“Didn't have a clue what I was going to get.”

Das Boot Camp Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #17 of 334 Restaurants in Norman
Price range: US$6 - US$10
Cuisines: German
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Told a friend I didn't car where we went for dinner. She said ok Das Boot. I thought crap! What am I going to eat I don't know German food and I'm not a sausage fan. Turns out everything they have here is great (baring the sausage but that's just me my family loves it). The Jaeger schnitzel is awesome the sandwiches are great.

Skmccall, General Manager at Das Boot Camp Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Hi Swank23, Thanks for taking the time to write a review about your experience at Das Boot Camp. I'm really glad that you had a much better than you expected experience! I'm also happy that you felt the Jägerschnitzel was awesome. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again very soon!! Maybe the next time you are with the same friend you should say let's go to Das Boot!!

There are newer reviews for Das Boot Camp Restaurant & Bar

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Finding a good locally owned non-chain restaurant in Norman can be a challenge. Das Boot Camp does not look like much from the outside, but the inside is large with a variety of seating options that can accommodate couples, booths for 4 or 6 and several very large tables. There is a bar in the back too. It is not opulent but clean and modern looking. Since Das Boot Camp is known for its beers, we selected the flight of the 5 beers available that evening to see what suited us best. We would highly recommend this approach, as the beers are hand crafted in a different style than, say, Ayinger (my favorite Oktoberfest). At 75 cents a sample, you can hardly go wrong ordering a flight. Surprisingly, we both liked the Pilsner the best, probably because the beers were handcrafted in a lighter style. Beers come in ~0.5, 1, 2 and 3 liter glasses/mugs/boots. Pick your favorite size, but be aware that the Norman Police heavily patrols Main Street. The large Oktoberfest pretzel made a nice accompaniment for the beer. For entrees, we both ordered the highly touted Jägerschnitzel with what is referred to as noodles (aka spaetzle). The homemade hunter sauce was excellent. Both plates came loaded and were cleaned (we were hungry). The wait staff jokingly said, based on the consumption, we must not have enjoyed it. The wait staff deserves an extra shout out for being friendly, professional and knowledgeable, much more so than one might expect from a mid-priced restaurant. We even had a little room to split the Apple Strudel that was good, but slightly overcooked, in my opinion. I like my strudel with apples that have the slightest amount of resistance. Still, this is being picky and the overall dining experience was fun, tasty and did not break the bank. It was probably worth twice what we paid. It looks like we found another good locally owned non-chain restaurant in Norman!

Skmccall, General Manager at Das Boot Camp Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Hi Met_Prof, Thanks so much for your recent review of Das Boot Camp. I am happy to hear how much you enjoyed our restaurant. I'm also pleased to hear how much you liked the beer and the Jägerschnitzel. Your comments are greatly appreciated and we hope to see you again very soon!!

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

We came to Norman on a whim from Tulsa, as we are recent transplants to the state and wanted to see OU. We wandered into Das Boot Camp, and it was everything you'd expect from a German restaurant. The Jagger Schnitzel was to die for, and so were the warm baked pretzels with mustard. We look forward to coming back!

Skmccall, General Manager at Das Boot Camp Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Thanks for your recent review Lekbla20. I'm very pleased that you enjoyed your first visit to our restaurant so much and that you are looking forward to returning. Your comments are greatly appreciated and we look forward to seeing you again very soon!!

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I am not a big fan of the food... but that should be mark against the restaurant. I am not sure I like German food. Not their fault, just not my preference. But I did like their beer and purchased as large plastic "Das Boot"! Good times!

Skmccall, Front Office Manager at Das Boot Camp Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Hi Brenda R, Thanks for your recent review. I glad that you enjoyed our handcrafted beer and you now have a boot to enjoy at home. Please visit us again soon.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We're huge fans of German food and were pleased to find this little spot in Norman. Both of us ordered the Jaeger Schnitzel and split a pretzel to start. The only thing we really noticed about the menu was (a) a lack of a "sides" section and (b) everything seemed to only come with a dedicated side. Like the schnitzel came with noodles/spaetzle. If you order the schnitzel at a popular German restaurant in OKC it comes with sauerkraut, red cabbage and German potato salad. Not to say the spaetzle was bad - just surprised it was the only side that came with the dish and since there isn't a "sides" section on the menu it wasn't obvious you could order one and you definitely didn't know the prices. It took reading all the items on the menu to know that there were other options available and then had to ask the staff for a substitution or addition.

That said... the schnitzel was one of the best we've had. Very tender and almost like what you'd expect in an Okie restaurant when you order chicken fried steak, i.e. it darn near covered the plate. Huge serving. So much so my wife couldn't finish hers and I was near bursting when I finally finished mine. And the gravy was outstanding. The side of German potato salad was good too - though just a tad on the dry side.

My only real suggestions are to expand the menu with a "sides" section and then add at least sauerkraut to the plating.

Skmccall, General Manager at Das Boot Camp Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Hi SS1971, Thanks for your recent review of Das Boot Camp. I'm so glad that you discovered our Norman restaurant, especially since you are huge fans of German food. I'm also pleased that you felt our Schnitzel was the best you've had. As far as the entrees only coming with one side, our menu is priced dramatically lower than other German restaurants in the OKC area (everything under $10) but we do offer additional sides for $1.50. Thanks again and we hope to see you soon.