“Exceeded my expectations”

American Banjo Museum
Ranked #10 of 153 things to do in Oklahoma City
More attraction details
Owner description: A National Treasure in downtown Oklahoma City. The American Banjo Museum contains over 300 banjos on display and is the only museum of its type dedicated to preserving and promoting the music and heritage of America's native musical instrument - the banjo. An interpretive exhibit tells the evolution of the banjo from its humble roots in American slavery, to bluegrass, to folk and world music.
Reviewed 29 June 2017

Wonderful place. It was extra special for me since my late Dad's banjos are on exhibit. It is obvious that the staff is dedicated to the banjo and to this museum. Lots of restaurants nearby, parking for $3, and the spotless, attractive museum. We enjoyed it!

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"boucher"
"eras"

Reviewed 10 June 2017

Very nice museum! Interesting history of the banjo and beautiful displays. Friendly staff and great location in Bricktown OKC.

Reviewed 9 June 2017

So I don't play a musical instrument. Not even a harmonica. But when you walk down the street and see a banjo museum, you have to stop and take a look, right? I mean how often do you get the opportunity to partake in something like that?

For me, once. I mean I never even imagined such a thing existed. Now a banjo appears to be a fairly simple instrument - a lot like a guitar, for the most part - except it's like a drum on the "big" end. There isn't a lot of variation, right? Uh, wrong.

They have 400 banjos (banjii?) housed in this generally nondescript facility in Bricktown. 400. Now I cannot certify that they are all completely different, and for that reason it may not be as good as it gets, and after a while, all those banjii blend together just a bit - but it is a rather impressive display.

I mean if I had a banjo museum, I'd rent a kiosk in the mall and put up a banjo, done. But not these people. Where do you even get 400 of them that look different enough to display? I don't know, but they did. One is even gigantic, like a stand-up bass. Most of the others are behind glass displays, shining brightly. It's well worth a visit.

Reviewed 8 June 2017

Great place! Doesn't take long (unless you want it to), and fantastic pricing for families. Our group spanned the ages (16, 40 something, 52 and 79). Two were not interested AT ALL in going (16 and 40). But even they said "it was better than I thought it would be" and I know they secretly enjoyed it. If you have a banjo, or a picture, the staff there would be happy to tell you more about your piece. We were there for the Roy Clark exhibition and it was really well done and interesting. If you're looking for something to do with a group, and wanting to avoid crowds, this is the place. Very accessible to all ages.