“Old motel and not really impressive”
Review of Desert Hills Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tulsa
Desert Hills Motel
Ranked #72 of 108 Hotels in Tulsa
Port Jefferson, New York
“Old motel and not really impressive”
Reviewed 23 November 2010

Desert Hills Motel is along historic route 66 and located 4.5 miles from downtown Tulsa.
The motel is operated by an Indian family. The neon desert sign, some paintings, and the structure of the
building bring memories from the 60's. But that's all. The rooms although clean,
they are old and with zero noise insulation. You can hear everything and this is disgusting!
Although the area looks safe (I walked twice from downtown at midnight),
besides a very good diner, there is nothing interesting closeby except car dealers. The motel is cheap,
I paid $45 including tax, however it still cannot compete the "brand names" in the area which
have a very similar price. Wireless internet is free but my computer was affected by spyware.
I am not sure if that was my fault or the hotels but be aware. No breakfast available but try the diner I
mentioned before which is superior. A cab to cherry street costs $12.
In conclusion, I stayed there because I booked late and nothing was
available downtown. If I had the choice again I would either stay downtown or
try the brand names close to the airport.

Stayed November 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
cupcake27
Reviewed 13 January 2010

This motel was okay, no frills, just your basic rest your head motel. It was clean, and smelled good. I was a little worried about the area knowing that 11th street is known for its suspicious activity, but the only thing I saw was at midnight the night we arrived and that was up the road a bit. Other than that it was a quiet area, and nothing really happened while we were there. Although that may have been due to the blizzard we got. I can not complain, the staff was nice and helpful, and our room was freshly cleaned every time we left. The only issue I had was that there wasnt an outlet in the bathroom for my blowdryer and hair straightner, but there was one in the closet. The floor in the bathroom could of used some help, but like I said, if you just want a cheap and basic place to rest your head then this is a good motel, and the beds were very comfortable. Oh, and the restaraunt up the street was awsome.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank cupcake27
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2009

stayed here in August as part of our 66 trip. Room ok and in keeping with the 66 no frills whatsoever,, but it was the only place on the entire 3500 miles that we did,( including Vegas and some side trips), when we felt very uncomfortable about our surroundings. I am a 50 year old woman and was standing on the pavement outside the reception area when 3 separate cars tooted their horn at me and another driver stopped next to me and beckoned me over. My husband and I and our 14 year old quickly went to the nearest Walmart before it got dark, got some food and literally barricaded ourselves in the room for the night. Was I glad to see morning. We won't be staying here again.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank cfamily99

Travellers are raving about these Tulsa hotels

Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 12 October 2009

The neon cactus sign sets a cool retro mood & warm bathroom floors certainly contribute to guests feeling comfy:D
P.S. When we were leaving the receptionist gave us with a "I've done my laundry at the Desert Hills Motel in Tulsa"-pillow slip with ROUTE 66 sign on it (probably because he noticed i was taking pictures of every Route 66 sign i've spotted in the motel :D )

Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AlenaRom
Renfrew, Canada
Reviewed 12 May 2009

This original Route 66 motel was built in 1953. Going into the motel was like a step back in time. The rooms were clean but dated. Fridge, microwave and WIFI that actually worked. A diner down the street named Tally's Cafe came from the same area serving good food. The area was somewhat seedy but then again no worse than any other large city.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cleoder
Ontario
Reviewed 11 May 2009

With our GPS, we easily found this motel. What a hoot! We were excited about staying there. Yes, it dated back to the early 50s, but you have to love this place - the neon lights, billboard, etc. It had a fridge, even had WIFI. What more could I ask for when paying $35.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Patches01033
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 2 April 2009

This is a very basic motel. The rooms have no amenities (coffee maker, hair dryer) except for an unplugged refrigerator and TV. However, the beds are very comfortable, the shower is fine, and the aircon/heater works well (but is noisy). Also, the wall are thin, which could be a potential problem. For under $50, it's a good budget option.

It is a classic, old style motel, right on Route 66. You are a five minute walk from Talley's Cafe, a great old style place for breakfast. The Cherry Street Market, with great bars, cafes, and restaurants. is a five minute drive. Downtown Tulsa is a 10 minute drive (and except for the expensive hotels, it is dead and night). The airport is about a 15 minute drive.

I found this a good, cheap base for seeing Tulsa. There is nothing to walk to near the motel, but there are a huge number of restaurants and stores (Western Sizzlin', Golden Corral, Wallmarts, Mexican and Chinese restaurants, etc) within a 15 minute drive. It's also close to the university and stadium.

Jenks and the riverwalk are about a 30 minute drive. I found it to be a convenient budget choice.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple