“clean hotel in area with bad reputation”

Fairfield Inn Oklahoma City South/Crossroads Mall
Ranked #100 of 149 Hotels in Oklahoma City
Dallas, Texas
“clean hotel in area with bad reputation”
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel off of hotwire (something I seldom do). When I saw the location of the hotel, I was very hesitant to go since the crossroads area has been the site of gang wars in the past. A tip for hotwire and priceline users- area described as OKC south airport is a mixed bag of good and bad areas, some of the hotels featured are next to nightclubs and strip bars while other hotels in south OKC are just fine. You are better off picking a named hotel if you are wanting a family friendly hotel. I would consider this hotel a good choice for families as long as you don't get lost on some of the nearby side streets (sketchy area).

My husband told me how OKC had made a mission of ridding the Crossroads area of gangs and told me he thought we would be ok.
The area immediately around the hotel seemed ok. Crossroads Mall has been reopened as some type of hispanic shopping and cultural center.
The hotel itself is dated but very clean. The staff seems very friendly. I found the bed to be quiet comfortable (I like a soft mattress) and loved the soft comforter. Breakfast was just ok as some of the food was lukewarm. The surrounding area seems to be undergoing some revitalization, maybe if the neighborhood gets a better reputation, Marriott will be motivated to invest in upgrading this property. I would probably stay here again since I found the hotel to be comfortable and didn't have any any security problems.
One suggestion to the manager, the sign at the front door stating that "cameras on the premises are not for security purposes but for hotel operations only" makes your guests feel that they are in an unsafe area, I would suggest removing it.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank well-heeled580
Tyler A, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Oklahoma City South/Crossroads Mall, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
well-heeled580,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property and it sounds like you enjoyed our hotel. We make it a point every day to provide our best customer service. South Oklahoma City has gone through a renaissance in recent years and we are pleased with the changes that have already been made and excited for those that are yet to come.

We hope that you do come back and see us. We look forward to serving you again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Texas
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Well it's not all bad so I'll list a couple positives. I admit it is pretty clean overall; bed linens, floors, and bathroom were all pretty clean. Staff were quite friendly and helpful. However as others have suggested, the adjacent mall is nearly all closed down and a nearby fast food place had a sign written only in spanish, which doesn't engender confidence in the clearly questionable neighborhood. The hotel itself did not seem to have been updated in decades; the 1970s called this Fairfield and wanted their popcorn-textured ceiling back. Though the linens were clean, the bed matress itself was fairly sagging; too soft and sinking to get a good night's sleep for either of us.
No offense to the owners but even if the hotel went through a facelift, we will not likely stay here ever again unless the surrounding neighborhood went through a major transformation. It doesn't feel very safe and there are no nice restaurants or shops nearby.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hamrow
Tyler A, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Oklahoma City South/Crossroads Mall, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience about your stay. We are very sorry we did not meet your expectations. We do try to overcome our surroundings with our service and the cleanliness of our rooms. We really value your feedback so we can improve the areas that need special attention.

The Crossroads Mall is under new management and is planning a grand reopening in the near future. We are extremely excited about the new shops coming to the area and the new development thats taking place near us. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused you. We hope you give us another chance to make it up to you.

Easley, South Carolina
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Pretty typical Fairfield Inn. Really friendly staff, nice job with breakfast. You have to walk across the parking lot to the Residence Inn to use the gym, but that's no big deal. Only one restaurant within walking distance, which is a bummer. The Crossroads "Mall" exists, but as a building only. No problem recommending this hotel.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Tyler A, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Oklahoma City South/Crossroads Mall, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Thank you for staying with us!! I was sure to share your comments with our staff. We look forward to serving you again.

Tulsa
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed here for a soccer tournament. Our team only had 2 criteria - a hot breakfast and a pool. The hotel met both. The breakfast was perfect for the boys with plenty of selections. The pool was nice and big however any sound you made bounced off the walls and amplified so you can only imagine what 12 boys sounded like. We couldn't swim long. The hotel is old and dated and next door to a boarded up mall. I like a soft bed and pillows but these were so soft, worn and broken down that everyone had a sore back in the morning. Because we were in a tournament with odd game times the hotel was able to accommodate an early check-in on Saturday and a late checkout on Sunday which were greatly appreciated. The free wifi in the hotel is also an awesome perk with young boys. Now for the kicker - while staying there 4 cars were broken into over night. Three of them were with our soccer club. All of the driver's side windows were busted out and the cars riled through. It is now our understanding that this isn't a surprise to the hotel or area. The hotel did graciously comp the hotel rooms of the victims and an insurance claim was filed with the hotel but the damage was done with long drives home with no windows. If the hotel can't help the crime, they need to have better security or cameras. If you stay here, park right next to the door or across from the front door.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank PRVistor
Tyler A, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Oklahoma City South/Crossroads Mall, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
PRVistor,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are glad that you enjoyed our hot breakfast and the indoor pool.

