“Terrible is an understatement”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Tulsa - I-44
Ranked #16 of 109 Hotels in Tulsa
Reviewed 30 November 2009

Where to begin with this miserable experience? Let's start by finding out at check in that the BMX Grand Nationals were in Tulsa over Thanksgiving. Imagine the Henne family times 60 and you start to see that this was the wrong time to be in Tulsa. Young teens throwing ice from the 6th floor to the buffett area. The same buffett area that had transformed into a bicycle garage. Now picture a power fail at the hotel in the early hours of Thanksgiving morning, and no hot water or lights from 7-9am. Not to be outdone, one of the two beds was broken when we arrived. The wooden frame had been destroyed prior to our arrival. After several complaints, they finally moved us to another room.

This was in the top 5 worst hotel experiences I have had. So bad that I will very likely boycott Embassy Suites from here on out.

Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank ShyGnome
There are newer reviews for Embassy Suites by Hilton Tulsa - I-44

Reviewed 23 November 2009

This is probably one of the older Embassy Suites! But for $125 you get 2 room suite with 2 TVs, 2 rooms, 3 beds and free happy hour & hot cooked to order breakfast. This hotel has a descent steakhouse on premise. It was dated but we asked to meet the chef "Big Al" and he cooked us one great meal. There is better food in Tulsa but this restaurant was in the hotel! They have a descent sports bar too! And a indoor pool and game room for our kids. It was perfect for our annual wrestling tournament!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 November 2009

Curtis and his crew are totally amazing! I travel all over the US for business and let me tell you, Embassy Suites in Tulsa beats everyone hands down. One of the most incrediable things I like about them is that Curtis, Big Al, Billie, etc treat you like you are their family. Its like being at home. The food, the staff, and the hotel atmosphere is totally out of this world! You will regret going anywhere else and thats a Arkansas promise!!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 October 2009

I was never acknowldeged at the front desk. I was the only customer waiting to be checked in and there were four employees gabbing for ten minutes before I had to ask to be checked in. I was told that the room I pre-paid for would be ready at three and there wasnt a room ready for me. I was rudly spoken to by the employee when I asked her why she needed my credit card when I had already paid for my room. She insinuated that I would be someone to damage a hotel room. Then when I got back to my home I found a $41.00 dollar charge to my account. I called the hotel 3 times before someone could expplain to me that it was an authorization charge. (which is what the employee shouldve told me in the first place.) Throughout my stay I was rudly spoken to and had to fight for my service. This is not a full service hotel.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 9llizjames
Reviewed 23 September 2009

I stayed for just one night. The hotel it fine...looks like they might me in the middle of an update-my room was updated with two flat screens...but was missing both a hairdryer and iron/ironing board. When I called downstairs to get a hairdryer- she said she would see about a hairdryer - I said see? I asked her if she was going to call back...and she said she would just send it up. Luckily, I was able to steam my clothes out in the bathroom so no iron needed. Now we will get to the real challenge. When I checked in, I asked about the shuttle to the airport - and asked how much time to allow. The gentleman at the desk said it runs whenever you need it...and I said not at a specific time? He said no. I also asked him when I should leave for the airport - based on my flight time. Since the shuttle schedule seemed just a bit sketchy....I got to the front desk 15 minutes before my intended departure. Well, surprise, there was no shuttle driver. They said they would call a cab and pick up the cab cost. Okay...fair enough. They said the cab would be there in 15 minutes. I parked myself across from the front desk. After 20 minurtes i got up and asked again. Oh...he hasn't gotten here yet? She called again and said it was be just a couple more minutes. From beginning to end...it was just over 30 minutes. Good thing, I allowed extra time.
The updating is much needed...the cooked to order breakfast is good and overall I would say it was just okay.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank nancyesca
Reviewed 22 August 2009

I read the reviews here after my wife booked the hotel and I got really concerned. We've stayed at other Embassy Suites and have had good experiences before. We decided to see for ourselves and found it to be fine. The hotel is located at the intersection of two major highways and is very convenient to most of Tulsa. There are at least 10 other hotel/motels in the same area, with a Marriott Courtyard right next door.

It seems they are taking steps to address all the problems listed in the reviews I read here. On check in, they made us sign a code of conduct with over 10 items on it. We were also informed that there were daily cocktails from 5:30pm to 7:30pm and Breakfast would be served from 7am to 10:30am since it was a weekend. I later found a large sign over the breakfast bar that clearly showed all the times, including weekday breakfast hours: 6am to 9am. Being a weekend, there were a lot of families with small kids. We also saw one guest staying with their dog.

The hotel has a large atrium, with all the rooms facing it, which make the hallways and lower atrium loud. Once in our room, we could not hear the noise. The room was clean and freezing. We adjusted the thermostat up and it was fine. Five of us were very comfortable in the suite. Breakfast Sunday morning was average, with omelets made to order and a full assortment of breakfast fare, pastries and fruit. We did not attend the cocktail.

I will be posting this same review on Yahoo Travel.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank matermine
Reviewed 7 July 2009

1st suite we were put in, bed broken, toilet would not stop running. Moved into new suite in which TV did not work in one bedroom and bed was broken. Called to have fixed but not done until asked a third time. Hot tub was green and smelled. In the evening we went to the hotel restaurant for dessert, no waiters or hostess. After we grabbed a waiter and ordered, he brought us a bill but no food. After thirty minuets we went to the front desk to take care of it. They brought us dessert upstairs but forgot spoons for ice cream. - Air conditioning in bedroom had loud rattling noise so I called for a portable fan, they sent an electrician, but no fan. He could not fix it, I called three times for a fan. It was midnight until we received one, my nine year old daughter was in the room with me and we could not sleep all that time. The portable fan was broken and would not stand unless propped up, the whole cage was broken and falling apart. - Asked front desk the day before what time free breakfast was over, told it stayed open all morning and there was no closing time. In the morning at 9am when we went down to eat, it was closed and we were told it closed at 9am. When we told the front desk that we were told there was no closing time she replied that if there were no lines they closed it down. We were not informed of this. There were other problems with the front desk when we tried to get directions for the Riverwalk. She told us to look in the brochures over by the wall. We could not find the directions, I asked if she knew where it was, she finally told us short directions which happened to be sixty street blocks away instead of explaining that we could use the highway. Overall the hotel was a broken down dump and the worst place to go. The hotel ruined our vacation and was the most horrible experience of our lives.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family