“Continues the 5-Star Tradition!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Norman
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Norman
Laguna Woods, California
“Continues the 5-Star Tradition!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2011

I've lost track of how many Country Inn & Suites we've stayed in on this trip, having just discovered them on our 3rd night on the road. We weren't disappointed with the first one and we certainly weren't with this one: a warm, efficient greeting at the front desk followed by the joy of opening our door onto a lovely, large, well-furnished suite. Exceptionally clean, well equipped and comfortable, it's the kind of place a traveler is happy to "come home to". We were really impressed when, after we'd been in our room about 15 minutes, our in-room phone rang and it was the front desk calling to make sure everything was as we wished. How often does that happen? It simply made our day. The Welcome Bag of goodies in our room was a nice touch . And of course, the fresh-baked cookies at the front desk are always tempting. BTW: this chain really has nailed it with their breakfast offerings and the cleanliness of the space.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ruth T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2011

Wonderful people working at the hotel. Lots of restaurants within walking distance. We got a great price too. Breakfast is adequate.

• Stayed August 2011
      Location
      Rooms
Auburn, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

We were in the Norman area due to an illness of a relative so needed a place that was close and affordable. This hotel worked well for our needs. Close to a sister in law and many restaurants. I would definitely recommend upgrading to a suite like we did if you are staying for several days. Gave us extra living space which was handy for relatives visiting and for the refrigerator and microwave. Several people have mentioned the small breakfast area and food qualaity but considering what you are paying the food was decent. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank JPDMAD
Bennington, Nebraska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

Stayed here in August 2010 and again in July 2011. When I checked in, Breanna remembered me from last year (the vacuum cleaners were broken last year and all the floors, including rooms, were yucky - a front desk person finally brought hers in from home and things changed.) She was very gracious and welcoming. My room wasn't fully made up; she and Mark made sure the missing items were stocked and did so pleasantly and quickly.

Stairs up to the 2nd floor (more convenient for me than an elevator) were absolutely filthy and only got worse during my stay. I recommend use of a Dirt Devil or Shark to easily and quickly vacuum steps. Hallways seemed to get vacuumed daily. Rest of lobby was very pleasant, as per the picture up above.

Asked for a studio suite - that includes a fridge and microwave. The area where the microwave and fridge are placed has an empty cabinet under the m/w, presumably to store food/other things. Entire area, except bathroom, was carpeted. (I think I'd have tiled the area by the fridge & m/w, but that's just my homemaking instincts.) Fridge was small, no freezer, with lots of little pop can holders built in.

Floor was not vacuumed along the edges. Return air vent on wall by the curtains was dusty. Rest of room looked okay.

Bed was comfortable. 3 pillows on the bed; 2 very, very soft and one very, very firm. NOT comfortable. Comforter looked a little used; I pulled it off and used a blanket instead. TV was positively antique; I don't watch TV, but I'd recommend replacing it with a flat screen mounted on the wall so that it can be turned toward either the sitting area or the bed area. The Country Inn and Suites is only accessible by going through other business' parking lots, so the location is pretty quiet. I had a parking lot-side room and heard noise from the parking lot (see below). When I stayed there last year, I had a west-facing room and it was much quieter.

No formal eating area, but as mentioned above, there was a sitting area with a pull-out sofa and chair. Wi-fi wasn't high speed, but it did work, refreshing e-mail screens every 1 - 2 minutes. Work area had its own light, which doubled as a power source for my computer. Work area chair was comfortable.

Breakfast on day 1 had many of the same items reappear on day 2, which made me think they were leftovers from day 1. Day 1, biscuits (no sausage gravy), diced ham and pre-formed "omelets". Day 2, diced ham and omelets again. Hmmm. On Day 1, there were 2 carafes of milk set out, whole and skim. On Day 2, only the whole milk. I managed to get the attention of the two employees yakking it up in the adjoining service room, and was informed that they couldn't get any skim milk. There's a grocery store less than a mile down the road - seemed more like laziness than lack of availability.

Poked my head into the fitness center. 2 treadmills facing a bank of mirrors, no tvs or other distractions. Floor was dirty, so I figured the treadmills were as well. Didn't use.

Nothing really to do with the motel, but my car was dinged up by a group of people that were running in and out of the motel in the evening, pulling suitcases out of the motel and into their cars. Not sure who puts a suitcase in the car at 8 p.m., but they were noisy and inconsiderate. Maybe they didn't like the Nebraska plates on the car?

Hotels/motels are way overpriced in Norman; guess that's the downside of a college town. This one was reasonably priced (by Norman standards). It had a fridge and m/w. It also has front desk people like Breanna and Mark, which is why I returned.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Mattie S, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Norman, responded to this review, 30 August 2011
We take comments as yours seriously in an effort to improve our overall quality and guest experience!

Warm regards,
405.360.0240
cx_nook@countryinns.com
El Dorado, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

All hotels in Norman are high priced, but I think this one is a good value when comparing it to the others. I had a great room with a super comfortable bed. It is very quiet, and wireless internet works well. They have an indoor pool and hot tub. Breakfast was very good. Everyone I encountered there from the front desk clerks to housekeepers to the woman taking care of the breakfast room were very friendly and made sure everything was right with my stay.

When I got there, they gave me a room that hadn't been cleaned, yet. I went back to the front desk and asked if I could wait there until it was ready. The clerk apologized and said she would find me another room. I am a Club Carlson silver member, so I asked if they had any upgrades and she upgraded me to a suite.

It is right behind Carino's and I-Hop with Red Robin next to Carino's.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Fort Collins, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2011

This hotel is in a pretty convenient spot in Norman, just off the interstate, but set back such that there isn't road noise. There are numerous restaurants within walking distance of the hotel (Carinos, Interurban, Jason's Deli). Breakfast was good, and coffee was actually decent (unlike at most hotels).

My only complaint is that the bed was exceptionally firm, which is not my preference.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Bend, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2011

Stayed here for 5 nights while visiting family in the area. The breakfast buffet is the best I've experienced. The usual, plus waffles, fruit, and different meat and eggs each morning. Also serviced by a lovely woman. The room was quite comfortable & clean. Set back from the expressway so quieter than other hotels in area. My room in the back on the ground floor faced a line of trees. Nice. Will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Very good rate by paying in advance.