“Somewhat Disappointing”

Ranked #13 of 24 Hotels in Norman
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Somewhat Disappointing”
Reviewed 1 July 2011

I choose this hotel after seeing the reviews and pictures online. Wanted to try a "Boutique" hotel. Although the decor is nice I was somewhat disappointed with the property. I will be visiting Norman much over the next few years and will NOT be staying here again. There is no complimentary breakfast or late checkout, this may be typical of a Boutique hotel but other hotels in the area offer it. The room A/C unit too loud when you wanted to watch TV, the bathroom fan is even louder. I would think for a newer/newly remodeled hotel more care would have been taken to reduce the noise levels. Oh and the firepit area actually had a (not planned) fire. It was only 1 night but it was enough to convince me to look elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 30 June 2011

I stayed here after my wedding, and found it to be a great hotel. The interior is modern and sleek, and our room felt like it should be in a hotel with a higher price tag. The breakfast wasn't quite up to par with going out to eat at a breakfast place, but it was hot and quick. Overall, I loved it and I would book again!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 7 June 2011

I recently traveled to Norman from Dallas, TX to enroll in classes for the Fall semester at OU. Since enrollment began at 8:30, and I didn't want to leave Dallas in the wee hours of the morning, I needed a place to stay overnight in Norman. The Courtyard turned out to be a fantastic choice.

The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful, and the room was spacious and spotless. Overall, the hotel appeared to be very new, and the quality and cleanliness of the room reflected that. The carpet was new, the bathroom was spotless, and, most importantly, the beds were clean and comfortable.

The Marriott Courtyard is a fantastic place to stay, and I really do have no complaints. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Scott S
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 2 May 2011

We have been Marriott Rewards members for almost 10 years and prefer the Residence Inn's because they have actual "suites" and not just one big room (we are in our late 30's with 2 pre-teenagers). However, THIS Courtyard far surpassed our expectations! We drove from San Antonio to Norman arriving at 10:30pm. We got into our room immediately and were greeted by two queen beds in a very modern room. As a previous poster mentioned, "great value, facilities, location." It truly was. Our rate was only $71 with AAA discount, total of $80 with tax. Beds were very comfy and we all got a good night's sleep before tackling the last 10 hours home the next day.

Another reviewer mentioned her three quirks about the hotel. First, the fan and the lightswitch in the bathroom are together in one. Yes, they are. Big deal! When you are traveling with a family of four, you appreciate to just have the option of a fan in the bathroom. Secondly, the so-called light on the fire extinguisher ceiling WASN'T EVEN NOTICEABLE! I tried to find it by staring at the ceiling and it wasn't there. EVEN if it was, this would have been the last thing to bother me before I dozed off to sleep. The AC unit did kick on and off all night long. Again, it wasn't a big deal for us. White noise like that doesn't bother us in the least.

Would definitely stay here again if we were ever in the area.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank mlempx4
NormanSales, Director of Sales at Courtyard Norman, responded to this review, 5 May 2011
It's great to hear the ups and downs of how people experience our hotel but I must say the ups are soooo much better!! I appreciate your comments regarding the fans in the bathrooms, that is a hard thing to explain to guests and you did marvelous! We are so happy that you enjoyed our hotel and next time your in town I hope you stay with us again!!

Nelson Davis
Director of Sales
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 2 April 2011

On our way back from San Antonio, we secured the last room for our family. Great service, facilities, food quality, and value

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
NormanSales, Director of Sales at Courtyard Norman, responded to this review, 4 April 2011
Thank you so much for your kind words. We look forward to seeing you back at our hotel!
Plano, Texas
Reviewed 19 March 2011

The room decor in this hotel was beautiful. It had an urban/modern feel that you would expect from a much more expensive and trendy hotel. The bathroom was large with a fan that really helped with the humidity you usually get from taking a shower in a hotel bathroom. Towels were generously sized, soft and thick. Bedding was very clean - white sheets with no dark bedspread - just a pretty bedrunner at the foot of the bed. Room had a refrig, and coffee maker. The staff was friendly and very helpful. We asked for late check out and they let us stay until 1:30 pm. The entire hotel was very clean and contemporary. The lobby has a small snack bar that sells some breakfast items ranging from egg dishes to fruit, yogurt and cereal as well as light appetizers and snacks in the evening. It is on the pricey side as you would expect in a hotel. Within walking distance are many restaurants and it is right off Interstate 35 so you can drive to other areas to eat or shop. A short drive from the OU campus. A nice feature of this hotel is the fire pit in the courtyard which we could see from our window but never utilized.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
It's amazing just how detailed you were with your image of our property. I wanted to personally thank you for giving us the opportunity and we look forward to having you back again!!
Texas
Reviewed 19 February 2011

First I will agree that this is a really nice hotel. It is fairly new and the decor is very modern, everything is clean. No complaints at first glance.

As you walk in there is a bistro on your right with lots of tables, everything is bright and cheery. Check-in is on the left and straight ahead at the back of the lobby is a area with a big long desk which appears to be the business center and also in the same room on the opposite side is an area to relax and watch t.v. There is a small fitness area and an indoor pool, both appear to be nice as well.

I liked our room as soon as I saw it. Again there are bright cheery colors of orange and yellow, a modern decor. Our room was a king, it was small but big enough for us. There is a sofa that makes out into a bed, a desk, and a small armoire to hang your clothes.

The bathroom is small and the most annoying thing to us was that there wasn't a separate switch for the fan and the light so every time you go into the bathroom and turn on the light you have to hear this very loud fan. If there's another person sleeping it can be bothersome. As previously mentioned, there is a smoke alarm fire extinguisher on the ceiling and as soon as you turn off the lights it blinks bright green, very bright all night long. Once you go to sleep you won't notice it but it is another little annoying thing until you do.

The air conditioning unit was also previously mentioned and we agree with that as well. Every time it kicks on, it's very loud and it woke us up. When it was on we were cold and when it went off it was stuffy in the room. I also thought the bed was very uncomfortable and can't imagine anyone thinking it was unless they like really hard beds. So because of all these things I woke up the next morning with bloodshot eyes. Maybe all these things won't bother you if you sleep like a rock but I don't.

A previous poster also said that there was no full length mirror and I thought the same until I found it on the back of the bathroom door.

This is a nice hotel and I wouldn't discourage anyone from staying there as long as you know that there are some sleep disturbances. For this reason my husband and I will not stay here again.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple