“Terrible management, dirty”

Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Shawnee
Dallas, Texas
“Terrible management, dirty”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Very dirty. Rude staff including Manager. When we asked to change room the manager said she would come by and personally check it - after an hour I went to the front desk and the manager was standing outside smoking. We ended up leaving and going to the Hampton Inn.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Terri C
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Shawnee I-40, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Dear Terri C,

Ben J
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Kansas
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I travel weekly for business with the IHG brand hotels. I was more than disappointed from the stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Shawnee, Ok. Upon check in the clerk picked up the phone to call a peer to inquire about resetting a TV station while I and another guest waited for at least 10 minutes. Just as I thought the call would end she proceeded to ask another question related to instructions she needed on the computer. After another handful of minutes, she looked up at me and finally spoke to me for the first time and said, " I'll be with you in a minute". Her coworker must have realized that a guest was waiting because she advised her to put the call on hold. There was no greeting, no apology just "What did you need"? I proceeded with check in and discovered that my rate was incorrect. After showing my military ID she mumbled something and demanded that I sign the check in paper. I protested since the room rate was incorrect but she assured me she would change the rate. I signed the paper so I hope she followed through on her end.

I can't say that I felt a lot of time had gone into cleaning the hotel. There were nasty slimy spots on the walls of my room, the entry and elevators didn't look like they had been cleaned in ages. Maybe it was a rough day?

A little customer service training could go a long way. As a guest I have other options where I stay, including traveling into OKC where I am sure I can find a comfortable, clean room and not feel that I am a burden to hotel staff. Since I am doing business in Shawnee I wanted to stay in Shawnee to support the local economy, I'll likely try this location another time and hope things are improved on my next stay. If not, I'll pursue other options.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Shawnee I-40, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
Dear Michelle B,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Karen C
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Shawnee hotels

The West
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I travel with my job and stay for extended periods of time. This Holiday Inn Express is ran by very courteous employees and managers. The facility was always clean and room service was top notch. The beds were very comfortable and the rooms are much bigger than many places I stay. The air and heat is controlled by a thermostat on the wall which is nice. I can see where some are confused because the until that blows the heat and air has controls but the unit clearly states that controls are on the wall thermostat. They is a flat screen tv and a desk and a small table and 2 chairs as well as a sleeper sofa. The shower spray is awesome. Lots of water and the water is soft. Great show with marble countertop. Microwave and refrigerator in room as well as a coffee maker and cabinetry with another marble top for making coffee and keeping ice and storage for groceries or other things. The breakfast is the best of anywhere I have stayed lately. Scrambled eggs or omelets depending on the day. Bacon or sausage and ham also depending on the day. Bisquits and gravy and fresh cinnamon rolls or muffins. Really good coffee and 4 choices of juices. Yogurt, pancakes (not the waffle machines you see in other hotels), bagels and various breads and cereals. Much better than the typical continental breakfast at other places. Work out room and outdoor pool. Right off I-40 and close to lots of restaurants and shopping etc. Will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: I stayed on the second floor. Very nice.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stay in Shawnee frequently, but this was our first Holiday Inn Express stay. Short version...we'll stay there again, but we would expect the mechanical issues to be solved.

A quick rundown of pros and cons goes like this:

Pros
1. The build out is nice. It has walnut paneling, granite countertops...the place just looks nice.
2. The staff was very courteous, professional, and attentive. You got the feeling they understood how to interact with people besides truck drivers.
3. The continental breakfast was good.
4. The smoking sections are on the top floors, so the rest of the hotel doesn't smell like smoke...and they don't put you in a "non-smoking" room that smells like an ashtray.
5. The price is in line with what we've paid at Hampton or Comfort or La Quinta...and it was at least as good an experience.
6. Location...you can walk across the parking lot to Wal-Mart and a couple of restaurants.

Cons
1. The shower drained more slowly than it filled. Not a horrible problem, but a little irritating.
2. The a/c unit worked well, but the controls were stuck. Luckily it was 106 outside, so "full cold" was OK. Had it been a more normal day, we'd have had a problem.
3. The elevator is poor, slow, and poorly maintained. Again, not a major problem, unless you're on the 3rd floor and don't want to walk the stairs.

Overall, it's a nice, clean setting that needs much better mechanical maintenance.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Bison88
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Staff was courteous and helpful however needs some leadership support.Facility run down and in need of maintenance. Halls haven't been cleaned or vacuumed in a while. My room was clean and comfortable but halls and rest other areas in desperate need of cleaning. Pool area was a disgrace. Tables were broken umbrellas were torn and disfunctional. Dead bugs and cigarette butts every where. Hotel in desperate need of management change

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank lynngr
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Shawnee I-40, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Dear lynngr,

Thank you for your feedback. We welcome feedback as it assists us in our never-ending task to better ourselves and improve things for our guests.

I am pleased to note that you found our staff to be courteous and helpful. However, I am truly sorry for the inconvenience you have encountered during your stay. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the dissatisfaction you had with our level of cleanliness and regret your poor experience in our pool area.

Thank you for alerting us and bringing these unsatisfactory circumstances to our attention. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Dhan M
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 17 June 2013

...but other than that no great experience. The rooms are clean and I like the fact they are suites. But the walls are paper thin and there is just no privacy. When the snoring of the people in the room next door keeps you awake, you know they skimped on insulation! The bed is average, not really comfortable, but not torture either. Breakfast is average, nothing to write home about but ok. Overall an average sort of place to stay the night.

Room Tip: Upper floor on the back will be quietest
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank BisoninLondon
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Shawnee I-40, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Dear BisoninLondon,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing our hotel. It is nice that you noticed the cleanliness of the room. I certainly apologize for the inconveniences you experienced over the thin walls. I assure you that every comment, no matter how small, is taken very seriously. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is. I sincerely hope that the next time you are in Shawnee you will give our hotel another try.

Karen G.
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 5 May 2013

Absolutely beautiful room, clean, spacious, even smells like a brand new room. Great bed. No ambient noise. Flat screen TV needs to be a bit larger for the size of the room. Lots of space to store belongings, lots of work space.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Tony L
Hannah A, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Shawnee I-40, responded to this review, 9 May 2013
Hey, Tony L!

Thank you so much for your excellent response in regards to our hotel. We thrive on positive feedback about our hotel!

We take pride in our sleeping rooms and that is why we have our prices set at a certain rate. Not only do we take pride in our sleeping rooms, we are priced at a point to stay competitive with our market.

Regardless of the rate, we are delighted that you have chosen to spend your nights with us and we encourage and hope to see you again in the near future. Thank you so much for you business!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shawnee
Comfort Inn & Suites Shawnee
Super 8 Shawnee
Super 8 Shawnee
#5 of 9 in Shawnee
Best Western Seminole Inn & Suites

Been to Holiday Inn Express Shawnee I-40? Share your experiences!