“Great Staff, Great Hotel”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Norman
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Norman
College Station, Texas
“Great Staff, Great Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2013 via mobile

The Fairfield Inn & Suites hotel is just what you'd expect from the Fairfield line of Marriott Hotels. The staff at the hotel was very helpful and always cheerful. The hotel has a pool which is about 40-feet by 20-feet and a hot tub. The pool area was kept very neat and was clean. The hotel also has a fitness center. The equipment included two treadmills and an elliptical machine. There was also a set of dumbells. Small space. The room was equipped with a microwave, refrigerator and coffee maker. A small desk and a dresser were also a part of the room furnishings. The one thing I missed having was a small side chair, but I think that is what you get with the Fairfield brand. We ate the breakfast buffet, which consisted of waffles, cereal, fruit, oatmeal, eggs, sausage, milk, juices and coffee. The hotel was completely full according to the hotel staff and the lobby / breakfast area was always able to hold the guests. Overall, this is a good hetel and a great staff.

Stayed April 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Belton, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

Everyone at this hotel was wonderful. We stayed for three nights and every employee at the front desk was very cheerful and helpful without seeming fake or condescending at all. The Management went above and beyond with a request we made. The lady that hosts the breakfast was such a delight. The maid was even full of smiles and always said hello when we saw her. Absolutely the most pleasant staff I've experienced in a hotel. The price was very reasonable. Great decor, clean, and located in a great location. A+++++++!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Poteau, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2012 via mobile

I stayed here while on business in Norman. They offer a government rate and free continental breakfast. The location us good with BJ's Brewhouse right next door. Rooms were clean and the staff was very friendly. Great stay!.

• Stayed September 2012
South Bend, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2012

Went to a football game and stayed at this hotel. It was your typical Fairfield Inn. Good enough for a couple nights. Clean rooms with a very friendly, professional staff. Good enough breakfast. Conveniently located next to a decent sports bar - BJ's. My only knock is not directly on this hotel but Fairfields in general. It is not 2006. Time for HDTV and a cable TV system that has a program menu. It becomes tedious slowly surfing thru channels to find something to watch (I got stuck at the hotel all day sunday due to a monday morning flight.) Also, I get tired of standing in my own dirt and grime while taking a shower. Does anybody really use a bathtub at a economy hotel?? Pull the drain stops already.

As far as the hotel's location in relation to the stadium, you are hard pressed to find anything closer than 1-2 miles from the stadium. Cabs are non-existant during game day. Your best bet is to rent a car at the OKC airport and park as close as possible on gameday.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2012

I'm a very frequent visitor of hotels all around the country, and not a single hotel has been better than this one. I stayed for 5 nights, and I was very pleased with every aspect of my visit. The front desk manager Colleen was very helpful and extremely polite. She took care of every last thing I needed. When I got to my room, it had a light hint of smoke. I mentioned the issue to her, and she immediatly apologized, explaining that the hotel is a non smoking facility, and moved me into a much better room. All in all, A++++ experience, and I will be staying again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Reno, Nevada, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2012

I recently stayed here on a business trip and had a great stay. The room was very clean and while I was there they were in the process of steamcleaning all the carpets and bathroom tile as well as curtains. If you need to do business around th OU campus this is a great location as it is only about 10 minutes down Main Street from the school. There is plenty to eat within walking distance including Olive Garden, BJ's, Charlestons and McDonalds. The breakfast was the normal Mariott style.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Albuquerque
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2012

It is with great regret that I write of the worse Marriott experience I have experienced, at The Marriott Norman Fairfield Inn and Suites. I’ve had worse stays in hotels, but this is the worse for the Marriott group of brands. This was my 951st Marriott night, and was to include 2 nights. For the first time I had to check out early from the hotel – it was unbearable. Upon check in I found the clerk dressed in a college t-shirt rather than an appropriate hotel polo-shirt uniform. I was not acknowledged based on my Marriott Rewards status, nor was I offered my complimentary arrival amenity of an item from the market or 200 points. The requested Pack and Play was in the room when I arrived to room 220, but was missing bedding for the pack and play. We left to procure bedding from a nearby store. When returning we found the lobby secure to room key access as necessary for security after midnight. Having to return after midnight with our 1 and 2 year old children was not desirable, but we now had what we needed to be able to turn in.
The room was in poor shape, notably there was significant mold on the floor tile and around the bath tub. The air conditioner struggled to keep the room comfortable on this mid-October day but groaned through the night to keep the room comfortable. Our family of four was awakened throughout the night with the movement from the room above, no doubt company from the youth sports team members we saw congregated downstairs, the experience of being in a room beneath a slumber party was a reminder that I should ask for a high floor room next time.

Finally receiving decent rest by the time the sun was rising, we were awoken to a car alarm outside our room. No doubt this was good timing, housekeeping was knocking before we were done packing to abandon the room. Upstairs the gorillas were again awake, ensuring that the carpet was well tacked to the floor with the veracity of a “Stomp” performer. When we finished our packing and took bags into the hall, housekeeping asked if we needed service today. We responded that they could have the room and we were leaving. At the front desk the clerk quickly processed my early check out. I asked if I get my points back from the second night, he said “it won’t print on the receipt”. Not an answer. I’m quite surprised that he didn’t ask why I was leaving.

After packing the car I returned to the lobby to receive the complimentary cold breakfast. The breakfast attendant nicely dressed in a sharp pink dress shirt was packing up the room. Before securing the milk with a padlock, he asked everyone in the lobby if there was anything else he could get them. After completing the clean up, he made a second round to ensure everyone had what they needed. He was the first employee that I observed that appeared to have hospitality foremost in his job.

We have checked out, and are moving to a SpringHill tonight nearby. We’ve been to this SpringHill in Moore before, and are happy to have a nearby escape to seek refuge tonight.
The hotel’s physical condition is sub-par, the placement of groups of teenagers on the top floor a bad decision, but the lack of hospitality of the staff was driving force in causing my family to leave this hotel early.

Room Tip: I would select a different hotel. The SpringHill Suites in Moore are nice, the Residence Inn in Bric...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
NormanFFS_GM, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Norman, responded to this review, 26 October 2012
I would like to sincerely apologize for the issues you faced during your recent stay with us. Our goal is to make every guest feel welcome, provide every guest a clean and fresh room that reflects the highest quality standards, always respond to any need our guests might have and to give you service that will make you want to return. Unfortunately, we let you and your family down and will make it our top priority to ensure something like this does not happen again. We take all guest comments very seriously and use them as a tool to help us ensure the proper training is implemented with every staff member, at every stage of your stay with us. I sincerely hope you will give us another chance to show you the true spirit of hospitality that you have come to expect from every Marriott property. Thank you and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Andy Booker