“Nice hotel, parking & location was not ideal for us.”

Courtyard Tulsa Downtown
Ranked #15 of 108 Hotels in Tulsa
Poteau, Oklahoma
“Nice hotel, parking & location was not ideal for us.”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We arrived at front where I stepped out of vehicle to hear a valet say "You don't want valet for that do you?" pointing at out my crew cab, short bed truck. One of the valets stated he didn't think it would fit while the other thought it might while both agreed I could just park for free out front until 8 am. I think a better greeting was in order? My employer had booked this for me and I was informed the hotel did have garage parking they would cover. The 2 valets discussed the size of my vehicle with each other & so I asked if I could please check in and come back. I return to see them obtaining the keys of a truck that happened to be larger in length, height & width to my own. I parked in the street as do not want to give my keys over to the valet after the previous conversation. Room, lobby and remainder of hotel was excellent! Stayed on the historic 7th floor! Will not return due to the parking debacle.

Room Tip: The 7th floor had unique historical details.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
luisnazario2004, General Manager at Courtyard Tulsa Downtown, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you for your review. Reviews as yours make us better as a hotel and company. I want to apologize, fore we did not meet your expectations in valet. Although they did not recieve you as they should have, they wanted to make sure that your vehicle would not be damaged. Our parking facilities are limited and spaces are small. something out of our control since we do not owned the parking facility. I do apologize for this. Hope you can give us aother chance.

Kind regards

Luis Nazario

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
austin tx
Reviewed 17 July 2014

While at a wedding we stayed at the Downtown Courtyard in Tulsa. It is in a nicely restored 1920's
Building in the heart of downtown. It is a little hard to find as there is no driveway, only a parking space for the very necessary valet parking. The desk is on the 2nd floor adjacent to a spacious Starbucks coffee room. Our room 501 was spacious with a good view and nice bathroom. Everything was spotlessly clean. We had only a 100 yard walk to the Baptist Church for the wedding and the reception was literally right across the street.
The hotel has an airport shuttle that would be convenient with the lack of parking but in our case we needed a rental car for other purposes.
We found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The check in clerk upgraded our room when we checked in and we were very pleased with our reasonable cost stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
luisnazario2004, General Manager at Courtyard Tulsa Downtown, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Thank you for staying with us. It was a pleasure to serve you. Come back and see us.

Pryor, Oklahoma
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I stayed here this past weekend, and I enjoyed every second of it! Our room (double queen) was HUGE! There was plenty of space. The room was seriously 100% clean, the lobby was awesome, and the bistro has some pretty good drinks. The employees here are really nice. Ben at check in was awesome, made us feel very welcome! I have stayed the the Hyatt Regency downtown before, but this blows them out of the water. I loved the art deco look. Can't wait to come back! Every single aspect of this property blew my mind.

Another great aspect of this was the location, my friends and I were able to walk to all of the trendy downtown eateries, and the fun bars that are in the downtown area. :)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Oklahoma
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The Downtown Courtyard Marriott is in the historic Atlas Life Building in Tulsa, Ok. The location is absolutely fabulous if you are doing a number of things in the downtown area. We were in town for "Wicked", playing at the Tulsa Performing Arts Center (PAC). It is just down the street and around the corner, easily within walking distance, which we did. The hotel and lobby are upstairs;
with shops, a bistro and the Tulsa Press Club bar downstairs. An elevator takes you to the hotel front desk and lobby. To get to the floors with rooms, you have to use your room key in the elevator, for security purposes (wonderful).
Our room was on the 9th floor and while it was mostly a typical Marriott Courtyard room, it was quite large and comfortable, with a refrigerator and coffee pot. We had a nice view of downtown Tulsa. Our room was clean and fresh and everything we needed for a nice weekend in Tulsa. It's location is very convenient to a lot of events that are always going on in the downtown area. We spent some time walking around and found a number of restaurants and bars in the area.
I loved being in the historic, old building and it's convenience to our downtown activities. For me the only negative thing was the absence of a bathtub in our room. Shower only and I am a bath girl. Be sure to check that out if you prefer a bath! Even so, we plan on staying at this hotel next time we need accommodations in the downtown area of Tulsa.

Room Tip: If you prefer a bath over a shower be sure to ask when making your reservation.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
luisnazario2004, General Manager at Courtyard Tulsa Downtown, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you for staying with us here in the Heart of Downtown Tulsa. It was a pleasure serving you.

Come back and see us again.

Hays, Kansas
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Many other reviews have expressed much of what I wanted to review about this Marriott, so I will be brief.

This property is located downtown and space is very limited as you can imagine. Valet parking is the way to go here, and the guys out front are very nice. The problem with this is the cost ! $15.00 a day to park, then a well earned tip each pull out. If your active, this could be a extra $20.00 a day in valet tips alone !

You enter this historic office building on the first floor and have to go up to the 2nd for check in lobby. A bit strange.

The 2nd floor lobby has a very nice seating area complete with coffee bar and eating area. A small connivence area is located here as well.

On the first floor is a cafe and eating grill area and a small private bar. The cafe and grill close early so check their hours.

We tried to get a drink in the bar here, but they told us it was "members only" and we were refused service. Strange to have a members only bar we can't use, in a hotel where we are staying ??

Our room was a 1 bedroom suite located on the 12th floor. The room was nice, walking past the bathroom into a small living room area. This portion of the room featured a large desk, large pull out bed/couch, end tables, and stuffed chair.

Adjoining this room is the master bedroom. Featuring a large king bed, two end tables, micro fridge / coffee bar area. Closet and chest area with plenty of drawers and storage. Ironing board, and iron, and a stuffed chair.

