“Attended Conference” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #30 of 108 Hotels in Tulsa
Edgerton, Kansas
“Attended Conference”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

This was a conference of Rotary International Youth Exchange students and Rotary volunteers. Friday thru Sunday. The hotel is easy to find with plentiful free insure parking. The front desk was efficient and helpful. The rooms are as expected at a Marriott. The restaurant food was good with a nice buffet breakfast. Our only issue was the with the Wi-fi. It was really needed during sessions and it was completely unreliable to non-existent. Just something to keep in mind.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
TMSHGM, Manager at Marriott Tulsa Hotel Southern Hills, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Greetings,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Marriott Tulsa Hotel Southern Hills.

We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. I will share them with our staff. Our goal is to address any concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.

You’re a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. If I may be of assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Joe Gaudet

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

My visit got off to a bad start when I tried to arrange a pickup by the "free airport shuttle" on the website. As a cost-cutting move, they won't pick you up until after 6 pm. So at 4:30 I was stuck with a 90-minute wait or $40-$50 cab ride that wasn't in my budget. Upon arrival, friendly people who explained the hotel had to cut costs and it was too expensive to have a driver on shift in the afternoon, but it translates to the business traveler that they didn't care enough about my business to pick me up. They should make this clear on the website before you book and pre-pay.
My room on an elite floor was spotless and nicely appointed, and with my airline status I had access to a concierge room on the 11th floor with a cash "honor" bar and limited snacks of pizza flatbread and nuts. The concierge breakfast included a nice variety of bread, fruit and freshly scrambled eggs, juice and coffee. Having a dinner meeting at the hotel was not an option, as the main restaurant/grill appeared to be closed on a Tuesday evening and the only options were the lobby bar and a sports bar serving burgers and not much else. Internet was fast once I got connected. A client gave me a ride back to the airport. Not a terrible stay, but I'll try somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: The ninth floor was nice and extremely quiet.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Chas E, Night Manager at Marriott Tulsa Hotel Southern Hills, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Thank you for your sharing your comments about your recent visit. I can imagine how frustrating it can be to not have things unfold as planned. Providing a brilliant experience is our number one goal and I apologize we fell short of that. We adjust the Courtesy Shuttle availability on many factors, including the number of arriving flights at any given time. While our website does not provide a specific schedule, it does ask that you call to make an appointment as advance reservations for the shuttle are required. Again, I apologize for the frustration you encountered and look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Chas Emerson | Night Manager
Gloucester, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

My room was clean, spacious and all you could ask for while staying in the Tulsa area. the staff were excellent and extremely helpful. There is a huge car park outside the hotel which hosted a classic car show at the weekend - which was a bonus !

There is a nice restaurant that serves great food, as well as a Starbucks which was well used during my stay.

I would highly recommend this hotel and would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Denver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

This property was recently remodeled and has all of the amenities a business traveler needs. The rooms are clean and quiet. I was impressed by the level of service. I arrived late and when I asked the time that room service closed, the desk clerk immediately took my order and got it to the kitchen before it closed 5 minutes later. Being on a special diet, I was glad that I was able to have a late dinner in my room rather than having to go back out and try to find something to eat at that hour. The service I experienced was that good for all three nights.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank cporter187
Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

In Tulsa to attend a graduation in another town, we stayed at Southern Hills (3 rooms). We were treated royally. But the best part was as we dined in the really nice restaurant. Our party included a young mother with 3 year old twins. the restaurant staff could not have been more helpful in finding things and portions the kids would like to eat. It was nice that they didn't move us to the back of the room or treat us like we had the plague which can happen in nicer places when you bring younger children.

The lady running the small shop was great with the kids as well and helped us with change for some dollar bills when the kids needed more money to throw in the fountain by the staircase.

Really economical and even better on the weekend.

Room service was great as well.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank don7614
Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

Only stayed here on a brief one night visit, but the stay was decent. Check-in went smoothly (I arrived just shortly after 4 pm), desk staff were friendly and accommodating; I requested both a high floor and a late checkout, received both. Lobby is very nice, rooms are simply standard Marriott fair, so nothing fancy, but mine was very clean. Only complaint was that it took over 10 minutes to get anything other than cold/lukewarm water in the shower; learned quickly to start the shower water 15 minutes early if I didn't want to freeze. My "view" was of the nearby TV station's satellite dishes, the hotel roof, and the parking lot; if you want to avoid that, consider asking for a room facing either 71st or Wheeling Ave - though there may be a noise trade off.

Room Tip: Rooms on front of hotel probably have better views, backside includes the conference facility roof...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank OkieGirl03
Leawood, Kansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

I stayed in this hotel during a weekend event in Tulsa. I was very disappointed with check-in because there was a long line and a long wait. There was a soccer tournament in town and it appeared several teams were staying at this hotel, however I was not there for the tournament but I got stuck in the mayhem. At prime check-in time, there were only 2 people working at the front desk. They were having to check-in lots of people and at the same time, answer all the phone calls coming to the front desk. The employees did a good job and kept a good attitude although it was obvious they were overwhelmed and needed at least 2, if not 3 more employees to help. Then, someone had a problem with their reservation and it was all over. That tied up one employee so he could not check anyone else in while he and the guest tried to sort out their problem. The hotel was left with 1 employee and a line out the door for check-in. I understand hotels can get busy. However, they can look in their reservation system and know when they are going to get very busy (i.e. a soccer tournament in town and everyone in the tournament will be checking in at the same time) and then staff up to meet the need. This hotel did not have adequate staffing levels to check-in a soccer tournament and it was very disappointing to have to stand in line for 30 minutes, when I was not part of this group.

Otherwise, the hotel was easy to find and in a nice area with a good selection of restaurants in the area, not too far away. Decor was nice and the room was clean. It was very cold outside and the window frames developed so much condensation, water was all over the windows, dripping like a faucet. Probably due to the age of the building. Otherwise the room was nice and comfortable.

I would stay here again, however first I will try to find out how full they expect to be and if they plan to have adequate front desk staffing.

Room Tip: Be wary of the windows in very cold weather, everything near them will be soaking wet from condensat...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo