“Grand Art Deco Tulsa Hotel”
Review of The Mayo Hotel

The Mayo Hotel
Ranked #16 of 108 Hotels in Tulsa
Dallas, Texas
“Grand Art Deco Tulsa Hotel”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I recommend the Mayo Hotel. This was our fifth stay. When the hotel opened in 1925, Tulsa was a booming oil time, with a thriving downtown. If you had money, you lived in an elegant hotel. The rooms - most of which are suites - reflect the original purpose. In fact, the upper floors are occupied by young downtown loving types. When the hotel was redone recently, the hotel was restored to its original Art Deco splendor, and no expense was spared. The rooms have hard wood floors as well as carpet. The refrigerators are GE Monogram stainless steel. The coffee makers Cuisine Art. Our bottom of the line room - 550 square feet - had two double beds and an 48" TV/monitor. I hooked up my Nexus tablet to the TV with an HDMI cord and we enjoyed Netflix while eating popcorn made in the microwave. The hotel is very well maintained, everything immaculate. You get a free Wall Street Journal and room service includes alcohol. The breakfast included home made oatmeal and good eggs and fruits. The hotel is located in the Blue Dome entertainment district. We took advantage of the great bars and restaurants in that area rather than having lunch or dinner at the hotel restaurant or visiting the 16th floor bar. I realize from the comments left that those facilities may have problems. The free wireless wi-fi worked well, and no need to "accept the conditions". The wired wi-fi on the desk uploaded at 22 meg, 10 times my speed at home. Our hotel was only $166/night, which I consider a true bargain for a top-of-the-line experience.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Lukas V, Front Office Manager at The Mayo Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Mr. Aldrige,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience here on Tripadvisor. Your attention to detail is very impressive.

I am so happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and your kind words are a true inspiration to me and my staff. We value the fact that you keep coming back tremendously, and we will do our best to continue to impress you and your family.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to me regarding future arrangements or special requests.

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I found the service at the hotel was not up to my expectations for a full service hotel of the Mayo's reputation.

Examples:
The valet parked the car but no one offered to help us take luggage to the room or opened the doors for us when we first entered.
The hotel felt understaffed.
In the restaurant I ordered a five dollar bowl of cereal. It came to me in a box.
Everyone raved about the roof top bar. But it was closed for our entire three day stay. And we couldn't even get up there to see the view.

Then there was the amenities.
Despite having a large suite, there was only a shower and no tub.
The AC was so loud in our bedroom that when it was on we couldn't really watch TV. We'd turn it up really loud but it wasn't the same.
No rollaway beds available for my kids

And the following really brought back my days from college. Only my University would have taken it more seriously:
Our floor was full of people that did not dress or act like they were paying the same rate for the room as we were. The hall was so thick with marijuana smoke that it flooded our room and set my son's allergies off. When I called to complain the front desk's first reaction was to move us to another floor - at 12:30 in the morning! They eventually came around and apologized
*to* the people making such a stink and told them to put towels in front of their doors (the hotel is non-smoking, ironically).

Not family friendly. Under staffed. Not suitable for high end expectations. The room was nice, the hotel was pretty. But it's really not setup to handle the customers it's marketed for.

Room Tip: Check if rooms near yours smell like pot.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Manos773
Lukas V, Front Office Manager at The Mayo Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Manos773,

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to continually exceed our customer’s expectations and feedback such as yours allows The Mayo to continue to improve.

On our website, it is stated very clearly that our rooftop bar is only opened on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays and at some times is closed for private events. I realize you were staying at the hotel on evenings when the rooftop bar is not open, and I am sorry you missed the magic of it. In addition, The Penthouse Rooftop Bar is not legally allowed to permit entry to anyone under the age of 21. The rooftop bar is a part of the hotel that is not meant to be family friendly.

Suites with tubs are available in our hotel; however you booked a room with showers and body sprays, instead. Each of our room descriptions online describes the amenities for each different room type. In addition, our confirmation letters list out the room amenities based on the room type at time of booking.

