“Front desk employees are this place's best feature!”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Norman
Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in Norman
Bennington, Nebraska
“Front desk employees are this place's best feature!”
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Stayed here in August 2010 and again in July 2011. When I checked in, Breanna remembered me from last year (the vacuum cleaners were broken last year and all the floors, including rooms, were yucky - a front desk person finally brought hers in from home and things changed.) She was very gracious and welcoming. My room wasn't fully made up; she and Mark made sure the missing items were stocked and did so pleasantly and quickly.

Stairs up to the 2nd floor (more convenient for me than an elevator) were absolutely filthy and only got worse during my stay. I recommend use of a Dirt Devil or Shark to easily and quickly vacuum steps. Hallways seemed to get vacuumed daily. Rest of lobby was very pleasant, as per the picture up above.

Asked for a studio suite - that includes a fridge and microwave. The area where the microwave and fridge are placed has an empty cabinet under the m/w, presumably to store food/other things. Entire area, except bathroom, was carpeted. (I think I'd have tiled the area by the fridge & m/w, but that's just my homemaking instincts.) Fridge was small, no freezer, with lots of little pop can holders built in.

Floor was not vacuumed along the edges. Return air vent on wall by the curtains was dusty. Rest of room looked okay.

Bed was comfortable. 3 pillows on the bed; 2 very, very soft and one very, very firm. NOT comfortable. Comforter looked a little used; I pulled it off and used a blanket instead. TV was positively antique; I don't watch TV, but I'd recommend replacing it with a flat screen mounted on the wall so that it can be turned toward either the sitting area or the bed area. The Country Inn and Suites is only accessible by going through other business' parking lots, so the location is pretty quiet. I had a parking lot-side room and heard noise from the parking lot (see below). When I stayed there last year, I had a west-facing room and it was much quieter.

No formal eating area, but as mentioned above, there was a sitting area with a pull-out sofa and chair. Wi-fi wasn't high speed, but it did work, refreshing e-mail screens every 1 - 2 minutes. Work area had its own light, which doubled as a power source for my computer. Work area chair was comfortable.

Breakfast on day 1 had many of the same items reappear on day 2, which made me think they were leftovers from day 1. Day 1, biscuits (no sausage gravy), diced ham and pre-formed "omelets". Day 2, diced ham and omelets again. Hmmm. On Day 1, there were 2 carafes of milk set out, whole and skim. On Day 2, only the whole milk. I managed to get the attention of the two employees yakking it up in the adjoining service room, and was informed that they couldn't get any skim milk. There's a grocery store less than a mile down the road - seemed more like laziness than lack of availability.

Poked my head into the fitness center. 2 treadmills facing a bank of mirrors, no tvs or other distractions. Floor was dirty, so I figured the treadmills were as well. Didn't use.

Nothing really to do with the motel, but my car was dinged up by a group of people that were running in and out of the motel in the evening, pulling suitcases out of the motel and into their cars. Not sure who puts a suitcase in the car at 8 p.m., but they were noisy and inconsiderate. Maybe they didn't like the Nebraska plates on the car?

Hotels/motels are way overpriced in Norman; guess that's the downside of a college town. This one was reasonably priced (by Norman standards). It had a fridge and m/w. It also has front desk people like Breanna and Mark, which is why I returned.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Mattie S, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Norman, responded to this review, 30 August 2011
We take comments as yours seriously in an effort to improve our overall quality and guest experience!

Warm regards,
405.360.0240
cx_nook@countryinns.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
El Dorado, Kansas
Reviewed 1 August 2011

All hotels in Norman are high priced, but I think this one is a good value when comparing it to the others. I had a great room with a super comfortable bed. It is very quiet, and wireless internet works well. They have an indoor pool and hot tub. Breakfast was very good. Everyone I encountered there from the front desk clerks to housekeepers to the woman taking care of the breakfast room were very friendly and made sure everything was right with my stay.

When I got there, they gave me a room that hadn't been cleaned, yet. I went back to the front desk and asked if I could wait there until it was ready. The clerk apologized and said she would find me another room. I am a Club Carlson silver member, so I asked if they had any upgrades and she upgraded me to a suite.

