“Lake Thunderbird is our stay-cation place when we need to be close to nature and the beautiful canvas God paints.”

Lake Thunderbird State Park
Ranked #6 of 33 things to do in Norman
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
Reviewed 29 September 2013

If you enjoy calm water, lovely sunsets, and sitting around the quiet campfire then Little Sandy is a nice place to bring your small to mid-size RV. There are also a few sites to accommodate large buses, but those are certainly more limited. The camp host is friendly and leaved you alone. We come here several times a year for a quick and inexpensive vacation close to home.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Teresamcafeewagner

13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Redneck Paradise”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

...and I mean that in a good way...

The only reason I would return is to see a local artist perform at Clear Bay Cafe. Other than that, it is a marina disguised as a state park.

If you are a boat person, then I'm sure this is a great place. But, if you are used to REAL state parks with REAL hiking trails that are marked well so you can find them with parking lots to park and walk on them....you are going to be disappointed.

The campground areas seem ok, typical of a state park environment. Other than that, this isn't anyplace that you are missing.

Visited September 2013
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
255 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 448 helpful votes
“Went Looking For Rose Rocks...”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

My wife, one of my grandaughters, and I, went the this state park to look for rose rocks. Before hunting for the rose rocks, we ate at the Clear Bay Cafe and we saw three deer as we were leaving the cafe. The deer seem semi-tame as they didn't dart away when we approached in our vehicle.

The location that we searched for rose rocks is on the north side of the lake near the boat ramp at Denver Corner. The largest rose rock was found by my wife and it is the size of her fist. We kept around 50 specimens.

TIPS FOR HUNTING ROSE ROCKS:
1. Bring a sturdy plastic container - perhaps a five gallon bucket. Bring hand-sized gardening tools - shovel, three-pronged claw, etc.
2. Most rose rocks are partially exposed already - dislodge them from the soil if it is a rose rock.
3. Some rose rocks can be found at the edge of the water.
4. Keep all of the rocks that you find until you are done, then sort them out.

Visited August 2013
10 Thank AlphaRam
U.s.
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Nice Lake”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Nice camp grounds, fishing, and boat docks and ramps. Good plac e for a holiday week end or vacation. only 10 to 15 minute drive to downtown Norman.

Visited August 2012
Glendale, Arizona
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Nice peaceful place”
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I enjoyed my visit to lake Thunderbird State Park. The hiking was my favorite part of the trip. The sound of the waves on the peaceful shore was very relaxing and tranquil. The day that I went there were beautiful clouds and bright green landscape.

Visited May 2013

Been to Lake Thunderbird State Park? Share your experiences!