“Love the Salsa”

Ranked #48 of 1,343 Restaurants in Tulsa
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Abuelo's invites you to experience the incredible flavors of Mexico, combining homemade cooking with rich flavors of coastal and interior Mexican cuisine
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Whenever we go we would always come back with a bottle of their excellent salsa. Nice ambiance and good food.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

We met a couple at this location to have lunch. The service and food was excellent, however a little on the pricy side for Mexican food. Still there were lots of customers.Right on 71st Street with easy parking almost at the door.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

I did a drive by visit to Abuelo's because it was near where I was staying on business. Very pleased with a huge variety of choices and the quality. Choices of Tex-Mex dishes and uh, non Tex-Mex choices?? The chicken tortilla soup was excellent. The enchiladas angelica were also very good with some authentic red and green sauces the tasted fresh from scratch. I ordered the papas (potatoes) con chile that tasted like mashed potatoes with bland white cheese cream sauce. I had a very different expectation of what this was supposed to be based on the name. I originally ordered Negra Modela and they were out and also ordered their soup of the day (Green chile chicken soup) and they were out so that tells me this is very good or coming in for dinner at 8:40PM on a Wednesday is too late for them not to run out of things. Thought it was a bit odd upon arrival to be directed to bar seating (I came alone) rather than given a choice of dining areas, but that's no big deal. The wait staff was very good once they got around to the table. Moderately priced. I would come back but would want to check out many other mexican food places in Tulsa first. I would guess this is a chain restaurant, I don't know, I'm from Colorado.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Different from your usual Mexican place. Inside decor is very well done. You do not feel cramped at all, more like you are outside in the middle of a Mexican home's courtyard. The food was excellent. The chips and salsa was great for starters, especially the green salsa with pineapple( sounds crazy, but it is great). I had bacon wrapped stuffed shrimp and was blown away. Six large, well stuffed shrimp wrapped in crispy bacon, southwest vegetable medley, and rice flavored with a hint of lime. My colleague had a southwest chicken salad that she said was one of the best dinner salads she has ever had. Service was excellent, staff friendly and helpful and prices reasonable for what you get. Definitely on my list for next time I am in Tulsa.

1  Thank HJK13
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Through thick and thin, Abuelo's in Tulsa has been our Mexican food place of choice for a number of years. The food is consistent and the wait staff have nearly always been very attentive. That having been said, our last visit to Abuelos in Tulsa on Cinco de Mayo was a huge disappointment. We were seated and gave our order to the waitperson. He was a younger fellow. I wasn't very hungry and so I ordered an appetizer for my meal at the same time as my wife ordered her meal. He didn't ask if I wanted the appetizer at the same time as her entree. Needless to say, he brought my food out well ahead of my wife's entree. I wasn't going to eat in front of someone else who hadn't received their food, besides, he forgot to bring me anything to eat with or a napkin. I didn't touch my food. When the waiter brought my wife's food, she had to ask him for silverware and a napkin, elsewise, he wouldn't have brought that. Even when he did bring her service items, he still didn't think to bring mine. Our waiter didn't come back after a few minutes to ask if everything was satisfactory. When I talked to the manager the next day, she assured me that she would have a meeting with all staff to remind them of what good wait service is supposed to entail. She also sent cards for two free entrees. In this case, the management is knowledgeable and attempting to do right, but it seems they underestimated the amount of training and monitoring that younger wait staff need, because they just aren't naturally service oriented, as is the case with some older generations. We will, of course go back to Abuelo's in Tulsa because of our long good history with them and the very appropriate response from the manager.

Been to Abuelo’s? Share your experiences!