“Great Hotel, Poor Restaurant”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Norman - Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Norman
Beaufort, South Carolina
“Great Hotel, Poor Restaurant”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I stayed here for four nights with a convention. The hotel itself is very pleasantly decorated and the typical Embassy Suites rooms are great. This hotel was especially suitable for our convention (500+ people) because of the number of banquet and break-out rooms. Breakfast was great and the free drinks especially welcome when meting with so many friends.

The restaurant was terrible. We waited for 90 minutes to get our dinners. It was not crowded. They didn't even bring bread until they brought our meals. I ordered rack of lamb and it was so overdone that parts of the chops were like wood. They were inedible. The polenta-type cake was luke warm and dried out. The others at my table were also very unhappy.

The banquet food was mediocre. The rolls were soft and tasteless. I do have to say that the one time they served jalapeno cornbread it was excellent. The prime rib was so over cooked that it was tough and the potatoes were cold. The brisket was excellent and very tender, but the chicken breast piece with it was too tough to eat. The Chicken Oscar was also tough and barely warm. The best meal was the vegetarian manicotti with sauteed vegetables. Again it was not very warm, but it was tasty. The vegetables were not overcooked, as others were during the convention. Service was spotty. At only one meal did my table actually receive coffee. At a breakfast, they only put out 4 coffee cups for each table of 10. When we asked for more cups, the servers did not speak enough English to understand. They kept pointing to the coffee pots.
I gave this a high rating because most travelers will not be eating restaurant and banquet food. If you are not flying in and have a car, you should travel to a restaurant outside the hotel. I include the banquet details for anyone who may be planning an event at the hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Casey K, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Norman - Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
To our valued guest,

On behalf of our entire hotel staff and myself – I would like to thank you for choosing Embassy Suites Norman Hotel & Conference Center for your recent visit to Norman! We were honored to have you staying with us. I am sorry for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. I wanted you to know that we greatly appreciate your comments. It is your feedback that helps to ensure that we are constantly improving our level of service. I hope if you find yourself in Norman again you will decided to stay with us.

Casey Kittel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Korean first
Dallas, United States
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This is a very nice hotel. We enjoyed the evening reception ( free drinks are always nice) and free breakfast. Nice accomendations and friendly staff. We stay here for games and parents weekends. This is definitely the place to stay in Norman.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Dear valued guest from Dallas,

Thank you, for taking the time to rate Embassy Suites Norman! Our Embassy Suites mission is to “Make a Difference.” I would like to personally thank you for giving myself and Embassy Suites Norman Hotel & Conference Center the chance to “Make a Difference” through serving you during your travels. I certainly liked seeing that you enjoyed our hotel. I hope we succeeded in making your stay everything you had expected during your time in Norman. We truly appreciate your comments and hope that you will keep us in mind if you ever find yourself in Norman in the future.

Lubbock, United States
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I was forced to make two reservations as I only had enough Hilton Honor points for one night and was staying two. This was no convenient. Then, during the stay, we were locked out of the room after the first night as the hotel claimed we did not reserve the room for 2 nights. After speaking with the front desk about the error and confirming we had a 2nd reservation, the hotel staff was rude and did not listen. We left the hotel and went to a Hilton Garden Inn.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

4 Thank Kaki C
To our valued guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback. We always appreciate your time and look for any opportunity to better our service. We will look forward to sharing with our team members this feedback in order to better our customer service.

Kind Regards,

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We stayed here and had a wonderful time - the service is outstanding, the room was clean and quiet, complimentary breakfast was great, happy hour had plenty of food and drinks. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Casey K, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Norman - Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
To our valued guest from OKC,

Thank you so much for your kind comments. I know you have a choice in where you stay and I would like to thank you for choosing Embassy Suites Norman Hotel & Conference Center for your recent visit to Norman! I am glad we were able to make your time here an enjoyable one. The team will be thrilled they were able to make a difference, as that is our goal. I hope we can be of service again.

Best,

Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

I came here on the recommendation of my friend.

I was immediately pleased as I entered this hotel because it was clean, fresh and the staff was very friendly.

The reception in the afternoon is a very nice gesture and the break is also awesome.

A very nice place to stay and only minutes outside of OKC.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Omar R
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We know how busy life can be and know you have a choice on where you stay. We strive to make a difference when guest come to stay with us and are glad you had such an experience.

We hope to if you find yourself in Norman again, you will be our guest again.

Best
Freedom, United States
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Everthing about my stay was excellent. Staff went above and beyond with all of the services they provided. Will stay there again when in the area. No complaints at all regarding staff or accommadations. The complimentary breakfast is delightful.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Dear valued guest from Freedom,

Springdale, Arkansas
Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

First of all, Embassy Suites is my favorite hotel chain hands down. We love staying there. And, we stayed at this very hotel exactly a year ago and were perfectly pleased. However, at our latest visit, we encountered the rudest hotel management we've ever seen. We were traveling with a large group that had booked several rooms. They had overbooked by a lot of rooms. We were told we didn't have a room, unapologetically. We argued and were given a room- but with the wrong number of beds. We made due--really it was the arrogance that was the worst part. Many in our group did not get rooms--again the hotel overbooked-their fault. The guy in charge told them they had rooms at other hotels and they should be happy with that. The hotel guests were treated like enemies. Mistakes happen and if there had been some humility and just simple kindness, the night would have been much better for all involved. During our stay we called down for a blanket and towels (the room we ended up with probably usually has less than four people. And, the blanket in the room had hair all over it.) Again, the front desk was rude and we had to make the request three times. I had read this hotel has problems with reservations. I now believe it. Call ahead to make sure you have a room!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank wps24
Casey K, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Norman - Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
To our valued guest,

Let me first extend my apologies for the reservation mishap, as this will sometimes happen at a hotel. I do recognize the great inconvenience and again extend my sincerest apologies.

I would also like to thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. We use all feedback to pin point strengths and weaknesses to help us improve guest experience.

We do hope to be able to be of assistance should you return to the area and not have your travel plans interrupted as in this recent visit.

Kind Regards,