“Beautiful building but attacked by dogs outside.”
Review of State Capitol

State Capitol
Ranked #19 of 149 things to do in Oklahoma City
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I visited the State Capitol on Wednesday, June 4, 2014. I arrived around 4:00 PM so was too late for a tour but was given a self-guided tour brochure. I thoroughly enjoyed all the beautiful art work in the building. After spending a couple of hours inside, I decided to venture outside to take photos of the grounds.

This is a WARNING!!! I was outside on the grounds around 6:00 PM. I had taken photos of the front of the building and had walked around the west side and up to the sidewalk to begin my walk in front of the north side of the building. About this time, I heard dogs barking, then spotted four dogs running in a pack. I was of course shocked and surprised to see dogs running loose on the capitol grounds. Almost immediately the dogs spotted me and immediately changed their course of direction and ran directly towards me, barking. I opted to stand completely still thinking I would be no threat to them. They surrounded me and consistently lunged at me aggressively while barking and showing their teeth. I stood still. Then suddenly, one of the dogs went behind me and bit me on the right buttock. It was at this time that I screamed. Then I began screaming as loud as I could hoping someone would hear me. I was also making loud noises at the dogs and flailing my arms to keep them away from me. I then decided to turn and run towards the exit door I had passed on the west side. I'm screaming the entire time. About the time I get to the door, I see two men (who also spotted the dogs). I told them the dogs were after me and that I had been bitten. The dogs then took off in another direction.

I was taken inside, an ambulance was called but I chose not to go by ambulance to a hospital. Instead, I asked for the location of a walk in urgent care where I was treated. Fortunately, I was able to drive myself there. I received a Tetanus shot and had the wound tended to. There was no mention of me having to get the series of rabies shots but to my knowledge, these dogs have not been captured. The traumatic ordeal I experienced and the expenses I incurred as a result of this incident is something I felt needed to be shared. There should definitely be signs posted warning people to beware of these wild dogs. I was very fortunate as at least I was able to run. A handicap person, elderly or young child might not be so lucky. BEWARE!!

2  Thank pstcrdldy
in 6 reviews
"free tour"
"capital buildings"
in 3 reviews
"senate and house chambers"
"greco roman"
"gift shop"
in 13 reviews
"worth the trip"

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stopped by late on a Friday evening. The grounds are fantastic. The state capital is absolutely huge! You kind of stand there in awe of the vastness of the Romanesque feel. If you have the time and especially if you are an Oklahoman, you need to stop by and experience this building while it is still here!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Everyone should take the time to explore the State Capitol. Amazing works of art throughout the building.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

A must see for government/ politics fanatics. The Capitol isn't as nice as the Texas Capitol is...but most things in OK aren't as nice as TX.

See more reviews
Reviewed 21 April 2014

The docent took a political rather than a historical approach in his tour. Thus, the focus was on how many people in a district, how the Supreme Court functions, and the political process of how a bill becomes a law. I like history much more and already understand the political process; so, this just was not for me. However, if you are a political junkee, this might be a five rather than a three. There are many paintings available with information regarding the piece next to each one throughout the capitol. Once again, a wonderful capitol but not the docent I enjoy when visiting capitols.