“Avoid it like the plague” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Motel 6 Oklahoma City OK South

Motel 6 Oklahoma City OK South
Ranked #104 of 147 Hotels in Oklahoma City
Moore, Oklahoma
“Avoid it like the plague”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

I had to spend a night here after the Moore tornado this past week since I was without power. Motel 6s aren't fancy hotels; they're supposed to be clean, economical hotels. So I wasn't expecting a palace, and this isn't a nice, safe part of OKC. It's not in the absolute worst part of town, but it's not in a nice part of town. But this hotel seems to hold the upkeep standards of an establishment that rents by the hour. The pictures on the website make it look a lot better than it really is.

The woman who worked the main desk was about as friendly as a hungry grizzly bear or agitated lion. As soon as you walked in the door there was a pungent odor, reminiscent of a smell I experienced when stopping to use the restroom at the Texas Visitors Center. The hallway carpet is supposed to be blue but it had black greasy streaks all over. It looked like someone had parked a number of cars with oil leaks in the hallways at some point.

On the positive side, the room was vacuumed, the bed was made and all light switches worked. They allow pets at no additional cost. I had my own blankets and pillow with me so I slept on top of the comforter, but the bed was comfortable.

The window curtain hung off corner of the window. Since I work nights, I sleep during the day and this made it hard to darken the room. The walls are pretty thin and every time someone made a sound in the hallway it made my dogs bark, also making it harder to sleep.

The bathroom had an awful odor. And no, I don't mean the kind of odor left behind when someone uses the toilet. It had the heavy scent of some type of ethnic hair care product that I've smelled before. The shower curtain rod was nailed into two unstained wood planks; I guess it wasn't long enough to reach the wall. There were hairs and some kind of filthy spots in the bathtub, so I made sure to line the tub floor with a towel to keep my feet from making direct contact with the shower.

I checked in around 2:00 pm and checked out about 11:00 pm. The lady working the counter at checkout was much nicer than the check in worker.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. Bottom line: if you are looking for a decent economical hotel, stay at a Mo...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Overland Park, Kansas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2013

Had to stay there due to weather at home. The woman working the counter was yelling at her children, they were cussing back at her, hitting each other. There was what appeared to be a drug deal in the hall as we were going into our room, and the walls were so thin we could hear EVERYTHING going on in rooms a few doors down! I did not feel safe there with my children and all I wanted to do was take a shower when I got home! Next time, I'll weather the storm!

Room Tip: be prepared to explain a lot to your children after your stay!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Nice easy access to the freeway from this economy motel. The people were friendly and chequed us in quickly.

There was a storm that night and we were very thankful to have a clean bed to sleep in.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Harrisonburg, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

I had a car accident and ended up staying there unexpectedly for several days while waiting for my car to be repaired. The staff was very pleasant.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business