“Back for the Lamb Fries”

Cattlemen's Steakhouse
Ranked #6 of 1,690 Restaurants in Oklahoma City
Price range: US$0 - US$25
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Like the title says, back for the lamb fries. These are as good as they get, golden and tender. We also just like the ambience of this place, its straightforward western posture, unaffected.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

As a city slicker visiting Oklahoma City regularly I've always wanted to try this place. Finally, got there tonight, and man, I am regretting not having come before. I love a great steak and have been to Mortons, Capitol Grille, Ruth's Chris, etc. Cattleman's is easily in this league, but tops it with tremendously friendly service, well at or above the level of the other big name places. Our server, Billy Jack, was super friendly, funny, and attentive without being intrusive. We had the famous Lamb Fries as a starter - the "you know whats" of a lamb, lightly breaded and fried. The taste is a cross between calamari and sweet breads. A definite must-try and hard to stop eating once you've started. The main course steaks were all perfectly cooked - perfectly spiced - and excellent quality Prime meat. Unlike other places that for some reason, pride themselves on serving their steaks on a thermonuclear heated plate, Cattleman's does a nice plate with a baked potato, fries or veg included in the price. Not a lot of places do that these days. Great selection of wines by the glass and bottle with very reasonable prices. The pours on the bar drinks were reasonable as well.

Desserts, all made in house, are excellent, classic, and hard to resist. The cobblers - peach and blackberry are particularly good.

The interior decor is classic - cowboy themed hearkening back to the days when the place first opened, 1910.

In sum, you can certainly go to fancier steak houses in OKC - the Ranch comes to mind - but for the OKC classic experience with truly friendly, first rate service and outstanding steaks, you really owe it to yourself to go to Cattleman's. My only regret was not coming sooner.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I found this restaurant in a book called "1,000 places to see before you die" If you're in Oklahoma City do not pass this place up. It's in the Stockyard area, easy to find. The food is so good & the portions are generous. Our waitress Anna was a delight. The memorabilia on the walls was interesting to look at. This restaurant is a GEM!!!!!!

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Food fit for a President....George H. W. Bush, that is. I've eaten there several times. Popular place. Good food. Has been in business a long time.

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

I have only been in once and that was in December of 1997. I went in with my girlfriend at the time and with her 5 year old son and a newborn baby. We accidently went into the nicer side. Even though I was wearing a ball cap and was dirty and sweaty from working hard that day on the trash truck, they promptly sat us at the presidential booth. They quickly brought us our menus, took our order and brought us some wine. When they brought me my steak, they refused to leave until I cut into my steak and made sure it was cooked to absolute perfection. And that it was. They was always close by to make sure that we had everything we needed. The bill was $70 for 2 adults and one child, and that included dessert, 2 bottles of wine, and a Jack & Coke for me. Never once treating us like we could not afford it even though we did not look like we could. Everyone was so friendly and professional. Highly recommend The Cattlemen's for the best restaurant experience in OKC. And I'm from Oklahoma City.

1  Thank Bulfrog