“Perfect Stay”

Ranked #16 of 108 Hotels in Tulsa
Ramona, California
“Perfect Stay”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

So I have travelled to many places in the world and in our country, stayed in cheap hotels and high end hotels but never have I been in a historic hotel that came with such beautiful rooms and staff that deserve more than the available 5 stars. Free local shuttle service and to and from the airport.
I can only say that the rooms are amazing! This hotel is close to downtown restaurants and night time fun.

Room Tip: I stayed in a suite with king size bed. Was in the corner of building so had great views. Living roo...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Thetraveller14fun

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Lee's Summit, Missouri
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We recently spent two nights at the Mayo. It was our first visit to Tulsa, a reunion with friends we had not spent time with for 25 years.

Our rooms were spacious, very clean, and well decorated and appointed. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The hotel lobby is a very large, elegant, and impressive space; though the furnishings could be more comfortable.

We had a very good dinner and breakfast in the hotel restaurant, Trulo. The hotel bar is adequate, though very small and loud when full. An adjacent coffee shop is excellent.

I am rating the hotel excellent, even with my small concerns about the lobby and bar because it's other strengths are so great that rating it 4 would be a serious under-rating.

We found Tulsa to be a great place to visit for a few days. We decided to visit because of the city's outstanding collection of Art Deco buildings. They did not disappoint. We also enjoyed the Woody Guthrie a Museum, an outstanding interactive museum. We enjoyed the city's offering of good restaurants as well. Probably most impressive was the friendliness and helpfulness of everyone we met. It was way beyond our expectations.

Room Tip: Ask fora corner room. They are much larger and have additional furniture.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Fred G
Lukas V, Front Office Manager at The Mayo Hotel, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Dear Fred G,

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your time in Tulsa, and that we could be part of your positive experience. Tulsa indeed has many things to offer, and I am very happy that you ventured out and experienced so many of them.

Thank you for acknowledging the greatness of our building and I truly hope that we will see you again.

Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2014

This beautiful art deco hotel was everything we had hoped! Wonderful door staff and reception staff. We were given a complimentary upgrade and so had a lovely suite with small kitchen and separate sitting room. Very clean and modern. The only negative was that the downstairs bar didn't seem to have adequate staff for the guests AND the evening visitors. Highly recommended and I think the very best hotel in Tulsa!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Emmalulu1968
Dear Emmalulu1968,

I am thrilled to know that we managed to fulfill your expectations. Everyone here at The Mayo always strives to be the best, and validations such as yours motivate us to keep it up and improve every day.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and if England gets too rainy and cold- come see us again:)

Yours,

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I stay at the Mayo several times a month and will say that the staff and amenities get 5 stars. The valet service makes you feel welcome and special, the front desk staff (Kaylee, Nichole) are amazing. The rooms are high class and comfortable.
I would "and do" recommend this hotel to everyone that comes to Tulsa.
Thanks for making me feel at home when I am away from home.
TD

Room Tip: The upgraded rooms are furnished with kitchens.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank T D
Dear TD,

Thank you so much for taking time to share your experience here on TripAdvisor. It is truly great to hear that you enjoy our hotel so much, and we will continue to do our best to impress you in the future.

I look forward to seeing you again,

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I had an excellent stay at the Mayo. Despite what I've read in other reviews, I thought the hotel staff was exceptional. From the sweet woman who checked us in, all the way to the helpful valet, everyone was more than willing to help myself and my husband with anything we needed. The lobby is gorgeous, the rooms are spotless, and the wifi works awesome! The hotel is located right in the heart of downtown Tulsa so there are tons of restaurants, bars, shops, and just cool buildings within walking distance. I had a great time staying here and totally recommend it.

Best part of our stay: Definitely the wonderful staff. Kaleigh at the front desk was incredible.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are quiet and seem bigger
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Shannon K
Case T, Front Office Manager at The Mayo Hotel, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
Shannon,
Your incredibly kind words where such an honor for our entire staff to read. Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your stay with us. It’s a pleasure to hear that our team wowed you during your stay; that is what we strive for with all of our guests. It’s amazing to watch people’s faces brighten as they enter the Grand Hall for their first time. There’s truly nothing else like The Mayo in all of Tulsa. As you mentioned, downtown is really becoming a hot spot once again. Guests have many choices of places to shop, dine, or grab a drink. We offer a fantastic restaurant to anyone that would like to try its exceptional food, and our rooftop bar has an incredible view of Tulsa to take in while having a drink. If our guests do decide that they would like to venture out we offer complimentary shuttle service in our Cadillac Escalade to anywhere within four miles of the hotel or to the airport. Kaleigh is truly an asset to us, and I love to see a guest take the time to praise her for all she does. I truly appreciate you for recommending us, and on behalf of the entire Mayo staff, Thank You.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 23 March 2014

having traveled a lot i was not expecting the Mayo in Tulsa. A great restoration on an art deco building in downtown. The lobby & staff were great on check in. The corner room had nice views and was large, spotless, and well equipped for business travelers. wifi worked good. I would recommend this to anyone in the tulsa area.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank mrsoul
Case T, Front Office Manager at The Mayo Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
We appreciate you taking time to let us know how much you enjoyed The Mayo. Our employees always work diligently to serve and help our guests in order to make their experience a memorable one whether they are here on business, for an event, or a special occasion. I hope you choose to stay with us again if your travels ever bring you back to Tulsa, and thanks for making it The Mayo.
Wagoner, Oklahoma
Reviewed 23 February 2014

My wife and I enjoy taking "mini vacations" from time to time which usually just means staying in a hotel in Tulsa (45 minutes from home) and having dinner at a nice restaurant. We were in town for the Scentsy Spring Sprint so we decided to make it a Valentine's Day thing and we stayed at the Mayo that evening. We had stayed at the Colcord in OKC before and really enjoyed it and I had heard the Mayo was under the same umbrella so we gave it a try.

The check in process was a little clumsy. Nobody offered to take our bags or anything which I found odd since I've had that service offered at hotels I paid less for in the past. Overall we just weren't really impressed with the level of professionalism with the staff at the Mayo. We paid $20 for valet parking and every time we wanted to use it we felt as if we were inconveniencing someone. The staff were definitely the weakest part of the chain.

The room was fairly nice, bed was firm but not uncomfortable, and the amenities were fairly standard. One of the things I was looking forward to most was the "walk in shower" the website boasts about so much which turned out to not be quite as nice as I'd hoped. It was fairly narrow and the shower head they had didn't seem to work the way it was supposed to.

At the end of the day I think we would have been just as happy spending half as much at a Holiday Inn Express for more or less the same experience. I've stayed at a number of "boutique" hotels in Oklahoma and the Mayo was by far my least favorite.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Quentin A
Case T, Front Office Manager at The Mayo Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your trip to Tulsa, and taking time to leave your feedback. I am disappointed to hear that your check-in experience did not go as smoothly as anticipated, and I wanted to assure you that this is not typical of The Mayo. I agree, all of our guests should always be offered assistance with their luggage whether they are arriving or departing from The Mayo. I also take full responsibility for this, as this is my direct department and team, and I am personally looking into what occurred. I will be taking the proper steps to ensure that our future guests do not have similar experiences. If possible I would like to look into what room you stayed in to see if there is an issue with the shower head. I invite you to contact me directly to speak with you more about you experience, and see if there is anything we can do to encourage you to reconsider giving us another try next time your travels bring you to Tulsa.