed the adjacent state park while visiting. There is a water slide, mini golf and amusement park rides close by. We had no real problems that weren't addressed. The restaurant was just okay, not bad. We loved staying here!

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Xtina36
United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

This is a STATE PARK lodge, so the reviewers with luxury expectations--get real--particularly when you're paying state park prices. The lake is low because of the drought, but the scenery is still gorgeous. The Wichita National Wildlife Refuge is less than an hour trip from the lodge if you want more nature viewing. Yes, the lodge is in the middle of nature, so there are bugs outside. The rooms are still nice for the price, but I concede that as time goes on they are going to look more dated without upgrades. In fact. I suggested that the lodge should raise room rates by 10% in order to generate the revenue to renovate. (This is a state lodge in a cash-strapped state so money is not going to fall from the sky.) I love, love, the main lobby with it's high ceiling and beautiful artwork and like to sit by the fireplace in the rocking chair in winter months. The Badger Library is also gorgeous and great for meetings. The staff was very accommodating to our group. The restaurant is decent with nice views. One note to management: more frequent washing of the scenic windows in restaurant and lobby is needed to maximize the amazing views.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank aspiringtraveler2013
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

I was so disappointed, I tried to do something spontaneous and new for my husband's birthday. We were both so underwhelemed, it was down right depressing. The mountains are beautiful, the lake was very low, the room we reserved was a "mountain view" which i guess counts because we could see exactly a corner of the mountain. The property look like it was built in the 70's although it was built about 10 years ago or so ( this is a combination of the decor and lack of upkeep), which is very sad because it could have alot of potential. Its so much bad i dont know where to start. The place is dirty, i just wanted to clean everything, even in the restaurant all the tables were sticky. There was nothing exciting about the room. It was subpar the tv only had 4 channels that werent blurry. I am still recovering from the bed, I dont think i ever tossed and turned so much. They tub needed to be recaulked badly. The pool and hot tub looked gross, i dont think there is enough chlorine in the world to clean it. There is no designated adult area, if you go on the weekend expect to be unable to use the pool it always had kids in it. The restaurant however was the worst. Not only was it lacking cleanliness but the food was never hot, i personally belive they dont cook the food there they bring it, and serve it. At ridiculous prices that you would expect at 5 star restaurants. The bartender didnt know how to make simple drinks. Even the trails were lackluster, i personally believe that the people who went camping in tents had a better experience than us. There is nothing to do in the area you have to drive 30+ minutes to the nearest city. There are also spiders everywhere, we saw a black widow and a few other species and webs so if your afraid of spiders. this is a warning do not come here.

Room Tip: Just dont do it!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Lionchelle W

Travellers are raving about these Lone Wolf hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

We made our reservation for Sunday night on a Friday night. Very spur of the moment. On Saturday we called to confirm our reservation with the resort and Groupon had not sent the "request" to the resort yet....and Groupons customer service was down so we couldn't resolve the matter with Groupon. The resort honored our reservation anyway. Check- in was quick and painless even with the groupon issue. It's is very quiet and peaceful here. A very nice weekend get-a-way away from the noise.

Stayed July 2014
Slaton, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

This is our second stay at the resort, the last time being a year ago. Even thought the lake is down about 30 ft, the area is still scenic. We saw quite a few deer running around and very few people. The resort had deteriorated alot since last year. There were spider webs with bugs on everything outdoors. You could not use the balcony for this reason. You counldn't use the hand rail for the stairs or your hand would be full of bugs. The rooms were rough, with ripped, dirty carpeting and there was mold in the shower. Also urine stain down side of bed dust ruffle. Most dissapointing was the restaurant. Last year was excellent, this year terrible. Dinner was a seafood buffet, fish was overcooked, and sides limited. For breakfast they only offered the buffet, no ordering from menu. I didn't eat as I only wanted something light, but brother said it was terrible. Don't even consider trying to use the outside dinning area. It is covered in webs and bugs! Also the grounds look green, but it is all weeds, the kind with the stickers that stick to your shoes or pets. We saw many staff members driving around in golf carts,although they never stopped to assist guests. This place needs at least one FULL TIME groundkeeper. If nothing is done, I am sad to say that this resort will close down, no one will ever come back. I know we won't.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank tracemyirishroots
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

We stayed there one day. I do love the location as it is very scenic but this place is very poorly managed. If I was the owner of this place I would fire the front desk and the manager. We bought a deal on Groupon for a lake side king bed, when I arrived there I was told by Gary the front desk personal that they did not have the room I requested and somehow Groupon did not notify them about the booking. By the way I called couple of days back to confirm my booking again. I have a 7 month old baby and felt so inconvenienced when they gave us a regular queen bed room no view. Also the rooms were dated and there were two wasps alive that I killed myself in the room. I told the staff but they just shrugged it off. Imagine having a baby and dealing with a wasp. I felt I was totally ripped off for what I paid for. I would not ever go to that place again. it is a beautiful place but poorly managed. I would give this place a failure.

Room Tip: Please call in advance to confirm the reservation and write down the name of the person. you will be...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Altus
Days Inn Altus
Days Inn Altus
#2 of 7 in Altus

Been to Quartz Mountain Resort Arts & Conference Center? Share your experiences!