It is right behind Carino's and I-Hop with Red Robin next to Carino's.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed 25 June 2011

This hotel is in a pretty convenient spot in Norman, just off the interstate, but set back such that there isn't road noise. There are numerous restaurants within walking distance of the hotel (Carinos, Interurban, Jason's Deli). Breakfast was good, and coffee was actually decent (unlike at most hotels).

My only complaint is that the bed was exceptionally firm, which is not my preference.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed 2 May 2011

Stayed here for 5 nights while visiting family in the area. The breakfast buffet is the best I've experienced. The usual, plus waffles, fruit, and different meat and eggs each morning. Also serviced by a lovely woman. The room was quite comfortable & clean. Set back from the expressway so quieter than other hotels in area. My room in the back on the ground floor faced a line of trees. Nice. Will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Very good rate by paying in advance.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
Marina, California
Reviewed 24 March 2011

I was surprised to get this place on Hotwire. You don't normally see this chain on there. As I recall, it was a 3* and, all in all, I don't think it deserves that.
The lobby was very pretty with its comfortable sitting area, fireplace and wood-railed staircase, but the rooms were really drab and just somewhat disconcerting. I can't really explain the latter, but there was just something wrong here. I was surprised to see all of the obvious signs of wear in the bathroom. Lots of marks on the wall, grout from the tub, etc. I was also surprised to find no fridge and microwave in the room. I had always assume all Country Inns had these, but I guess not this one. There was actually no public microwave in the hotel, but the clerk was nice enough to warm up my leftovers in the employee microwave.
Maybe the Hotwire thing did it, but we were stuck at the end of the hall by the stairs. I like the end of the hall, but not next to the stairs. In the end, this didn't prove to be a problem, because the breakfast herd instead used the main stairs in the morning.
Breakfast was served in a somewhat cramped room. Most hotel breakfast areas are cramped though, so they can't be blamed. Nothing exceptional on the menu but certainly above a Super 8. It seems like, just from the decor, they're trying to directly compete with Homewood Suites and that hotel, at least the location where I stayed most recently, had a FANTASTIC breakfast.
I checked out the reading area in the lobby while I waited for my food to be heated and found a lot of L. Ron Hubbard books on the bookshelf. I guess they just take whatever they can get for free and I can't really blame them for that. Just kind of strange.
They also have a small porch-like area just outside the front door where guests can sit and awkwardly stare at other guests coming through the front door. It was especially weird because the porch just looked out at the vast parking lot. This when there was a sort of undeveloped forest right behind the building.
The hotel also allows pets and, in the morning, we got a yappy dog in a nearby room as an alarm clock.
The biggest slap in the face was the fact that, although they have an indoor pool + hot tub that looked really nice, the whole facility was closed for "maintenance." I was really looking forward to it and was very disappointed.
Big plus is that there are a couple of restaurants in the parking lot, one of them being a Jason's Deli.
I certainly wouldn't have booked this place on my own and I wasn't really happy with Hotwire's putting me here. I think a 2* from them probably would have been about on par with this for the experience and would have cost a little less.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank colinaz
Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed 21 November 2010

We spent two nights here after being disappointed by the Hampton two weeks prior. The rooms smell a little musty, but I think it's simply because business is slow and they're not being used. That said, I got a great rate ($85) for a 1-bedroom king suite. It was clean and comfortable. A big plus for me: the window actually opens! Fresh air is a wonderful thing! This will be my new choice for hotels in Norman. Breakfast isn't too great, but it compares to what a Hampton or Fairfield will offer. There were plenty of cookies each night, too.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Reykjanesbaer
Reviewed 19 September 2010

We stayed at the County inn & suites for a total of four nights. The continental breakfast was always good and they never ran out of supplies. 24 hour coffee and cookies is a great idea and we definitely used it. County Inn has good size rooms and the air conditioning was definitely a life saver in the 100 degree + temperatures. Never used the pool though since we were visiting friends who have a backyard pool. The business center could use more than one computer though. Overall a great experience, will definitely recommend to friends.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family