“Ho-Jo, Maybe No-Go” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #91 of 108 Hotels in Tulsa
Clinton, Wisconsin
“Ho-Jo, Maybe No-Go”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

First, the good. The person at the front desk who checked me in was very friendly. When the Internet went out one night, I made a quick call to the hotel office and they reset it immediately.

Now the not so good. First, the tap and shower water ranged from warm to scalding hot. One night I took a shower and literally could not get the water cold enough. After three days, it finally returned back to normal temperature. I overheard someone at breakfast joking about it and was disappointed the hotel didn't take it more seriously.

One morning, one of the cleaning staff knocked on my door for house keeping even though I had the "do not disturb" hanger hanging out. And I wasn't scheduled to check out for four more days! This led me to worry about the safety of my belongings when I left the room since I'll often put the hanger on the door when I'm gone so someone thinks twice about entering. The next day I left my room around noon, took the hanger off the door and came back at 7:30 PM to an unmade bed and a room that had not been cleaned. The people who clean the guest rooms are very friendly and do a good job when they do clean. I just expected more dependable service.

Speaking of cleaning, three out of the five mornings I went down for breakfast the tables were clearly not cleaned between each use. They have only four tables in a small area, and I was either by myself or sharing the space with a couple other guests. One of the otherwise unoccupied staff behind the desk could have easily wiped the tables down.

Which brings me to one of my biggest pet peeves: This hotel insists that breakfast items must remain in the breakfast area. Especially within the context of a hotel that provides a fridge and microwave in guest rooms, I just don't get it. Are they afraid people are going to walk off with extra food? It wasn't like there was a lot to write home about - cereal, donuts and waffles. That's it. Are they afraid I'm going to make a mess in my room? I could make a bigger mess with all the food I packed for the trip. From the customer's standpoint having to eat in the breakfast area, if you're a liberal, you might get stuck watching FOX. If you're a conservative, you might get stuck watching CNN. If you're a moderate, you might have to suffer through an episode of Sponge Bob Square Pants. Usually not on the last one, but the threat is real... Anyway, I wish hotels would cease this obnoxious policy, especially when their breakfast areas aren't well cleaned.

A few other items of interest. The ice machine was located right across the hall from me. People took the liberty to use it at all hours. I also had neighbors one night who tried multiple times to open my interior adjoining door. I wasn't too concerned as it was dead bolted, but it was disconcerting nonetheless. Another night, somebody came through with a leaf blower at 8:00 PM. That's not too late in my book for leaf blowing, but you'd think that could have been done earlier in the day for the sake of the guests. My toilet also occasionally flushed spontaneously.

The bottom line for me is, does the price justify a future stay? My answer is, only if I cannot find another room in the area for $5 or so more per night. I'd stay here again if I had to, but it definitely wasn't one of my best hotel experiences. Far from the worst, but for the price it could have been a lot better.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms across from the ice machine if you like peace and quiet. You might also try to avoid...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Mike S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Florence, Kentucky
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

The front desk clerk was nice enough. Non Smoking room had cigarette burns on end tables. Cigarette smoke smell woke us up in the middle of the night when the AC kicked on. AC was cold. Pretty sure people live here & very few passing thru rent here. Felt unsafe with location of motel & clientele. Floors, sink nor toilet were clean. Bed was comfy. It was a "king.". It was as wide as a king but as short as a full. Wouldn't stay here again, but could have been worse.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Tulsa hotels

San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

I enjoyed My night's stay at the Howard Johnson Tulsa East on East Skelly Drive. about the only disappointing thing was that the internet had problems later that night, and was out all night, until morning time. the problem was out of the hands of the people who work there, it was with Cox, who supplies the signal, they were nice enough to let Me know once Cox got the problem fixed, the man who works the desk at night told Me that losing the signal is a fairly common problem with the Cox signal. but the employee's at the Hojo were great, about everything. the price for value received was excellent also

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
Saint Paul, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Location and staff was nice. Although she did tell me to go find housekeeper for more toilet paper. Our housekeeper nevered came to refill anything during our stay. We started to pile up garbages in our room, ran out of towels and eventually ran out of toilet paper. You only get two pillows per bed and they do not have any extras. Our room key did not work twice, on two separate days. You would think this would've been fixed the first time. Bathroom curtain was dirty. TV remote was so ancient, did not work most of the time.

• Stayed May 2014