“Fun and Safe”
Review of Thunderbird Riding Stables - CLOSED

Thunderbird Riding Stables
Reviewed 22 June 2012

The horses are well-cared for and well-trained which makes the experience more enjoyable for those of us who care about animals. The trail is pleasant, wooded and with at least one view of the lake. The grounds are fenced. The operators are very willing to give beginners riding tips. I don't believe the owners are interested in people who want to treat their horses like a mechanical bucking bull. Horses mouths are very sensitive. I have not seen anyone bringing back their horse super sweaty and bloody mouthed like at some riding establishments.

Reviewed 29 April 2012

On a recent return visit to Oklahoma, my partner wanted to participate in some more nature-based activities, so I thought it would be a great chance to re-visit this little known gem. Man was I disappointed.
The ranch hand there was very short initially, and seemed to look down on us for being "out-of-towners." Being a proud Oklahoman, I found this attitude unacceptable. We both told her that we had had little to no experience in handling horses, however, this seem to have little affect upon her attitude. She saddled us up quickly with two even-tempered horses then disappeared. My partner's horse, Honey, took the lead, with my horse, Whisper, following. What happened next was what was disappointing.
Honey proceeded to spend the next 15-20 minutes eating grass and shrubbery just outside the borders of the stable. Nary a gentle tug on the reins, a kick, a giddy-up, or a pat on the haunches could get her to move. Whisper was too timid to move on past her, so there we sat for some time watching a horse eat leaves. When Honey had had her fill, she turned around, and made a B-line for the stables, completely refusing to follow the rest trail. And of course, Whisper followed.
Seeing us back at the stables, the same ranch hand helped us dismount immediately. When we tried to explain what had happened, she admonished us for not being firm enough with the horses, and for not wearing the right kind of shoes. Of course, shoe preference was not mentioned when we made the reservations. She then stormed off and left us to wander off the stable grounds and back to our car

3  Thank RIMT
Reviewed 30 March 2011

My teenage daughters and I called and made reservations for Spring Break. They were very busy but able to get us in at our desired time. They asked excellent questions to make sure we were paired with the correct horses for our abilities. We loved being able to ride the horses on the trail on our own and not have someone with us the whole time. The trails are very well marked but the horses pretty much know the routine and know where they are supposed to go. Very pretty area to ride in and the horses were very well mannered. We LOVED it!

2  Thank Wowx3