We do not offer rollaway beds at The Mayo and do not advertise this as an amenity. All the suites in the hotel have pull-out sofa beds in the living rooms, which are a great option for those traveling with children.

Although we are a non-smoking hotel, we cannot predict what our guests will do once they check into their rooms. We do, however, have procedures set in place for when hotel policies are broken by hotel guests, and these procedures were followed in order to try to resolve the issues as quickly as possible. It is just unfortunate that by the time the issue was resolved, it had already ruined your experience.

I am very disappointed that you were not able to have a Mayo Experience that you deserve and so many of our guests are able to enjoy. We hope that you will give us another chance in the future.

Fort Smith, Arkansas
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Let me begin by saying that the room was well above average and it was very comfortable. Unfortunately that's the best I can say about this hotel. The check-in process was average at best, as was the restaurant/bar, Trula. While we didn't have bad service at Trula, it was much less than I would've expected from this caliber of hotel. The food at this restaurant was fairly good.

The worst part of our stay involved the rooftop bar. Our group selected this hotel at least partially based on the option of being able to enjoy a rooftop bar at the same location. We considered ourselves very fortunate to have immediately found seating for our group but as it turned out, that would be the best part of our night. There was no service to the outside patio and customers are required to go inside and stand in line at the bar. There were only 2 bartenders working, and the lines were long. Two Mojito's, one Long Island Tea, and a hard cider will set you back $46. The Mojito's were not drinkable, and the LIT barely drinkable. I wouldn't have minded the expense of the drinks if they were at least tolerable and served to us outside. An epic fail for what should be fairly simple. Our group of 10 or so ended up leaving and going elsewhere. I was shocked to see the earlier response that they have recently employed a new food and beverage person. My question is, when do they start?

Based on this, at least for now and in the near future, I would advise you skip the Mayo and try somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Dr_C68
Lukas V, Front Office Manager at The Mayo Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Dr_C68,

Thank you for sharing your opinion with us. Please know that it is very valuable, and it gives us a great insight. I am glad you enjoyed the room, however it is disappointing to read that your experience was affected by some of the issues that you raised.

Our new Penthouse manager is doing everything he can to transform the rooftop into a top notch place. Like with everything in life, it takes some time for him to model it to his ideal image, but I can assure you that the upgrades to our rooftop bar will be well worth the wait.

I would love to welcome you in The Mayo again so you can experience the new improved Penthouse and have a full Mayo experience. Please do not hesitate to contact me at 918-895-8406 if you would like to make arrangements.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Dont get stuck at The Mayo…
I gave the hotel two stars only because the rooms are nice, beds are comfortable and the showers are decent.
I gave the hotel only two stars because, being someone who travels every month for work, this hotel had literally the worst customer service i ever had, not to mention the food made me sick every night, such low quality disguised as high end, soon as you take one bite its obvious they are not fooling anybody.
it started with the check in, we were given no information about the hotel, warned about the construction that was going on outside, the weird restaurant hours or any of the amenities. when we asked what was a good place to have a drink, watch the game or have a casual meal, the answers everyone in our group got was the same; "no, there's really nothing" we wound up having to discover the neighborhood ourselves and asking locals we were working with.
turns out there are tons of great places a block or so away. i recommend going to the bagel/deli a block away for the morning breakfast and an organic mexican restaurant on boston st.
so the first night we got it, we were tired so went to the restaurant in the hotel about 9pm, ten of us having a business dinner. after ordering everyone's food came out in about 20 minutes, except mine! and i ordered the same thing two other people did, she said mine was coming. ten minutes went by, we asked again, its coming she said! btw, it was just pasta. 20 minutes later mine came, everyone was done with their food and mine finally came out, no apology what so ever. it was watery ravioli. really bad, made from frozen raviolis obviously. then i asked to see the desert menu and she said kitchen's closed and kept walking. i was shocked. she walked back by real fast we said miss, miss, can we please order desert, just a simple cake? she said sorry, kitchen is closed, its locked and there are cameras in there so i cant go in and get the cake, the kitchen closed at 10…it was 10:05. i said you have got to be kidding right? you dont warn us that the kitchen is closing so if we want desert we better put in our orders? she just rolled her eyes and i said i dont make the rules. she literally cost the restaurant 100 dollars, since ten of us wanted desert. The last night there we came in at 9:30, ordered a beer, made sure it was before 10 before we ordered and she said, nope, too late, cant do it…again costing the restaurant hundreds of dollars. i can go on a lot further, those were only the major situations. throughout the hotel staff, with the exception for the guys that opens the door for you we were just treated so poorly.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank lotsoftravel123
Dear lotsoftravel123,