The view from this room is awful. The entire side of this suite is windows that look directly into the wall of another building. You see absolutely nothing here.

The bathroom is large, but not very well laid out. This room features a single sink, and large shower with very low water pressure. The shower almost feels like your taking a shower in a camper. The bathroom has a bunch of blank space that could be used for so much more!!! Only one hook to hang a towel, and the only mirror in the room is mounted to the back of the bathroom door. So if Mom is getting ready, daughter needs to stand behind the door so they can both occupy the same space! Very weird !

One huge complaint with this room is the ventilation system. The a/c blows like a hurricane in the entry room almost freezing you out, but the master bedroom gets almost NO air. I checked and tried to adjust each rooms vents to try to get this to work better, but it does not! The problem here is....in order to get the master room to a nice temp of 75 degrees, the person sleeping on the pull out in the front room is freezing at 65 degrees.
Forget about shutting the doors between the master and the front room or you will die of lack of air. The room quickly becomes very hot, stuffy, and very uncomfortable. I found that this was not a unique problem with just our 1bedroom suite as I talked to another couple staying in the same room on the 10th floor having the Exact same issue. They should really do something about this.

Service here is fantastic and friendly. The hotel is historic and very cool. The property is kept very clean and quiet. No room service is offered, and the closest place to eat at night is across the street at Jimmy Johns.

This Marriott is a nice place to stay, just be aware of it's many quirks.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jhaleyusa
I would like to start by saying thank you for your recognition on our friendliness, guest service and cleanliness. We take much pride in offering excellent sevice. However it is very unfortunate that your expectations were not met.
Although Courtyards are considered limited service, we always strive for better. I thank you for recognizing this in our cleanliness and service levels. Being a Historical Hotel, makes us unique. Having the lobby in the second floor makes us different from the rest. The historical decore of our first floor, cigar shop and additional restaurants and bars make it convenient to our guests. I do apologize about the Bar. The Press Club is a members only bar. It is a consession that is not part of the Hotel. Our Bar and Bistro is in the Second floor and open to the everyone. Our valet service is $15.00 a day. Currently the lowest priced in the area. Due to very little parking in downtown, we offer this service to accomodate all. Being in the heart of Downtown can be a challenge when assigning guestrooms with a view of city. If you ever decide to return to our beautiful downtown, give us another chance. I am sure that i will meet your expectations making sure you have a great room with a view of Downtown Tulsa.

Kind Regards

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed here for a weekend. We were attending a wedding in a church downtown, so the location was excellent. Rooms were clean and quiet. The atmosphere of the building was so cool with the history and feel of a time when downtown was the place to be. Valet service worked well, even though they were very busy. Good rate given to wedding guests. Staff very pleasant. Would certainly stay again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

This may be hardest review I have written. For the record, I have been either a Gold or Platinum level with Marriott for years. I have stayed at a wide variety of properties. We were visiting Tulsa and this property had the allure of the historic building and surprisingly low rates.

The fact this is the restored Art Deco style Atlas Life Building is a cool thing. But, while being in a historic building, you also have the limitations of the layout of an office building. This very fact, changes and limits what can be done in an old office to make it a hotel room.

There are good things about this property. The staff is very attentive and helpful. The hotel itself is spotless. Probably one of the best kept Courtyard properties I have stayed. The location is within several blocks of restaurants, the Blue Dome district and theatre. We had no issues with noise in our room.

There are negatives and in my opinion, they outweighed the positives and pushed this property down in my rating. With this not being a traditionally styled Courtyard, your are not getting the same size room and amenities. Our room was on the historic 7th floor. The room itself has good square footage, but the usage of the space in not great.

There is no closet, but an armoire. Which is not a big deal. Other than the desk chair, there is no place else to sit in the room. If you are spending any time in the room, you are relaxing or lounging in the bed. For a night or 2 on a solo trip, it may not be a big deal. If more than 1 person is staying in the room for several days, it's not great.

While on the subject of the bed, this is probably the biggest complaint and disappointment I have. The bed was shot. It was lumpy with swales. Both my wife and I woke up with backaches everyday, and not feeling very rested.

My next complaint with the room was the shower and toilet area. The shower is nice sized, but they give you next to nothing to place your bathing toiletries. Adding even one additional corner shelf would make a big difference. Also, it takes a couple of showers before you realize the trick to keep from flooding the floor at the shower door.

In addition, there are no towel bars or hooks by the shower to hang a towel. This is another easy fix. Lastly, they have a full length mirror hung on the back of the door. When the door is open to the room, it serves it's purpose with no issue. But, if you are in the shower/toilet room and close the door, you will be looking at yourself since the toilet lines up with the door, I'm going to make the assumption that most people don't want this view. Move the mirror into the room, there is plenty of wall space.

Parking is a crap shoot. You can park on the street for free during evening and overnight hours during the week and all day on the weekends. If you are not going to be up an out or you can't find a spot close, you have to use the valet parking at $15/day. 2 out of the 4 days we stayed, we had to use the valet service.

My advise, if you decide to stay at this property, understand what this property is all about. For the 1 or 2 night stay, it's OK. Longer than that, I'd look for another property.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
luisnazario2004, General Manager at Courtyard Tulsa Downtown, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
I want to start by saying thank you. Responses as yours help us as a hotel and company. I apologize for not meeting your expectations. Being that we are in a Historical Building, there are some oportunities. We make up for this providing Excellent Service to our guest. The 7th floor is our Historical floor where we turned offices to guestrooms. With that said, the rooms are smaller. Give us another chance. Come see me. I am more than positive that i will meet your expectations. Let me invite you to stay in our 1 bedroom suites. I am confident that you will love this room.

Thank you once again for your feedback

Kind regards