“WORST HOTEL I'VE EVER STAYED AT”

Marriott Conference Center at the National Center for Employee Development
Ranked #13 of 24 Hotels in Norman
Reviewed 12 May 2014

My girlfriend and I traveled to Norman to see her sister graduate from OU and I should have been more thourough in my search on places to stay. I have never been more dissapointed in my life. I tried to do everything in my power to stay away from this hotel. I've stayed many places that offered a great deal more at a cheaper price and better amenities. With all the money I spent on a weekend here, I could have donated this money to make the rooms just a little bigger and hopefully made someone elses stay just a little better. The rooms are so small that I couldn't even put my toiletries bag on the sink counter without it falling off on to the ground. Anyways, here are some ways the hotel could improve:

-Include free Wifi (we live in the 21st Century)
-Include On-Demand
-Use a contractor to tear down the lobby's walls and modernize the facility
-Have sponsored events for the Postal Workers who stay there for weeks on end with nothing to do. (This creates a better atmosphere for those who don't work for the post office)
-Hier a interior decorater (The rooms reminded me of the 1950's)
-Have a stamp room. create a museum or somthing. (because who cares that much about stamps... LIKE REALLY??)

Now that I've established some of the things that the hotel can work on, i'd like to say some good things about our stay:

-Staff was VERY nice!
-Serve breakfast until 12 and then lunch starts!!
-The bar is open till 1. (Even though everywhere else is open until 2)
-Offered a shuttle to OU graduation
-Offered shuttle service to Casino

In every situation there are pro's and con's and I always like to look on the brightside of things; However, this place scared the begeezers out of me. Not only was it a bad stay, but I felt like it was haunted. I truly don't believe in the paranormal but this place made me question everything... Oklahoma is deffinetely "UNIQUE" and i'm okay with that. Anyways, I'm never going back to NCED Conference Center and Hotel if you paid me a boat load of money. If anything, I'd like to organized an event to raise money for changes to be made. There's so much room for improvement and change, and with such a great staff, the Mariott Corporation deserves more from the NCED.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ryan P

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Nice, well maintained building and grounds. Room was clean and comfortable and all employees were courteous and efficient. Breakfast buffet offered many various options and were well presented and tasty.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Nice hotel, small rooms (250 sq. ft.) with queen beds. Very clean room & bath. Great breakfast included. This is considered a "federal govt. building" so CHL holders will have to leave there weapon locked in the vehicle.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 30 March 2014

This is a perfect hotel to stay in while visiting your OU student as well as for games and OU activities. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful all the way from the front desk personnel, housekeeping and management. The rooms are small, but clean and have all the amenities you need. We spend very little time in the room when we are visiting, however if my husband and I both go we usually get 2 queen beds and our daughter leaves the dorm and stays with us. The rooms are connecting so she has her own room with TV, fridge and microwave. The breakfasts are good with many choices, the only drawback on the meal is if you want to go back and getting something else after you handed over you voucher you are not allowed to. We stayed here for several football games and took the shuttle from the hotel and did not have to worry about parking and was dropped off very close to the stadium. This hotel is much easier to get to campus than all the other hotels west of the school. We will continue to stay here on all our visits to Norman which will be for a while since our daughter is only a freshman.

Room Tip: I would ask for a higher floor facing west.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ewhansen
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Hotel is clean and staff is extra friendly! Rooms are a little small but not small as an RV which in turn means they are roomy:) walls are a little thin but perfect for two. Gym facilities are great, weight room and tread mill. I did not eat in the cafeteria but the food smelled great and the menu had plenty to offer. I had a sandwich in the bar with a cold brew but I would not recommend eating ANY of the bar food (club sandwich was a ham and cheese with a Stale bun). Pool was not open yet but looking very large and plenty of room for all. Parking lot is controlled by security which is a plus to anyone. Passing thru Norman I would stop in again and have a cold one.

Room Tip: Don't plan on spending a whole lot of time in the room and you will be fine with any!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 February 2014

I hosted a conference here and the staff and facilities were amazing. The facility provides everything your guests could possibly need from a free medical clinic to amazing fitness facilities with staff, tons of food options, a great pub, beautiful grounds, lots of meeting spaces, shuttle service, and most importantly amazing staff. The rooms are small but clean and comfortable. I recommend bringing ear plugs if you're a light sleeper as the rooms are not very sound proof.

There are shuttles running frequently to various location but you can also charter one at a great price. We took advantage of a chartered shuttle for 4 hours and I highly recommend it. The shuttle was half the price of the local taxi service to take us to downtown OKC and the driver (Missy) couldn't have been more friendly. She was amazing!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 February 2014

The staff is friendly, rooms are clean, great food, and perfect location in Norman. I will continue to stay here every time I go to Norman, OK. They take care of you and plan ahead. There was bad weather and they had contingencies for everything. Excellent hotel!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Travellers also viewed these Norman hotels
Embassy Suites by Hilton Norman - Hotel & Conference Center
La Quinta Inn & Suites Oklahoma City Norman
Hampton Inn Norman
Hampton Inn Norman
#4 of 24 in Norman

Been to Marriott Conference Center at the National Center for Employee Development? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Marriott Conference Center at the National Center for Employee Development

Address: 2801 E State Highway 9, Norman, OK 73071-1101 (Formerly NCED Conference Center and Hotel)
Region: United States > Oklahoma > Norman
Bar / Lounge Business Centre with Internet Access Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Restaurant Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
#5 Business Hotel in Norman
Price Range: £84 - £188 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3 star — Marriott Conference Center at the National Center for Employee Development 3*
Recently opened to the public, this is the largest hotel in Oklahoma, featuring newly (2009) renovated guest rooms, affordable buffet style dinner and route 66 lounge. It also has the most extensive fitness and recreational facilities of any hotel in Oklahoma. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Marriott Conference Center at the National Center for Employee Development reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Nced Hotel Norman