“Excellent accomodation, restaurant not so!”

The Skirvin Hilton Oklahoma City
Ranked #8 of 147 Hotels in Oklahoma City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Excellent accomodation, restaurant not so!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

This was my second time to Oklahoma City and my second time to the Skirvin Hilton. This is a wonderful hotel with a unique look. The doormen were very helpful on arrival as was the front desk staff. Check-inn was rapid and the room was spacious and well equipped. The hotel has a nice fitness facility, but why do they heat these places where people are supposed to work out? The big issue for me was the restaurant in the lobby. With snow out I decided to eat in, got dressed and went downstairs. There were empty tables in the restaurant, but no one to seat me. After 5 minutes I asked a waitress who told me that someone would be with me momentarily, that didn't happen and after another five minutes I went upstairs and ordered room service. This is a nice business model for the hotel since the very same meal now cost me 20-25% more than it would have in the restaurant. This may work for the hotel, but it doesn't work for me. So although I like the accommodations, I'll look for another hotel next time--the on-site restaurant is part of my criteria for busy business trips.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
GMSkirvin, General Manager at The Skirvin Hilton Oklahoma City, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear Dan G – I want to apologize for the poor service you received at the restaurant. I assure you this is not the level of service or product that we provide at the Skirvin Hilton. Our overall high guest satisfaction scores and feedback underscores such efforts. Please contact me directly the next time your travels bring you to OKC I would like you to experience the Park Avenue Grill for dinner.

Kindest Regards – Brett Sundstrom | General Manager | bretts@marcuscorp.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

The hotel is simply amazing, as soon as you walk into the lobby you feel the warmth. The room was spacious and the staff catered to you every need. The hotel is in the perfect location within the city, close to whatever you need. I will make sure to return on my next trip to OKC.
Thanks again

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear James L – I am glad that the Skirvin feels like your home away from home. I agree that our location is literally on the doorstep of Downtown OKC's most vibrant districts and attractions, including Chesapeake Energy Arena, Bricktown, Automobile Alley, the Business District, the Arts District, Midtown and Deep Deuce. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Kindest Regards – Brett Sundstrom | General Manager
Oklahoma City
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

First, the Hotel is beautiful from top to bottom. Our company booked our Christmas party at the Skirvin for this past Saturday night in the Venetian room on the 14th floor. The company also included 31 rooms for employees and spouses. We had approximately 75 guests. At check in, the front desk tried to tell us that our company (which reserved this information back in May) booked us in rooms with double beds. That took a long time to straighten out and get into a king bedroom with half the employees ending up with double beds anyway. The rooms were nice, but very dark. The windows were high on the wall and only came down to chest level, probably because it is an old hotel, but it felt like I was staying in my parent's basement. These things were not the main issue. The main issue was the party.

Our Event Coordinator (EC) from our company was very specific beforehand about our needs at these parties. Here is a list of what were supposed to have: An unlimited open bar, with all the top-shelf options, from 6-10; Appetizers from 6-7; Dinner from 7-8:30, and Dessert with coffee. The Skirvin asked us to declare beforehand what each guest would be having for dinner from our menu options. The options included a salad or lobster bisque. Main course was either Tenderloin & Lobster, Salmon & Scallops, or Lamb chops and Chicken. Our EC had to make laminated cards prior to the event that we would set at our table to alert the staff to what we ordered. I understand the need to do this beforehand so that the hotel could order and prepare the right amount of each dish. Well, this is what we got...

When we arrived at 6, the bar had two options: Red wine or tequila (and only limited options of what to mix with the tequila). The appetizers were in place, and people quickly started a line, but the serving platters were small and the food ran out. And stayed out for an extended period of time. We kept requesting more, and although a couple of items were replenished, we failed to get any more crab cakes or beef tenderloin back on the table EVER. Strangely, the Dessert options were already placed on our tables when we arrived at 6. More alcohol did arrive slowly and by about 7 most people had drinks. At 7:30, we were starving (because we only had cheese and crackers up to that point). The wait staff started to come around to write down our order information from our cards, and there was mass confusion. The wait staff couldn't figure out what the options were. They had to ask each of us for our orders about 6 times. One staff didn't speak English well, which didn't help. They left and we all started getting nervous. For those of getting steak, no one asked how the steaks should be cooked. Surely you can't serve everyone steak and lobster without knowing how well done they like it?

The food started arriving in waves, with salad and soup first. The lobster bisque was either room temperature, or for some, completely cold. Regardless of what the wait staff had written down, they were wondering around with plates yelling, "who ordered beef, who ordered salmon". And this is where it got really bad. The food was AWFUL. Usually I can find one nice thing to say, but this was inedible. The steak was so far past well done, you had to saw through it. My husband likes his well done, and couldn't even eat it. The lobster was so over cooked, you could not remove it from the shell even with your teeth. There was no sauce or drawn butter, there was no bread on the table ever, even though butter had been there from the start. The Salmon was served with no Scallops at all. The guests who ordered the lamb and chicken dish got either lamb or chicken, not both. The serving sizes were tiny. My rice risotto was in the shape of a hockey puck, and had the same consistency. At this point, people have been drinking on empty stomachs for two hours, the food is awful, and things are getting rowdy. Someone picks up the rice risotto cake from my plate and tossed it across the table to someone who said they were hungry and it stayed completely in tacked all the way across the ten person table and landed in one piece. Two people at the table were never served plates at all. When we went looking for food for them, we were told they were out! They had to bring some last minute lamp chops from somewhere to even feed them. The dessert which had been sitting on the table since before 6, were completely dried out when they served an after dinner coffee at 9.

When we alerted the wait staff to the multitude of problems, they just didn't respond and didn't come back. Our EC was beside herself trying to deal with the issues and no one seemed able to fix anything. To say the least, her night was ruined and she had worked so hard on organizing this party. It was a complete disaster. The one compensation they did offer was to extend the bar service a little later, which would only seem fair since we paid for it to start at 6 and it wasn't even ready or going until 7. Some guests left to order pizza or get take out and then came back later. To make matters worse, we talked to the other Christmas Party down the hall for Highland Foods, and they had the exact same experience. Their GM was livid about their experience.

I'm not sure what compensation will be offered to the company for this disaster, but whatever it is, it is not enough. In 10 years of parties with this company, we've never had an experience this bad. Sadly, we have too many guests now to go back to our favorite spot, the Mantel in Bricktown. When you pay OVER $15k for a party, you expect luxury service and food. Had this been a wedding reception, retirement party or 50 year anniversary party, the hosts would be devastated at how it turned out. The entire experience was a nightmare and we left hungry and disgruntled.

2 Thank CarpeDiem1483
GMSkirvin, General Manager at The Skirvin Hilton Oklahoma City, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear DMD1501 –
You are correct, the hotel failed to meet the needs of your company and put your EC in an awkward position. I personally met with your EC and GM this morning as the hotel made financial amends due to our poor performance. I apologize to you as well as the rest of your co-workers for ruining your company’s Christmas party.
Sincerely –
Brett Sundstrom | General Manager
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

Very nice hotel and we enjoyed our stay. The only suggestion I would have would be to update to a new sofa in the Rotunda Suite. The current sofa is very uncomfortable and made the living area not as relaxing as I had hoped for.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your feedback. I apologize that the sofa was not relaxing to sit on. I will have my Engineering team look into this.

Kindest Regards -
Brett Sundstrom | General Manager
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

Excellent service and facilities, people very attentive, great location, only downside was having to pay for wireless internet access. Christmas lights switch on evenning was a fantatisc experience with free wine, nibbles and entertainment.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

MDGGRS, General Manager at The Skirvin Hilton Oklahoma City, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear Peter S – I am so excited that you were able to join us for our Lighting Ceremony the newest Skirvin Tradition. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Kindest Regards – Brett Sundstrom
Ocean Pines, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

This is a nice hotel, most of the staff is very good. The bar is excellent - but we were treated very rudely at the restaurant when we tried to go to dinner. There are lots of other places to stay that won't treat you like dirt if you try to have dinner on a busy evening.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear JDavid69 – I want to apologize for the horrible dining experience you were provided during your recent stay. I assure you this is not the level of service or product that we provide at the Skirvin Hilton. Our overall high guest satisfaction scores and feedback underscores such efforts. I would welcome an opportunity to speak with you directly to provide me with some additional insight. This would allow me to develop the appropriate corrective action. I will share your feedback with our team in the meantime. I look forward to hearing from you.

Brett Sundstrom | General Manager| 405-702-8501 or bretts@marcuscorp.com
GUTHRIE
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

We stayed two nights at the Skirvin and I must admit it was one one of the poorest experiences we have had in a supposedly upscale hotel. A lot of staff was stuck there because of a snow storm and there service reflected it. Rooms were nice and the history of the hotel is amazing and that is the only good points. Hotel was almost empty so you think when we asked for a room with a nice view it would be simple-NOT, we looked at a wall. The food and room service were both terrible. We are from the area and I assure you we will not be recommending this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay at the Colcord !!!