“Beautiful Stadium”

Oklahoma Memorial Stadium
Ranked #2 of 36 things to do in Norman
Reviewed 28 October 2013

If you haven't been to an OU football game, you're definitely missing out on something special. The stadium, and the grounds surrounding the stadium, are beautiful, and the games are so much fun! Try to go to a night game if possible.

All reviews
in 11 reviews
"games"
in 28 reviews

Reviewed 21 October 2013

This was very emotional; they have done a wonderful job of a memorial for those lost that day! Didn't get a chance to go through the Museum, but grounds were aweseome.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

It's been a long time since I've been to a game inside the stadium, however, I would go to the tailgate parties during OU home games. It's really a very neat stadium and fun to go to.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

My wife and I went to the game versus the Tulsa Golden Hurricane on a beautiful day for football. For me, the game was like my mom and dad were fighting as I grew up a Sooners fan, but I graduated from Tulsa. You hate for either to lose. However, I had to go with my upbringing and hope that my alma mater would make the game competitive.

Like anyplace else, the closer you park, the earlier you should arrive and the more money you will pay. For us, we took the exit off of I-35 onto State Highway 9 East and followed it to Jenkins Avenue. On the NW corner of the intersection, there is Lloyd Noble Arena, and we parked in the parking lot for free. We walked to the stadium (around ¾ mile), but you can ride a bus to the stadium for $2. Since the game started at 11 AM, we arrived to park around 8 AM. Another benefit of arriving early is that you can walk around and take in the atmosphere and tradition.

Many people congregate at Campus Corner, which is located about 5 blocks to the north of the stadium. We didn’t do this, but I included the information in this review as it is a big part of the game day experience for many people.

On the east side of the stadium, on Jenkins Avenue, there is Heisman Park. You can view the larger than life statues of Oklahoma’s five Heisman trophy winners. There are statues of Billy Vessels (1952), Steve Owens (1969), Billy Sims (1978), Jason White (2003) and Sam Bradford (2008). Only Notre Dame, Ohio State and USC have more Heisman Winners than OU. South of Heisman Park, there are statues of Barry Switzer, Chuck Fairbanks and Bennie Owen (the namesake of “Owen Field”). North of Heisman Park, there is a parking lot with various vendor booths, as well as the Sooner Schooner. You can get your picture taken with Boomer and Sooner. To the south of the stadium, there is a plaza

You cannot enter the stadium until 90 minutes before game time (unless you have a club ticket). There is a Bank of Oklahoma ATM on the east side of the inside of the stadium. The holographic OU souvenir cup will cost $5. Most of the other concessions are standard fare, in price and selection, as compared to other stadiums and concert venues. Since you will sit on bleachers, you may wish to rent a stadium seat for $5. New security rules are in place, such that do not allow you to bring your own seat cushion. A game day program is $5.

Unless you are part of the tailgating, I would recommend getting into the stadium around 45 minutes prior to kickoff. You can see the end of warm ups by the players. The Pride of Oklahoma marching band will perform prior to the National Anthem and kickoff. At the end of the National Anthem, you will hear “For the land of the free and the home of the SOONERS!”. No disrespect intended – fans of the Sooners are red-blooded Americans. Right before kickoff, raise a hand in the air, extend your index finger, and join the tens of thousands of Sooners fans build to a crescendo of “O” until the ball is kicked. You are now part of one of the greatest traditions in college sports. BOOMER SOONER!!!

TIP: I recommend that you bring a small plastic bag to put your program in, or anything else that you do not want to get wet. If you set things down by where you are sitting, beer or pop will inevitably find their way to your items. This is a good idea for any game, concert, NASCAR race, or other large organized event.

2  Thank AlphaRam