“Do I really have to give it one star?”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Gia Comos

Gia Comos
Ranked #54 of 74 Restaurants in McAlester
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly
College Station, Texas
“Do I really have to give it one star?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

We've driven through McAlester dozens of times but never stopped for a sit down meal there before. This time our schedule put us there overnight, so thought we'd have a nice Italian meal. Gia Comos seems to be fairly popular as there always seem to be quite a few cars in the parking lot, so why not give it a go?

Our first hint that maybe customer service and satisfaction isn't priority #1was the sign at the parking spot closest to the door that reads "Reserved for the owner." Oh well, the place is packed, so it must be good, right? Once inside, the 1960's decor kind of jumps out at you. With the exception of the flat screen tv up front this place hasn't been remodeled in decades! Oh well, maybe that's just an intentional attempt at kitschy ambience, right? No way! This place is genuinely musty retro, but not in a good way. We can overlook all that because the food must be good, right? Why else would there be so many people here? One look at the menu, and wow! New York City prices in the middle of Oklahoma! The food must REALLY be good! And it says all the dishes are family recipes handed down for generations, and they've been serving them in Gia Como's since it opened in 1959. How can we possibly go wrong? But what? No wine? How can I eat Italian without a decent bottle of wine? Oh well, we are in the bible belt. But what about all the locals drinking their Bud Lite? Huh? I don't get it.

So we ordered our food; ravioli for my wife, and chicken parmesan for me.
I don't feel the need to go into detail about it as so many others have very accurately described the abominable quality of the food, but I will simply add my amen to all those who described it as "awful." This was very possibly the worst "Italian" food I've ever choked down. It's an insult to all of Italy!

And of course, the service was equal to the quality of the food. The check was plopped down as soon as the food was served, and we were told to pay at the front on our way out. Our server did come around to ask "How's everything taste?", being careful not to allow time for our response before she added "Good, huh?" At the front counter I presented my AmEx to a woman who, I believe, must have been the matriarch of the family (and perhaps the one with the reserved parking spot!) in an effort to pay the outrageous bill and make our escape. Alas, it wasn't to be! She informed me in no uncertain terms that she doesn't accept American Express because they charge ridiculously high fees, and she refuses to do business with them. Well, I had to acknowledge that she very definitely knows something about charging ridiculous amounts, being quite expert at that skill herself. So I paid the $41 check in cash, grudgingly left a mediocre tip for the "service," and chalked it up as a bad experience.

But now I feel really bad about the last restaurant review I submitted a couple of weeks ago. I only gave the place 3 stars because the food didn't meet my expectations in spite of the fact that the owner is really trying hard and giving his best effort to develop a fine restaurant. My apologies. At least you're trying. The folks at Gia Comos, it seems, quit trying long ago.

Visited December 2013
8 Thank Doug P

Bella Vista AR
“Robert Irvine - Food Network ”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

They need your help!!!

Salad is soggy

Frozen & tasteless meats

Stale tasting

Dark and Dingy

Don't waste your money or time

8 Thank MarthaBellaVistaAR
Wister, OK
“Great Ribeye and Italian Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

This restaurant is worth the drive. Located in McAlester, Oklahoma. Lamb Fries, Ribeye Steak, Salad and some of the best Italian food around. This is the place we always come to for birthday celebrations and anniversary dinner. Don't forget about dessert. Take home a slice of Turtle Cheesecake. You will love your meal here. Enjoy

• Visited August 2013
Austin, Texas
“Under rated”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

This restaurant is great! The family owned restaurant is always welcoming and has great service. The McAlester area is known for their great Italian food and this one is the best. Decidedly the best spaghetti, raviolis, meatballs, and steak. The family style menu is perfect for special occasions and the setting only builds the character of the restaurant you snobs!

• Visited October 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Nothing Special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

We were passing through McAlester and ask our desk clerk to recommend an Italian Restaurant. We found Gia Comos to have average food. The salad was dripping with oil and vinegar. Their sauce was good but the "family style" part of the meal consisted of 3 meatballs (there were 4 of us), some doughy ravioli and a plate of spaghetti. The large plates from the salad, meatballs etc. were never removed from the table so we were jockeying them around to make room for the entrees. The building needs an update - inside and out. Did I mention the prices? A little high for the product. I had the chicken parmesan, which was ok. Don't think I would return.

• Visited July 2013