“Never again!”

Ambassador Hotel Tulsa, Autograph Collection
Ranked #1 of 109 Hotels in Tulsa
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Okay, so last time we stayed I said never again but after a several years I decided to give it another chance. Never again - and I mean it this time! This time I upgraded to an Executive King - the standard queens are just too small. The size of the king is nice but not what the pictures show. Instead of booking through hotels.com where I would get credit for my stay towards a free night stay, I purposely booked through the hotel website thinking I'd be treated to the nicer room in this price range - wrong! There weren't many guests so they could have easily given us a room that at least matched the picture. I knew I'd be spending alot of time in the room this visit so I wanted a sofa, a lounge chair or at the very least one chair with a foot rest. Don't get me wrong, this is a nice hotel and it's clean and if I could afford their most expensive suites I would definitely stay there again. The towels and bedding are top notch. The people are friendly. The bar/restaurant is excellent. But if they were smart they would give free upgrade or at least the room they advertise in the pictures. I think they train their staff to give the worst rooms first - that's been my experience.

Room Tip: Fitness room is on 9th floor so if you workout, ask for 9th floor room.
Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Andrew M, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Tulsa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2014

Dear Airotciv,

I sincerely appreciate your candid feedback about our hotel. While I realize that these unfortunate events happened earlier this year, I would still like to address your comments.

We do appreciate that you booked your reservation through our hotel directly as this ensures fewer mistakes and allows us to engage with our guests sooner. The room type that you booked, the Executive King, is our most common room and averages around 400 square feet with plenty of room for most of our travelers. While there are a few different configurations of this same room type, all of our Executive King rooms have a lounge chair as well as a desk chair and bench along the foot of the bed. If this was not the case in your room, I am truly sorry as our preparations for your arrival were obviously not checked closely enough.

Regardless of the issues with your room, I do appreciate the kind words you had for the rest of your stay. We do our best to provide the finest items possible for our guests, many of which you mentioned (high-quality linen, great food in the Chalkboard Restaurant, precise and quality customer service). These are just some of the amenities each of our guests can enjoy.

Again, thank you for your review. I sincerely wish you the best of luck finding a hotel that better fits your needs if and when you return to the Tulsa area.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

RECOMMENDATION:
Definitely get the "Shop Utica Square package" as it is only $50 more than the base price and includes a $50 visa gift card that can be used nearly anywhere (not just Utica square), an Ambassador branded tote bag, a $33 voucher for breakfast at the hotel restaurant, and two martinis at the bar at the hotel restaurant (I completely forgot about using those).

SUMMARY
The room was large and comfortable. The staff was very friendly, but not too overpowering or fake. If you need a bit of noise to sleep, bring a fan. The room is completely silent. The Escalade shuttle was a nice touch. The restaurant was great for breakfast. I put friends down even though it was me and my family because I don't want anyone to get confused and think that this is a place for rowdy children. It isn't. Don't bring them. The guests won't like it and the kids won't like that there isn't a pool.

FULL REVIEW

It took a little while for us to find the hotel as we were driving down Main Street. We knew it had to be around 14th and Main Street. We finally saw the overhang for "The Chalkboard" and remembered that the restaurant was named that. The parking lot was basically empty besides us and maybe 2 other cars, but that was fine with me. The parking lot was a tad dark, but I didn't have any concerns parking my Mercedes back there (especially after seeing the cop car parked next door). They have a current body-style Cadillac Escalade to take you anywhere you want to go within 5 miles of the hotel and valet parking is available, but unneeded.

The room was very large (Double Queen), which wasn't surprising since there's only 7 on that floor. This is one of few hotels that offer two queen beds and that's what we like. Unlike other hotels that have two queen beds in a room, they aren't extremely short (like in the Marriott). The room was already a nice, cool temperature for us and the extra pillows I requested were waiting on the bed (usually when I request extra pillows or towels, I'm ignored). There were several books on the shelf and apparently a library on the second floor to choose more. It was very clean and the bed was comfortable. The water pressure was great in the shower. The bathroom was nice. I'd have liked the sink and everything to be in the bathroom and be of a design that matched the hotel and room a bit better (it seemed more modern than it should have been). I understand that it being outside of the bathroom is to let other people get ready while someone is using the bathroom/shower. The chocolates on the pillow were also quite good.