I am sorry to read about the problems that you have encountered during your stay. Please know that customer service is our number one priority, and we immediately addressed all the issues that you have brought up.

Unfortunately, things that should never go wrong sometimes do, and we always do our best to resolve the situation promptly. With that being said, some of your problematic meals were paid for by the hotel, and I am sorry to read that it did not make up for your bad experience.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you would like to give us another chance. I will make sure everything goes well with your future stay.

Columbia MO
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Impressed with hotel decor and rooms are large and 4-star. No tubs in rooms however. Had poor experience in hotel restaurant due to very low staff levels and Clueless Bartenders . Note to hotel owner...your bar is #1 profit center , manage as such.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ptcsr
Lukas V, Front Office Manager at The Mayo Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear ptcsr,

Thank you so much for your opinion. I am glad to hear that you were impressed with our hotel.

I apologize for the poor service that you received in our bar and restaurant. I realize that our bars and restaurant need to match the greatness of the rooms and the service that our guests receive in the hotel, or it will affect their general experience in a negative way.

Therefore, just this last week, we hired 2 new experienced managers to run our food and beverage operations, and this part of our hotel is being dramatically transformed as we speak.

Please do not hesitate to contact me at 918-895-8406 if you are in the area again. I would love to meet and make sure that your next stay is a full positive Mayo experience.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We live in Tulsa and this was our first time to stay at the newly renovated hotel. We had a really memoriable night and the Mayo lived up to all of our expections. The roof top bar is a great watering hole. Really beautiful view of the city and excellent place to people watch, and just wind down! The roof top bar is only open Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, and we really hope they extend the hours this summer. The staff is friendly and professional. Our only complaint is the slow service in the loby bar, Trula. Definitely will go back!

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RLT45
Lukas V, Front Office Manager at The Mayo Hotel, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear RLT45,

I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed your time in the Mayo.
We are indeed considering extending our rooftop bar hours this summer, so more people can enjoy a drink and the beautiful evenings under the big Oklahoma skies.

Thank you for your support and kind words.

Annapolis
Reviewed 3 June 2014

When in Tulsa, Oklahoma, treat yourself to a nice time at the Mayo Hotel. It is very large Art
Deco Building that serves as a Hotel, and a residences for 76 apartments. Therefore the staff seems to be well trained, and wanting to serve you. From the time you check in, and are greeted
by the doormen, to the prompt check in, this is what a Hotel experience should be. The room'
we stayed in, was very large (King bed), with a small kitchen (Fridge, Microwave, sink), desk,
easy chair, and modern bathroom.

The Lobby is enormous, with plenty of couches and chairs to sit in. The roof top affords a
bar, and a place to seek out great views of Tulsa, and the river that runs by it.

Best of all, the Hotel offers a free car service that will take you to within 4 miles of the Hotel. If
you are going out at night, they will take you and pick you up. You can leave you car parked,
or avoid a cab.

The way a Hotel should be run.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank GRAnnapolis
Dear GRAnnapolis,

Thank you so much for your detailed and elaborate review. It is our goal to impress everyone that enters our building, and I am so happy that we were able to do that during your stay.

We take pride in all the big and little details that distinguish us from any other hotel, and it is inspiring to read that you noticed so many of them.

Again, thank you for your feedback and I hope to welcome you in the Mayo again.