I wish that the stay had ended differently for your group and I am truly sorry for the overnight incident. We have since changed security companies and staggered their shifts in an effort to prevent this from occurring in the future.

We hope to serve you again and show that we have improved our level of service. If I can be of any assistance in the future please feel free to contact me.

(405)634-9595
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We used Marriott points for our stay here and made last minute reservations on a long road trip without any problems. It falls in line with other Fairfields we have stayed at, but it shows signs of being dated(carpet!) There is no hot tub with the pool, but the pool was still fun for the kids. Breakfast was average and convienent.

Location is less then desirable with a huge empty mall next door. Mapquest took us right there but i'm not sure i could find it without that. The General Manager was veyr helpful with an awesome Mexican restaurant review, a mom & pop shop that was well worth the trip.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank matischer
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Admittedly, I used Marriott Reward points to stay at the hotel so I shouldn't complain. Even so, our experience may be helpful to others travelling in the area looking for 'brand name' locations to stay.
First, the hotel is not easy to find exiting the interstate. It is tucked into the corner of a shopping mall and frontage roads around the mall make it challenging to get to. When we exited interstate 35 at night, there were no signs directing us to the general location of Crossroads Mall. We got disoriented on how to find our way across another busy highway to get to the hotel. After several attempts and backtracking, we finally made it. The hotel is a typical Fairfield in design and first impressions. The drive thru to check in is a tight squeeze and the fact that a chunk of stucco from one of the drive thru pillars had been damaged by a vehicle was evidence. We quickly checked in as we were hungry and walked across the parking lot to the Texas Roadhouse. Not one of our favorite restaurants simply because they tend to be very noisy. Returning, we quickly crashed. Our king size bed was ample, however it seemed worn and not nearly as firm as we like our mattresses. Being road weary, we quickly fell asleep only to have my wife wake up from having the fitted sheet and mattress pad roll up underneath her. This kept her up half the night as it got tangled with slight movement. The sheet had lost the elasticity from repeated washings (as they're apt to do) but for some reason hadn't been retired by housekeeping. We let the front desk know and provided the sheet as evidence prior to going for breakfast. Speaking of breakfast, they do provide a 'hot breakfast', scrambled eggs, sausage along with the other standard fare, including waffle maker, etc. Their fresh fruit though didn't look all that fresh and there was only 1 sad looking banana left by the time we ate. We were told that the manager of the hotel would be getting in touch with us following our experience but more than a week has passed and we have yet to contacted to provide feedback. Maybe since we didn't actually pay for the room they feel a reply isn't warranted. I've been a loyal Marriott traveler for some time but in this case, I'd look for another hotel the next time in Oklahoma City.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Tyler A, Manager at Fairfield Inn Oklahoma City South/Crossroads Mall, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our property in regards to your recent stay. I am sorry that you did not find everything to the standards that you expect from our brand. Since seeing your review of our hotel, I have spoken each member of our staff to be sure to pass on information that our guests give us so that we may follow up on opportunities such as these. I can assure you that all of our guests and Marriott Rewards members are very valuable to us whether they pay for the room with credit card or points. I apologize again for the breakdown in communication.

I would like to get a few more details about your stay such as your room number. If you would, please email me at tyler.atchison@marriott.com so that we may address all of your concerns.

Thank you again for reviewing our property.

Washington dc
Reviewed 18 July 2013 via mobile

If you are only looking for a quiet clean room and a reasonable breakfast you will be fine here. However, for nearly the same price there are properties, even some of the same brand, with more features (fitness room, microwave, mini fridge) and in locations that don't feel as weirdly isolated as this hotel. It is important to me to find a place where I feel comfortable walking around alone but I didn't feel safe doing that at this property. I have to say the staff was very nice. However, all things considered, after doing more homework there are other options I would consider next time.

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Chase R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Oklahoma City South/Crossroads Mall, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback about your recent stay Blackjack60. I am pleased to hear that your accommodations were clean and that the staff was very nice. I love sharing guest feedback with the associates. We have recently purchased microwaves and refrigerators for almost our entire room inventory.

Chase Rollins
Fairfield Inn Oklahoma City South
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oklahoma City
Residence Inn Oklahoma City South/Crossroads Mall
Residence Inn Oklahoma City Sout...
#56 of 149 in Oklahoma City
Best Western Plus Barsana Hotel & Suites
Best Western Plus Barsana Hotel ...
#44 of 149 in Oklahoma City
Best Western Greentree Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Oklahoma City Mid - Airport Area
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Okl...
#13 of 149 in Oklahoma City
SpringHill Suites Oklahoma City Moore
Days Inn Oklahoma City/Moore
Days Inn Oklahoma City/Moore
#74 of 149 in Oklahoma City

Been to Fairfield Inn Oklahoma City South/Crossroads Mall? Share your experiences!