The restaurant the next morning was pretty empty like the hotel the night before, We had a server with a great personality that wasn't afraid to tell you what she preferred. She was very fun and lively. Well, we all tried some different things and most of them were really good. The coffee was excellent and they even made a new pot for us. The stuffed French toast was amazing. The breakfast tacos were my personal favorite. The eggs benedict is what I got (I've always wanted to try them). My only complaint was the Hollandaise sauce was a little underpowering/bland. Everything else on the eggs tasted good even though I don't like my eggs runny or Canadian bacon (I said I wanted to try it not that I thought I'd love it), Even though none of us really eat/like breakfast, we enjoyed ourselves and would definitely get breakfast every time we come. There were still several things that we wanted to try on the breakfast menu. We could have had it as room service had we chosen that route. Our room package included breakfast for two (a voucher for $33 off of breakfast), so our total for 3 (including an almost 35% tip) was $25 ($10 before tip).

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Dear FastidiousFoodie,

Thank you for your wonderful and in-depth review of our hotel! I am honored to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and I will be sure to pass along your wonderful comments to our staff and team members. Of course, it is because of their hard work and customer service that our guests, such as yourself, can experience true luxury in Tulsa.

One of the many benefits of our hotel are our packages that we offer to guests. For your particular stay, you were able to enjoy one of our shopping packages that helps to showcase all of the great retail that is close to the hotel. There are many things that Tulsa can offer our guests and we are happy to help showcase our home town.

Again, I sincerely appreciate your kind words and feedback about our hotel. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again if your travels ever bring you back to the Tulsa area.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

We booked this hoping for a classic hotel and it was. The room was huge and very nicely done. The staff was helpful and friendly. The room and hotel were very clean. The location is great...very near the downtown activities. I was happy they had a shuttle driver to take us anywhere...no driving required. The parking is very handy. The restaurant and breakfast package were very good. The only bad point was a bad mattress. This was a King bed and we rolled into a dip in the center. Still, I'll be sure to return.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of downtown.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Andrew M, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Tulsa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2014

Dear guynamebob,

Thank you for your review of our hotel and I am glad that you enjoyed yourself while in town. I regret that you had an issue with your mattress as a good nights sleep is paramount, especially in a hotel! We have addressed this issue and replaced the mattress in your particular room, as well as checked the other beds in all of our rooms. While the issue happened during your stay, hopefully this will reduce the possibility of other guests experiencing this same issue.

However, it sounds like the remainder of your stay was satisfactory! I am glad that you were able to take advantage of complimentary on-site parking as well as our complimentary luxury transportation. These are just some of the perks that all of our guests her at the Ambassador are able to enjoy.

We certainly hope to have you back to the Ambassador the next time you are in town. Please feel free to call our team at any time and we will be happy to assist you.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

This hotel was great. The room was very spacious,clean and comfortable.
I look forward to staying here again in the future. The was a last minute reservation and would definitely recommend it. The hotel staff recommended a steakhouse close by and made reservations for me and my group.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 December 2013

From the moment you walk into the lobby, you feel like you are in the lap of luxury. We stayed here for the Route 66 Marathon and though it is not as close to the start/finish, the complimentary hotel shuttle will take you and pick you up steps from both! Let me add that it was freezing in Tulsa all weekend but our room was so comfy and warm. The bed was so warm that I almost wanted to skip the race. The room has a refrigerator, big screen tv, a small library, and a large bathroom. The free WIFI gave a good strong signal. Our room was a corner room with windows along two walls and we were worried that there would be noise from the streets below but the room was very quiet. And the locally produced chocolates that they left on our pillows were so tasty, we had to ask for a couple extra. The Chalkboard was a nice place to relax with friends at the bar or have a quiet dinner. The menu was top notch as were the wait staff. The complimentary shuttle picked us up at the airport and took us anywhere we wanted to go! We did not need to rent a car. Did I mention that they even have butt warmers for the passengers. I can not wait till next year's marathon but I may only do the half so I can relax more in our room.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room. They seem to be roomier.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 December 2013

This is a great hotel. The rooms were really nice and quite large with comfy beds. The restaurant downstairs (chalkboard) has excellent food and the staff were great. I will definetely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We stayed here as a treat after our engagement party and were so impressed. Our room was huge and gorgeous. The bed was so comfortable and the room offered plenty of space to spread out. The hotel lobby was beautiful and the staff is friendly. I would love to stay again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple