“I expected more from the Skirvin”

The Skirvin Hilton Oklahoma City
Ranked #9 of 151 Hotels in Oklahoma City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 23 July 2014

The Skirvin is a beautifully restored landmark, but the beauty ends there. When checking in, the young lady at the front desk greeted me warmly. I informed her that I had a reservation which I made online. I had reserved one of the rooms that had been blocked for our state teachers' conference at a considerable discount. Upon discovering that I was a teacher, the young lady's demeanor changed instantly. She became haughty in her tone and seemingly disdainful. She seemed put out when I asked questions about the hotel and parking. I do realize that most people staying at a $200+ per night hotel are not doing so on an Oklahoma teacher's salary, but all guests should be treated with polite courtesy. I stayed in a room with two full size beds. The most unconformable bed of any hotel in which I have ever stayed. I got about 1 hour of tortured sleep and awoke with a clenching lower back. I have slept in higher quality queen sized beds in hotel rooms that were $49 per night and just as clean. This hotel is all show and blow for those of us who are not quite at their preferred station in life. I did however interact with a young man working the front desk that was very nice. The positive aspect of the stay was the downtown location being only 2 blocks from my conference site.

2  Thank Stephen G
There are newer reviews for The Skirvin Hilton Oklahoma City

Reviewed 21 July 2014

The Skirvin Hotel has been restored beautifully by the Hilton Hotels and is a wonderful place to spend a weekend! The staff was consistently pleasant and helpful---I don't think you can work there unless you are nice.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank Susan L. B
Reviewed 20 July 2014

A 50th anniversary celebration brought our family together for a wonderful weekend at this historic hotel in the heart of Oklahoma City. Our room was comfortable and nicely appointed. The hotel, opened in 1911, was essentially abandoned from the mid-1980s until its restoration. The restored facilities are warm, well maintained and most comfortable. The staff are equally welcoming and attentive, including those who help park and retrieve cars and those who serve great meals. Our dinner (served in a lovely area on the 14th floor) was wonderful (including some Oklahoma beef) and the service was extremely professional .... even in the midst of family members who gave numerous toasts to our honored family members. All in all, a very fine experience. (A note about the location: it is within easy walking distance to the memorial to those innocent souls who perished in April 1995 when a domestic terrorist bombed the Federal building in Oklahoma City. The memorial is a sober tribute to those who perished and to those who survived the horrific attack.)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This is a gorgeous, restored hotel in downtown Oklahoma City. She sat empty for years but has been restored to her former glory. The lobby is impressive with marble and sweeping red velvet drapes. Great bar there called The Red Piano. Extensive martini menu and good eats. Try the French fries with truffle oil. Yum!

The rooms have everything you need. They are well-appointed with comfortable beds with lovely bedding. Don't expect much from the pool but it's a downtown, historic property. At least they have one!

The property is in a good location to area businesses and Brick Town. If I had the choice to stay anywhere in the city, I would stay here!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
GMSkirvin, General Manager at The Skirvin Hilton Oklahoma City, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear diannedavis - We always appreciate the reviews of Top Contributors during their travels. The Skirvin Hilton, she is a Grand Dame indeed with an incredible 102 year history in the center of it all in OKC. Thank you for your patronage and recognition. We really appreciate you taking the time to review us.

Kindest Regards – Brett Sundstrom |General Manager

Reviewed 17 July 2014

This is a neat old hotel in the middle of downtown. The staff was very courteous, knowledgeable, and helpful. The rooms were well appointed and clean. For such an old hotel, everything was very trendy and in great shape. I would not hesitate to recommend it to others. It was also very walkable to the Myriad Gardens, Bricktown, and the Oklahoma National Memorial.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Tony B - We always appreciate the reviews of Senior Contributors during their travels. Thank you for your patronage and recognition. We really appreciate you taking the time to review us. Our staff is the best in Oklahoma and truly distinguishes us from our competition.

Kindest Regards – Brett Sundstrom |General Manager

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Beautiful and grand old hotel with great historical value but not a good place for resting. My kids and I enjoyed the workout room and pool but our room left many things to be desired. The double room only has full and not queen size beds. The walls allow you to here people next door talking all night. The water pressure in the shower isn't really sufficient. The walking distance to Bricktown is tolerable. Service is great and the staff are very friendly, especially the guys at vallet.

• Stayed: July 2014
GMSkirvin, General Manager at The Skirvin Hilton Oklahoma City, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Corey B - I sincerely appreciate your feedback and apologize for any inconvenience related to noise. Although we receive minimal noise related feedback, the hotel has a thorough low-tolerance policy related to noise complaints created by other guests. I wish we would have known about your noise issue and I assure you our reaction would have been swift. Every effort is made to ensure a comfortable surrounding is provided at all times. Our overall high guest satisfaction scores and feedback underscores such efforts. I apologize that we did not achieve this in your isolated case.

Kindest Regards – Brett Sundstrom | General Manager

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed in this incredible hotel for less than 100 dollars a night! beautiful architecture, a complimentary limo, great staff. They even brought us our own mini fridge up to the room! Will definitely be back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
GMSkirvin, General Manager at The Skirvin Hilton Oklahoma City, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Allan L – Thank you for your service to our country. I am pleased that you had an outstanding Skirvin experience during your recent stay. I am delighted to say that for the last 102 years the Skirvin has kept its ambiance of elegance and am convinced it will do so for many more years to come. I appreciate your feedback and have shared it with our entire team. Thank you for taking time to review us and for your patronage.
Kindest regards,