“Is there any management ever there????????”
Review of Riverside Cafe

Riverside Cafe
Cuisines: American
Fort Worth, Texas
“Is there any management ever there????????”
Reviewed 10 June 2013

First off, I LOVE MEDICINE PARK! I have stayed in the cabins at Medicine Park several times. Every experience at Medicine Park is wonderful!!!! Such a great kept secret!

However, this is why it's so disappointing to get such poor service from Riverside Cafe. I have been there 3 times now, and it's always the same. I keep hoping for a different result because I'm so fond of everything else. EVERY time I have been there I've encountered the same frustration: all young adults (teenagers) working with the same lack of desire to show any customer service. It seems they are poorly trained because simple questions or request seem to puzzle them. I want to make clear that I myself started waiting tables at 15, and love seeing young people working. So this is not a dig at there age, rather then management. I have been in the hospitality buisness for 15 years, and I hope this does not fall on deaf ears.

It seemed like the place was over-staffed, considering 3-4 employees were outside smoking at all times. I know this because we got our food to go the last time I was there and ate next door at the Tavern. Therefore, I could see the rotation of smokers coming to the side of the building. What puzzled me is how do you get such terrible service when you have tons of staff around. Also I over heard a waitor complaining about being overwhelmed with his 4 tables. I think there was only 6 or 7 tables total, part of why we chose to eat there. We thought it would be quick service for appetizers. So what was the other PACK employees doing at this time, while the waitor was "overwhelmed"???

The quality of the food seems good every time I have been there. The last time I was there we had a simple to go order of appetizers; chips and queso, onion rings and 2 orders of calf fries. When we opened the calf fries I couldn't beleive how small the portion was. It was embarassing, I wish I had taken a picture. I'm not sure if that's the normal portion, or if a mistake had been made. We had two orders of the calf fries, and one of my friends was joking that maybe they goofed and only made one so they split it when they realized. Also with the chips and queso the menu said it came with salsa also. When I searched the bag and realized we didn't have it I asked about it. The girl looked confused and hestiated about getting it until she went and asked somebody. There seemed to be an issue on what to put it in as well. Not a big deal, maybe she was new.

To be honest in my experiences these issues boil down to poor management. I've been there on a busy weekend (where issues are easier to forgive) I've also been there when it's dead. Same experience, no leadership. Maybe a shift leader that actually cared and could expedite, do table touches, or oversee the register would create a little accountability for your staff. The location is prime and people are going to come for that reason, but repeat customers will be a battle for you with these service issues. It would be a shame not to correct such an easy fix. I don't mean to be harsh, and because of my experience in the industry I'm the first to try and justify why our experience was lacking. However after 3 attemps I think it's fair to make a judgement. I really hope the service issues can be worked out.

• Visited June 2013
5 Thank DELUXELUV

Trenton, Kentucky
“2nd visit much left to be desired.”
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Our first visit here was pretty good so we thought we would take some friends who came to visit. We had a party of 8 (3 of which were kids under 8) and it was just bad from the jump. We asked for a table for 8, when they took us to the table it was only set for 7. Not a big deal. Then we ordered our drinks. Instead of unsweet tea, the four 4 of us who ordered it got sweet tea. The servers response to this, "That's weird." We were then told that there was no unsweet tea and we would have to wait for it to be brewed. Again not that big of a deal. We ordered an appetizer, 3 kids meals, 3 burgers, and a side salad. The side salad came out almost immediately, despite it being the meal for one of us. We also requested that the kids' meals come out with the appetizer. To make a long story short, all the burgers came out before the appetizer and the kids' meals. The kids' dinners came out about 10 minutes later. The burgers were luke warm and when my husband asked if the could just take the appetizer off cause he was too full to eat it, the server was very indifferent. We then got the bill and there was an 18% auto gratuity added to the check. I understand we were a party of 8, but again, there were 3 kids. My husband then went to talk to the manager, who incidentally was waiting tables as well, and he explained the situation. Her response was, "And what would you like me to do about it?" With that said, Yes there were nice views, but I highly doubt we will ever go back. My husband and I both have worked in the hospitality industry and this by far was one of the worst situations I've been in. I have never seen a staff be completely reactive when there could have easily been eased by being slightly proactive. We weren't looking to get our meal for free, but if I have to tell you how to fix your issues, something is very wrong with your staff.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Devon P
Tulsa, Ok
“Nice View, Nice Tunes”
Reviewed 18 April 2013

Best part of this place was tables overlooking the little lake. The food was ok. There was a guy singing and playing a guitar as you walk in. It was a fun place to watch the geese and the people on a really nice spring afternoon. Kid-friendly. The waitress heard my grandson say he wanted a corn dog when the food arrived and within a couple of minutes she brought it out. Nice touch.

Visited April 2013
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Relax with friends”
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Okay, this is the Riverside Café in Medicine Park, NOT the drive-thru window at a mega-chain fast food place. No one comes to Medicine Park to just "pick up something right-quick",

And that's one of the things that makes Medicine Park and the Riverside Café so great! It has a big deck overlooking the Medicine River, there is a HUGE tree growing THROUGH the dining room!

Go to Medicine Park, pick a spot to park your vehicle (or motorcycle; I think in the last 10 years I've been to Medicine Park ONCE in a car...). Take your time, relax with your friends, and walk around.

Then go to the Riverside Café, and relax. laugh, chat face to face. There is no 140-character limit on talking directly with friends. Enjoy the atmosphere of the café, enjoy the views, enjoy the food.

Enjoy what it is, don't be mad because of what it's not, and leave with a smile. THEN, you'll be back.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Jeff S
okc
“Takes way too long”
Reviewed 16 March 2013 via mobile

I'm ready To go get the goldfish snack out my car it's taking so long. A grilled cheese, catfish and two chicken sandwiches and still waiting for it ... An hour we have been here. Not the place to come with kids if you're hungry : (
It's like that for everyone around us too. We are all waiting and waiting which is why I have time to type this review.
(After we ate) it wasn't that terrific of food to take as long as it did. Cute place though

1 Thank rwestp